UKC

Argos Pro-Action tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've just spent 6 nights in Knoydart in a £24.44 Argos Pro-Action tent.

I found it just as good as my Macpac Minaret once up and it coped well with high winds and rain.

Wouldn't like to pitch it in pouring rain too often as it goes up inner first. Other than that I'd recommend it highly if you're looking for a decent 3-season tent.
 Jamie Hageman 26 May 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson: Brilliant! How much does it weigh all in? Are the poles fibreglass?

chris_s 26 May 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson:

Got back from Knoydart yesterday with mine! Was also pretty impressed.
 brieflyback 26 May 2009
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Listed weight is 2.1kg. Is it definitely a 1-man, or could you squeeze two under-10s in there top and tail?
 chris_s 26 May 2009
In reply to Martin76:

Once you dump the heavy weight stuff sack and swap the pegs for lighter ones, the weight comes in just under 2kg.

The foot of the tent is very low, but you could get two under-10s in side by side if they're not too big and don't mind a bit of a squash.
Jonno 26 May 2009

I reserved one today. I was going to buy one anyway for a three day hike after they were recommended, but someone on here posted a link this morning, showing them half price.
As I'm not a hard core serious backpacker I was buggered if I was going to spend two hundred quid on something I'll use very occasionally.
 Toby S 26 May 2009

This one? : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/c_1/1|category_roo...

Might have to give it a shot if it's as good as you say. For that price I wouldn't argue!
Ian 26 May 2009
They are brilliant. Used mine in 15 countries and it only died due to a bike crash that tore it up
 Timmd 26 May 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson:It almost seem's picky to ask,but can you open the flysheet zip from either end?

Cheers
Tim
 chris_s 26 May 2009
In reply to Timmd:

No - single zip on the outer, but a double on the inner.
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> Are the poles fibreglass?

No, they're alloy. At least, they were in the last outing of this tent a few years back.
Yep for the Argos link.

It has alloy poles. I binned the guy lines and the pegs it came with and replaced them with thinner ones. It weighs around 2kg.

Size-wise it fitted me and the dog fairly well. I'm 6'2" and the dog's a collie so a fair bit of room.
In reply to chris_s:

You weren't camped at Kinlochourn a week past Saturday were you? With a motorbike? Saw a green one there when we walked past.
 leeangell 26 May 2009

Ive been raving about this tent for ages, my son has used his in anger for nearly two years now in snow and high winds its never wavered, its looking a bit scarred now but still going strong, unfortunatly I cant convice my wife I need a seventh tent or id get one myself!
 Mick Ward 26 May 2009
In reply to leeangell:
> (In reply to CH)
>
> Ive been raving about this tent for ages...

I got one a few years ago for a fiver (yeah, I've got posh tastes!) Been fine so far. Now I know feck all about tents (do they stay up?) but my mate Daz, who sold tents for a living, reckoned the poles were pretty high quality. He was amazed the tent wasn't retailing for £80 at least.

Mick

In reply to Mick Ward:
have you seen the teepees on the argos site?! now thats what i want :P
In reply to The Green Giant: and they cost less :P
 wilkie14c 26 May 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:
Watch the zip on the inner. I had mine tensioned tightly due to pegging out with door open, forced the zip and it tore. my fault, but argos only too happy to exchance it. (I ''forgot'' to put the poles in when i swapped it so now have a spare set) Search deeper on here if you can go back far enough, there is a link to an american tent that costs 'considerably' more and from looks alone, it is exactly the same as the pro acton

You've got to be kidding. What kind of winds are we talking?!

I'd be shitting myself in a £25 tent if the wind was over 10mph!
 wilkie14c 26 May 2009
In reply to Neil Kazimierz Sheridan:
it won't long in Patagonia but for the odd windy night away its fine! Just needs (as with any tent) a bit of thought when pitching. Shelter as much as you can from the wind, behind car, wall whatever. And peg out to get the fly as taught as poss.
Seriously, the only think dodgy about it is the Pro-Action label (if you bother about such things) Should the label read a 'more respected' name, this tent would sell for 3 figures. Just shows how much we are being ripped off OR is it that the big names do all the R and D that puts up the prices and along come firms that copy their designs and sell em for pennies??

The first night I'd say at least 30mph gusts. The tent was pitched side on which made it worse but I didn't at any point feel really concerned. Pitched it end on for each of the following nights and had no problems (but the wind was less strong).

I used 2 extra guylines on it, either side, to help with stability.

Tested it it at c750m a few weeks before at the top of Jock's Road near Glen Shee. My friend in a Laser Competition spent most of the night thinking his tent was going to fall down. In retrospect I'm sure I was only kept awake by the sound of his swearing. Really, you wouldn't have known there was a storm outside.

Woke up to this though, which was nice;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chenderson/3568503120/

Downside - Pitching inner first though is a big deal in heavy rain. I waited one evening for 15 mins until it stopped before putting it up.
 Mckenzie 27 May 2009

Thats actually really good to know. Im one for running to well know brands when i need stuff, like snow and rock or blacks for tents, etc. But this is really good to know, you can get good quality tents from Argos.

I'd be interested to know if the Pro action 2 man tent was the same quality. Looks similar, weighs quite a bit more (3.26kg) but actually costs less (£19.99) which causes me some concern. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

M
In reply to Colin Henderson and Blanchie14c:

Bloody hell. Of course my Akto only weighs 1.5kg and I've had a 'good' night with 70mph gusts and no doubt it can take a lot more but this one could have saved me a lot of cash! Humm.. like £280.

Saving grace is that you can't pitch if it's raining lol.
skemste 27 May 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson: i've had mine a few years now. its not the greatest in wind so a bit of thought required. but its fantastic in the rain ive been in some real downpours and its never let a drop in. my first choice if i am out alone, and it was only fifteen quid in an argos sale.
skemste 27 May 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson: obviously i mean the pro action not the akto

FrankBooth 27 May 2009
buggers just put the price up to er £32.65! must have been a shovelful of click-throughs from this thread!
 Dr Rorlasaurus 27 May 2009

If you wash the Pro-Action in Nikwax TX Direct I am sure it will become water repellent enough you can pitch it in the rain!

Terra Nova inner-pitch first tents are treated so that you CAN pitch them in the rain - a little of why we pay more for them.

Plus TN hydrostatic head is generally near 5000mm on the flysheet and 10000mm on the groundsheet, whereas on the Pro-Action it is just 2000mm and that doesn't tell you where (presuming fly)

We are not being "ripped off" by buying an expensive tent, ithe technology is there to justify it, it's just in most cases we won't be pushing that tent far enough to see the benefits over a cheap Argos tent!
Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 27 May 2009
In reply to ligemidio: A friend of mine went on an Alpine Club trip to the Caucasus a few years ago and took with him an old Eurohike tent for base camp and pitched it on the glacier no problem and it was fine. The rest of the group had much more 'reputable' branded tents that were equally fine but considerably more expensive. I have used a Karrimor Beta tent while camping on the valle Blance and that was fine. Obviously in more testing conditions I would want more assurance from a stronger tent.
As a quick aside I managed to get a Marmot Asgard two man tent from Cotswolds last week for £190 !
Slugain Howff 27 May 2009

Ordered one yesterday based on the positive comments here.

Slugain
 LastBoyScout 27 May 2009
In reply to Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC):

I had a Blacks "Dalesman" tent for years - bought as a cheap tent for a trip to Kenya, it got used loads. On an airfield in a known 30mph wind, it didn't budge at all, while more other cheaper and more expensive (but sometimes badly pitched) tents were flapping around like mad.

It was heavy, but I'd never bought it as a hike tent.

Only stopped using it when the flysheet got turned into bedding by mice in the scout hut.
 TobyA 27 May 2009
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> in a known 30mph wind, it didn't budge at all, while more other cheaper and more expensive (but sometimes badly pitched) tents were flapping around like mad.

Yep - exactly. The reliability of tents relies massively on the experience of the user. If a tent is well cut meaning that the structure is taut, and it is pitched carefully accounting for wind, drainage, etc. a tent doesn't have to be particularly expensive to stand up in all sorts of horrible weather.

I owned a tent that looks very similar to the Argos one, that I got in Australia in 1992 for about 100 aussie bucks. It was brilliant and I used for hundreds of night for the next 10 years, it stood up to Ben Nevis storms that flattened a neighbour TN Quasar, to torrential rain in the Ecrin, snow high in the Himalayas etc. It didn't even have guy lines, but was wind-cheating and so well cut that it didn't need them. That design is based on the clip model of tents that Sierra Designs has been making for donkey's years: http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=14 It's a shape that works.

Having a good tent is great, but just by being really boringly obsessive about pitching it perfectly, you can get cheaper tents to stand up to a lot. Even fibre glass poles work fine in summer storms - they only become a problem in sub-zero temps when they can splinter. I have a three man dome for camping with my kids that I got for 30 quid from Decathlon, it stood up fine to a driving wind and rain storm in Denmark of all places, which was doing structural damage elsewhere! http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2007/06/wild-camping.html

I think that modern tents, even at the bottom end of the market are being better and better cut, and that makes the biggest difference.
 chris_s 27 May 2009

No, I've got an orange one. Camped one night on the walk into Barrisdale and the next in Coire Dhorrcail.

We also had gusts of about 30mph on the second night with some heavy rain showers, but the tent seemed fine. Not sure how it would stand up to constant strong winds, though.
 Mick Ward 27 May 2009
In reply to The Green Giant:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)

> have you seen the teepees on the argos site?! now thats what i want :P

But that's because you're a giant! And your mates are probably giants too. I'm only little - and tuck away nicely in a little tent. Enjoy your teepee. No wild parties, mind.

Mick

Mick Ward 27 May 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

Thanks for the tip. As I said, I'm a complete numpty about tents (and err... other gear.) Just thought you couldn't go wrong for a fiver (or £25) as long as it stayed up - but it seems sturdier than I imagined. Daz (my tent guru mate) was pretty impressed.

Mick (the complete numpty's gear reviewer)
 brieflyback 27 May 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

Reserved mine yesterday afternoon on the basis of comments from here. Now got to go to Keighley to get it...there's always a downside.
almost sane 27 May 2009
> (In reply to CH)
>
> You've got to be kidding. What kind of winds are we talking?!
>
> I'd be shitting myself in a £25 tent if the wind was over 10mph!

A mate of mine took his Akto for his ML assessment or training (I forget which) and they camped high and the weather was foul - strong winds and rain. Some other candidates had Pro Action tents.

The Pro Actions and the Hilleberg stood up to the weather just fine.

If the tent is cut reasonably well, then a skilled tent pitcher can make all sorts of tents secure.

I have pitched my old Lichfield family tent (with fibreglass poles) on Arran for a month, and it survived storms that damaged caravans. And that was when it was ten years old. I also have used an old Peapod with fibreglass poles in storms, and it was just fine, despite the groundsheet fabric having given way with age and then patched up.
 chris_s 27 May 2009
In reply to almost sane:

> I also have used an old Peapod with fibreglass poles in storms, and it was just fine, despite the groundsheet fabric having given way with age and then patched up.

I really miss my Peapod! I used mine for almost 20 years and then the fabric just began to disintegrate, I wish they were still made.

sutty 27 May 2009
In reply to TobyA:

From your blog;
>Then wearing full waterproofs I wrestled the tent down and into a bag trying not to let any bit fly away

I used to do that, then realised that bundling it into a bin bag was quicker and saved getting the back of the car soaked. Tip of the day.

As you say, getting the pitching right is the key to a good nights sleep. Even on wild nights when the tent is nearly flat on you it usually springs back up. Having spare tent pegs by the door so if a guyline does let go due to a freak gust you can be out of the tent, repegged and back in your pit in 30 seconds.
 Mick Ward 27 May 2009
In reply to Martin76:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)

> Now got to go to Keighley to get it...there's always a downside.

Lived in Keighley for a year in the 70s... in between living in Belfast, Beirut, Liverpool, etc. Great training for life!

Mick

almost sane 27 May 2009
In reply to sutty:
Good tips Sutty.

Hilleberg deliberately make their tent stuff sacks oversized just to make it easy to bundle the tent away.
Another way of achieving a similar result for a multi-day trip when the bin bag may disintegrate is to buy a second stuff sack like a big one of these http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16151&... You put your outer tent in the manufacturer's bag, and the inner into the new stuff sack. That way its quicker and easier to get the tent away, and quicker and easier to pack your rucksack (its often easier to put in two wee things than one big thing).

I like the idea of a couple of spare pegs by the door in case a guyline comes out. Never thought of that one.
almost sane 27 May 2009
In reply to chris_s:
>
> I really miss my Peapod! I used mine for almost 20 years and then the fabric just began to disintegrate, I wish they were still made.

They were great tents: light, roomy and withstood the weather.

Pegging out the inner seperately was a bit of a faff though, I like the modern idea of the inner attached to the outer already if you wish. Though packing the inner away before you take down the outer can be a boon if the flysheet is sodden. Which it often is in Scotland
 TobyA 27 May 2009
In reply to sutty:

> From your blog;
> >Then wearing full waterproofs I wrestled the tent down and into a bag trying not to let any bit fly away
>
> I used to do that, then realised that bundling it into a bin bag was quicker and saved getting the back of the car soaked. Tip of the day.

Good idea, although again - another thing with modern tents made all of nylon is how small they are. The one in question is 3+ man tent with a biggish porch - and it goes into something that looks like a 2 man backpacking tent. So not too soggy.

When I was kid we had a family frame tent that needed a trailer to put it, and the rest of the stuff for for three weeks in Spain, in. A couple of years ago I borrowed my parent's new tent (two inner tents and a 'living room' space - all that you can stand up in) and that packed into something you could take on a plane as max carry-on luggage. Also it cost about a less than half of the price my parent paid for the family tent in the late 70s! Globalisation is good for camping.
 brieflyback 27 May 2009
In reply to FrankBooth:
> (In reply to CH)
> buggers just put the price up to er £32.65! must have been a shovelful of click-throughs from this thread!

They just tried to charge my wife that, even though I reserved when it was 24 quid. Customer service seem to have sorted that out, although I'm going to have to go back to Keighley again....
 sutty 27 May 2009
In reply to Martin76:

I think I noticed on the site yesterday the offer on it ended yesterday so if you ordered then you pay the old price and if you order now the new one. They will probably drop it again in a week or two if they have a lot.
 leeangell 27 May 2009

Im looking forward to seeing lots of little orange tents popping up all over the hills.
 brieflyback 28 May 2009
In reply to sutty:

Pitched it yesterday afternoon with my lad in the garden - seems like a little beauty, and him and his sister fit very nicely inside.

All I need to do now is to pick somewhere to wild camp in the Dales, not too far from the road...
Jonno 29 May 2009

Gave the tent a test erection this afternoon. I have to admit,I had to get my partner to explain how to erect it. Not being a tent person it was all Greek to me! Still...seems fine with plenty of room for myself and hound when we do our big walk this summer.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/eryrglas/tent002.jpg?t=1243615807
 brieflyback 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Jonno:

Pitched it out in the Dales this weekend. Didn't exactly have a lot to cope with, but had the feel of a robust tent. I'll need to change the guys, or at least the clips, as those supplied slip a little, and may need to find a way to peg out or tighten the side panels, as they seem a little flappy.
 Little Brew 01 Jun 2009
In reply to The Green Giant: i got one last year of E-bay for a lot cheaper than it saiys on the Argos site... TOP TENT!!! got the 4 man for me and my wet/dry kit for Scout camp last year in Ireland! Brill tent, takes a bit of time setting it up, but fitted me, my 2 65L kit bags, Table, Kayak Paddle and other camp bits fine!

oh and even when others on the site were getting flooded out with the 5 days of rain we had, my tent was still dry on the inside.
 Uncle Boz 01 Jun 2009

I got one of the old version of these off 'that' site last year. really happy with it even in reasonably rubbish weather and takes no time to pitch; and only cost me pocket change. superb.
 JdotP 01 Jun 2009

I have had the 2 person pro-action tent for 2 years. I have used it a lot in the Alps, and in Scotland in winter. They are amazing!!! It is faultlessly waterproof despite the fact that I have never re-waterproofed it, and very, very robust.
 JdotP 01 Jun 2009
In reply to monkey kong:

Oh yes, and you can easily leave the inner permanently set up in the outer, so it is easy to pitch it quickly in the rain without getting the inside wet.
In reply to monkey kong:

Oooh, interested. How do you do that? The 1 person you clip the inner to the poles so I'd thought you'd need the outer off to be able to attach them. Am I missing a trick?
In reply to Little Brew:

meggaa will have to get one then!
 melmyo 02 Jun 2009
In reply to Colin Henderson: This has just reminded me that I packed my tent away, wet, 3 weeks ago. I might be needing a new one after all
 JdotP 05 Jun 2009
> (In reply to monkey kong)
>
> Oooh, interested. How do you do that? The 1 person you clip the inner to the poles so I'd thought you'd need the outer off to be able to attach them. Am I missing a trick?

On my 2 person version you clip the inner to the outer, and the poles go on the outside of the outer...
 The Lemming 05 Jun 2009

I'm getting good vibes from people about this tent so I think that I'll give it a punt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...