UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: James McHaffie 'Tom Cruises' Mission Impossible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Jun 2009
[James McHaffie 'Tom Cruises' Mission Impossible 320, 3 kb]James McHaffie has made the long-awaited second ascent of Mission Impossible at Gallt yr Ogof, Ogwen, North Wales.

The line, first climbed by sport climbing super-star Neil Carson in the mid-nineties is renowned for being the physically hardest trad route in Wales.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47686
 Ed Booth 01 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Useful! Nice one James.
 Morgan Woods 01 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

super effort.....just wondering was this pre-practised on TR?
 Tom Last 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:

It says he top roped it twice
 Morgan Woods 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Queequeg:

cheers...i'll read more carefully next time.
In reply to Morgan Woods: go and read Jack Geldards blog - you can see a timeline from when Johnny Dawes says he's gonna climb some hard stuff.
In reply to UKC News:

Truly awesome - my god the last moves looked dodgy.
 Kyuzo 01 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic! Gnarly looking.

The dog really adds to it as well
 220bpm 01 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Didn't he make that look (horribly) easy?

Top job!
 chris_j_s 02 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort and totally understated, as seems to be James' style. Looks really flippin' scary at the top!

Looks like 8a.nu have picked up on it to do a bit of sh*t stirring on their favourite topic - UK Trad Grades/UKC bashing!!
 GrahamD 02 Jun 2009
In reply to chris_j_s:

I hadn't even realised that Neil Carson was operating at those trad levels. I wonder when Big Bang is going to be repeated (if it hasn't already) ?
 chris_j_s 02 Jun 2009
In reply to GrahamD:

I thought Steve McClure had repeated this but I could be wrong (quite likely!).

I'm sure on Jack Geldards blog there's something about Johnny Dawes claiming that he wants to do Big Bang this year!!
 ksjs 02 Jun 2009
In reply to chris_j_s: AFAIK no repeats of Big Bang - LPT conditions and tides arent so helpful for projects. no issue for Neil Carson though...
In reply to chris_j_s:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> I thought Steve McClure had repeated this but I could be wrong (quite likely!).
>
> I'm sure on Jack Geldards blog there's something about Johnny Dawes claiming that he wants to do Big Bang this year!!

To quote from page 2 of jacks blog

22nd April

Here’s a quick clip of a very damp session on Mission Impossible the other day. I went up with Caff, Ray and Johnny Dawes. Johnny told me he’d like to do Mission Impossible (E9), The Meltdown (F8c+?) and The Big Bang (F9a) this year. I think it might be mission impossible…!

whispering nic 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Even without the pegs, the grade of the route wouldn't bump up any higher than E9, as the natural protection is adequate, if very hard to place on lead.

This statement doesn't make sense to me. Surely on a route where the kit is very hard to place this influences the grade? Wouldn't it be better to wait for an onsight or at least a few more ascents before making this type of comment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...