UKC

Tech Grades for Grooved Arete tryfan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nomisb 27 May 2009
What it saya on the tin....

The CC guide is out of print (won't be available until late August)and I am trying to settle an argument (I think the hardest tech grade on the route is 4a - my friend thinks it's 4b)

Sad i know but it's driving me mad....

Thanks
Robert Dickson 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb: Can't think of anything 4b'ish on Grooved Arete or 4a for that matter. Yellow Slab on First Pinnacle Rib might be 4b.

Cheers,
Bob
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

At HVDiff it falls below the normal cut-off for tech grades. If you had to give one it would be in the 3a-3c range.

Chris
 andi_e 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb: I was of the opinion it was hard for 4a, but not quite 4b, maybe 4a+? You almost have to think about what you're doing on the move so it must be relatively tricky.
 Trangia 27 May 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to nomisb)
>
> At HVDiff it falls below the normal cut-off for tech grades. If you had to give one it would be in the 3a-3c range.
>
> Chris

I'd agree. There is nothing remotely 4 ish about any of the moves on Grooved Arete. I also agree with the other poster who said Yellow Slab on 1st Pinnacle Rib is 4b (it's given that in the Guide Book) - the only Diff I can think of with such a high technical grading in it.

sutty 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

The old guide does not have a technical grade in it for any pitches.

Tennis shoe, hard severe gets 3c for first pitch and 4a for last pitch, so possibly 3b for the hardest bit of GA.
 Dom Whillans 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:
moreish, but not four-ish.
Clauso 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

The crux of Grooved Arete is managing to find the start of the bloody thing!... I walked up and down the Heather Terrace until I wore my legs to stumps. It was wet and the GA scratched on the rock at the base of the route was less than distinct.
Robert Dickson 27 May 2009
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to nomisb)
>
> The crux of Grooved Arete is managing to find the start of the bloody thing!...

Just look for the queue...
Clauso 27 May 2009
In reply to Robert Dickson:

Funnily enough, there was a distinct absence of queues on the cold, late September afternoon when I pitched up to climb it. The rain, mist and high winds made it all a bit of an adventure. I don't know where the rest of the punters had got to but I managed it all perfectly well in my wetsuit.
 sutty 27 May 2009
In reply to Clauso:

If you did it from the GA you did the wrong start. The GA was on the next buttress down 30 years ago, Marie was the guidebook reader.
 howlingbaboon 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb: There is a section of climbing in the groove which can be a little tricky due to the pollish. It's probably avoidable by climbing the arete though.
 Bulls Crack 27 May 2009
In reply to andi_e:
> (In reply to nomisb) I was of the opinion it was hard for 4a, but not quite 4b, maybe 4a+? You almost have to think about what you're doing on the move so it must be relatively tricky.

4a+?

Please!
 BenTiffin 27 May 2009
In reply to Trangia: Low Man Easy Way at Almscliff certainly used to get Diff 4b as well.

Agreed with most, it isn't into the 4's.

Ben
 MttSnr 27 May 2009
In reply to BenTiffin:
> (In reply to Trangia) Low Man Easy Way at Almscliff certainly used to get Diff 4b as well.
>
>

Yeah but thats just the Yorkshire sense of humour isn't it?
 PDL 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

It gets VD in Ogwen and Carneddau with two variations on pitch 6, VS if you climb the arete or Sev for a direct route from Haven pitch 6 and 7.
 petestack 27 May 2009
In reply to andi_e:
> You almost have to think about what you're doing on the move so it must be relatively tricky.

So you don't think about what you're doing on easy moves?
 jonnie3430 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

I backed off in the rain last year, I reckon under those conditions it was easily 5b on the smooth open corner.
 mattsccm 27 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:
Surely at that level (mine!) tech grades are not valid or needed. many V Diffs have evil single moves, especially the more traditional one but 1 move doesn't grade a route.
 petestack 27 May 2009
In reply to mattsccm:
> but 1 move doesn't grade a route.

Actually, for tech grades on British trad climbs, that's exactly what it does!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tech+grade+hardest+single+move

PDL 28 May 2009
In reply to mattsccm:
> (In reply to nomisb)
> Surely at that level (mine!) tech grades are not valid or needed.

You will come unstuck if you meet a S 4c (Crack and Corner - Roaches) or HVD 4a (Quite common) if you are expecting easy 3b/3c climbing all the way.
 LakesWinter 28 May 2009
In reply to nomisb: It doesnt deserve a technical grade, it isn't hard enough!
 J R R Hartley 28 May 2009
Done it twice and the pitch below the Knights Move I found a bit tricky where you move from one rib to the other but wouldn't give it a tech grade. If you're trying to compare a pitch from GA with an outcrop route there's a world of difference.
 Silum 28 May 2009
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to nomisb)
>
> The crux of Grooved Arete is managing to find the start of the bloody thing!... I walked up and down the Heather Terrace until I wore my legs to stumps. It was wet and the GA scratched on the rock at the base of the route was less than distinct.

If you walked up and down the heather terrace, did you not notice that you had already climbed half the route?
 Silum 28 May 2009
In reply to nomisb:

Supposedly the hardest pitch is the knights move (it isnt btw, its the corner and arete before it), well its honestly a walk. I actually have a photo of the guy I was climbing it with, reading a guidebook on the "crux" footholds facing backwards on the lead. Its a great route don't get me wrong, but its the kind of climb you could easily introduce people to climbing with imo.
 Simon Caldwell 29 May 2009
In reply to PDL:
> You will come unstuck if you meet a S 4c (Crack and Corner - Roaches) or HVD 4a (Quite common) if you are expecting easy 3b/3c climbing all the way

One of the Lliwedd VDiffs (might be Longland's Continuation) has a 4b/c pitch, and more than one person has told me that Horned Crag has a 4b section.
 wilkie14c 29 May 2009
In reply to Toreador:
Absolutly!
I did First Pinnacle Rib on Tryfan yesterday and the last pitch (although escapable to the right) Thompson's Chimney is nails for a VDiff route! Felt Severe 4b ish but may have just been me! Hard move to get into the chimney and an even harder one to get into the groove above. All well protected though but for a VDiff leader it could well come as a shock!
 StefanB 29 May 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:

Thompson's chimney is listed as a separate route in the Ogwen guid (at HS 4b I think). Some guides suggest it as the avoidable finish to FPR. I remember it came as a big surprise to me when I did FPR as my first multi-pitch outing, looking for an easy Diff. I backed off the chimney and let my partner lead it.
The Yellow Slab was also harder than I expected on that route, but as it's not as strenuous, it gives the new leader some time to work thinks out and place the delicate gear carefully.
In reply to nomisb:

You can give it technical grades on the same scale as SE Sandstone (which starts at 1A!). I would agree with Sutty that the hardest part of GA is about 3b - the groove above the Knight's Move (which would be about 2a at Harrisons!).
OP nomisb 29 May 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thing is I can't remember doing the knights slab ( I think) we went straight up.....

I don't remember anything being too difficult just a wonderful sense of exposure from time to time..

And in answer as to why I thought it may have a tech grade I come from the southeast where we will grade ANYTHING.....
 andi_e 31 May 2009
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to andi_e)
> [...]
>
> So you don't think about what you're doing on easy moves?

No
 Alun 31 May 2009
In reply to jonnie3430:
> I backed off in the rain last year, I reckon under those conditions it was easily 5b on the smooth open corner.

I presume you mean the first pitch after the mid-height ledge i.e. before the Haven?

I've led that pitch in the pissing cold November rain, and don't recall it being remotely as hard as 5b. It elevates it to VSish perhaps.

Mind you we also had to back off that day shortly after that pitch, as it was getting dark and we didn't have torches. Good job too because a week later a mate of mine was walking down the North Ridge in the dark, fell and shattered his ankle and his cheek bone. With no phone he flashed for help and luckily a passing car saw him and alerted the mountain rescue. Scary though, made me pause to think.
 Mark Stevenson 31 May 2009
In reply to nomisb: FWIW no tech grades in any guidebook in the last 20+ years.

North Wales (100 Classic Climbs) 1988 - VD+ (i.e. Hard Very Difficult)
Rock Climbing in Snowdonia 1990 - Hard Very Difficult
CC Ogwen 1993 - Very Difficult
North Wales Rock 2006 - Hard Very Difficult

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...