UKC

Camping in the peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattu 08 Jun 2009
I need a campsite in the peak district area, It needs to be close to a popular climbing area and affordable (with showers) North lees is currently booked for this weekend Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance!
riichar 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu: We camped at one about 10mins walk from Birchen last year, cant remember the name but should be easy to find. was essentially just a field with a toilet and a cold tap in one corner, but was only a couple of quid a night.

Mind you, that was in the peak... maybe Al will know where the 'peaks' are....
 AndyM-LVB 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu:

I'm waiting for someone to tell you off for calling it "the peaks"...
That's quite a touchy thing here on UKC.
 AndyM-LVB 08 Jun 2009
In reply to AndyM-LVB:
> (In reply to Mattu)
>
> I'm waiting for someone to tell you off for calling it "the peaks"...
> That's quite a touchy thing here on UKC.

Ok, So I just read the bottom of the first reply.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu: http://www.edentreecaravanpark.co.uk/

Stayed there the other week and it was pretty good. 10 min drive from Bamford.
 54ms 09 Jun 2009
In reply to smudge:

Its a tad basic! Cheap though.

I stayed at Hardhurst Farm last year and thought it was a nice site with a good location.
 JDDD 09 Jun 2009
In reply to melmyo:
> (In reply to Mattu) Pindale Farm, in Hope. http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/info.php?id=118&t=stay

Does this place still only have one shower for men and one for women even when 50 sweaty campers want a shower?

Failing that, you get fantastic bacon butties / breakfasts here. The cafe used to be the most disorganised you have ever seen, but it was quite good fun watching 6 people all running about like headless chickens trying to get the food out. Not sure what Sir AS would make of it!
 leeford 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1793

Laneside campsite Hope

Stopped here and it is very nice, very clean and has showers and 5 min walk to the pub.
 staceyjg 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:

I second hardhurst farm, excellent cafe onsite for breakfast, but get in there as soon as it opens because it fills up fast.

smudge 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Duncan_S:
> (In reply to smudge)
>
> Its a tad basic! Cheap though.
>
understatement! but in a great location.

Al Evans 09 Jun 2009
In reply to AndyM-LVB: At least he called it the Peak District after the initial blunder.
 JoshOvki 09 Jun 2009
Calling it the Peaks in the title is a good idea to get peoples attention though!
 brieflyback 09 Jun 2009
In reply to JoshOvki:
> Calling it the Peaks in the title is a good idea to get peoples attention though!

It actually starts an alarm sounding in Al's BatCave.
 toad 09 Jun 2009
In reply to smudge: Birchen was Apocalypse Midge last night - don't know if the EB site is slightly more exposed to the wind, but we ran away screaming.
 Swig 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman:

> Failing that, you get fantastic bacon butties / breakfasts here. The cafe used to be the most disorganised you have ever seen, but it was quite good fun watching 6 people all running about like headless chickens trying to get the food out. Not sure what Sir AS would make of it!

These sandwiches sound really good - unlike the Amstrad stereo I once had. So who gives a shit what he would make of it?
 doz generale 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu:

you could allways try just turning up at north lees. i've done that several times after they have said it's fully booked and they have allways have had room.
 melmyo 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman: There are 2 showers for women and 2 for men, and there is no cafe, are you thinking of somewhere else? I don't think there has been a cafe there in the 4 years I've been staying there.
OP Mattu 09 Jun 2009

Whoa! Lots of helpful replies. I think this will certainly solve my camping needs. Cheers for all the advice!
JLynch 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Al:

But why does "the Lake District" become "the Lakes" with impunity?
 Dan_S 09 Jun 2009
In reply to JLynch:

Probably something do to with the bodies of water being referred to generally as lakes, even though there is technically only one.

Whereas the Peak district is most probably named after the tribe that lived there.
JLynch 09 Jun 2009
In reply to Dan:

Ah, I see, thank you. So we could continue to annoy Al by correctly referring to it as "the Peak's".
 Simon Pelly 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu:

Another second recommendation for Pindale Farm
 chris gooder 10 Jun 2009
In reply to JLynch:How do you know that is the correct terminology?
 Shandy 10 Jun 2009
In reply to Mattu: Coopers at Edale is worth visiting just for the surly owners - a real experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...