UKC

NEWS: Mysterious Boxes at LimeKilns Crag, Fife, Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Jun 2009
[lime kilns bat boxes II, 2 kb]Limekilns is an unusual Limestone crag in Fife, Scotland with a history of access problems, however, in recent years there has been little trouble and it has become a popular venue for climbers based in Edinburgh and the surrounding area.
Unfortunately, this situation has now changed and on Monday...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47880
 Tris 11 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: 'and on Monday 8th of July mysterious boxes were installed'

Do you mean June?
 JLS 11 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

>"LimeKilns"

Capitol K looks strange?
 Sam Judson 11 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Someone trying to make a real life Marios Bros perhaps? Looks very weird either way.
 el diablo 11 Jun 2009
In reply to JLS: Indeed, Limekilns and Gellet block.
jd
Tim Chappell 11 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: It's Gellet block eds, not Gellert.

Seems the boxes have been removed as mysteriously as they arrived. Hopefully done by the estate, not have-a-go heroes. Might be worth updating the news item?
 digby 12 Jun 2009
In reply to dan bailey:

Steady now. They might have taken them down to retrofit with bats. Lets wait for utterly official confirmation.
 Brendan 14 Jun 2009
I just received the email below from the access officer - sounds like a victory for climbing/access!

Dear All,
Please excuse the mass e-mail response. I will reply separately to anyone who made very specific comments or suggestions.
Thank you all very much for your e-mails of concern about the apparent attempt to block access to the Gellet rock by erecting bat and bird boxes on it. By now I am sure you are all aware that the Estate land agents very quickly arranged to have the boxes taken down, and the rock is now clear of boxes.
I have also arranged to meet with the Estate again very soon to discuss general access to the Gellet Rock. Climbing through a hole in the fence caused by vandals is not a long term ideal for the area.
Many of you will be aware that access to the rock has been difficult, if not impossible prior to the passing of the Land Reform Act. Since then access to climb has been possible albeit somewhat ad hoc. I appreciate that local climbers have regularly kept the area free from litter and that climbing access has been very responsible.

I will try to keep you informed of the discussions with the Estate about longer term access. If any of you DO NOT wish me to keep your e-mail details on a group list, please let me know.

Yours,
Alison Irvine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...