UKC

Chest Harness for Big Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Pelly 14 May 2009
Can anybody recommend a chest harness which has gear loops as well as being rated (strength) for use with something like a Croll, etc.

Looked around various websites but mainly industrial gear crops up.

Something simple, couple of gear loops, strong enough to put a crab through and support your weight.

Thanks,

Simon...
 jkarran 14 May 2009
In reply to Simon Pelly:

I got one years ago from Bernie's cafe in Ingleton, made for caving so I just added gear loops. It's not 'rated' but then it doesn't need to be, your Croll clips to your harness, chest harness only holds you upright. It's tough enough it wont rip off in a fall.

IIRC Blackdiamond do/did one and I would be surprised if Metolius and Pika don't do something similar.

Croll isn't much use on a big wall (assuming you plan to aid, not just jug the haul line), you really want a pair of handled jammers.

jk
 jkarran 14 May 2009
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Which 'wall are you thinking of?
jk
 IPPurewater 15 May 2009
In reply to Simon Pelly: There are three climbing chest harnesses shown here.

http://www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/canoe/kayak/uk/shop/rock-climbing-hardwar...

Quite how you would attach them sufficiently tightly to a Croll I don't know.

I may be inclined to use the standard caving chest strap to rig the croll. This would give a more efficient rig than with two handled jammers, providing there was no too much ascending on slabs.
 jkarran 15 May 2009
In reply to IPPurewater:

Croll + Handled jammer is very efficient for one specific task, ascending steep or free hanging rope, great for caving. That's why I asked if he was just planning to jug the haul line (Croll would be ok on a steep wall) or actively get involved with the lead rope (Croll would be really annoying especially in a tight corner where you have no freedom to hang back away from the rope to work). Two handled jammers is actually better than you might expect on a free hanging rope.

Anyway, that's just my opinion having used both setups to good effect.

jk
 Paddy Duncan 15 May 2009
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Yates, here:
www.yatesgear.com/climbing/wall/index.htm#3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...