UKC

NEWS: PHOTOS: Adam Ondra F9a+ / Kalymnos & More

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Jun 2009
[Adam Ondra on his recent ascent of Corona, 11+ (F9a+) , Frankenjura, 3 kb]16 year old Czech climbing phenomena Adam Ondra has continued his domination of the World sport climbing scene. His recent swift repeat of Markus Bock's Frankenjura testpiece Corona (F9a+) has cemented his already firm position at the very pinnacle of the sport.

According to 8a.nu in the last year Ondra has redpointed a gargantuan 58 routes of F8c to F9a+ and onsighted 47 routes between 8b and 8c.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47857
Ackbar 12 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Photo looks a bit tilted.
 James Moyle 12 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: It's just unreal.
 MorganPreece 12 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: get Ondra to try a bit of Trad!!!!
 James Oswald 12 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Makes me wonder what will happen when he properly sets his mind on something....
James
 Blue Straggler 12 Jun 2009
In reply to james oswald:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Makes me wonder what will happen when he properly sets his mind on something....
> James

Yeah, he's never really properly set his mind on anything yet has he.
 Joe Grondowski 13 Jun 2009
Good effort! Amazing!
 The sharp end 13 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Truly phenomenal!
 Tez29 13 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: That dude needs a wedgie!

Absolutely out of this world, little cretin.
 mark s 13 Jun 2009
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Makes me wonder what will happen when he properly sets his mind on something....
> James

i take thats sarcasm?
 Alex1 13 Jun 2009
In reply to mark s:

No - I suspect it means what will he get up when he spends 6 months on something...
 James Oswald 13 Jun 2009
In reply to mark s:
No not atall.
Has he really spent several months redpointing something.
James
 Shani 13 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

What's he done on grit?
 Jeff25 14 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Insane achievement. Especially the read of routes for a 6 day trip in Kalymnos.
How can he do SUCH volume unless the 8as really are just warm ups for him.

Outstanding achievement and as others have said above it will be interesting to see if he applies himself over time to a cutting edge project.
DEvans 14 Jun 2009
In reply to Jeff25:

i would like to see him on fred rouhlings 9b AKIRA. surely the would be the biggest second ascent of any route in the world.

the grades are soft in kalymnos are they not. its still a good weeks climbing though.
 Morgan Woods 14 Jun 2009
In reply to DEvans:
> (In reply to Jeff25)
>
> > the grades are soft in kalymnos are they not. its still a good weeks climbing though.

you been there? yes it has that reputation but things have settled down a bit and they are now close to benchmark....yes you could probably knock a grade of most routes there to bring them in line with old school crags like Siurana, but they are not miles off.

interesting point about Akira....i thought it was a fairly uninspiring route being basically an extended boulder problem in a fairly grotty cave but i could be wrong....is it 100% natural? Also interesting that Hugh has had 3 repeats, so good to see people getting Fred's hard routes.
DEvans 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: yes. intresting point about akira, have you been there? it certainly doesn't look like a big boulder problem when you are standing at the back of the cave. its a huge overhang and totaly inspiring line. there are no views over the med though.
out of the many visits to freds routes its great that a few have managed to get up hugh. but so many failures too. l'autre cote de ciel is an amazing line too.
akira i think has one hold that was saved with a bit of sika but NO chipped holds. thats why fred loved it so much.
 Strife 15 Jun 2009
Forget Akira, Ondra needs to get himself on Jumbo Love and Golpe D'Estado.
DEvans 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Strife:
boring long routes. he should get on something with a bit of history to it.
has he done action direct yet. maybe he is going to give it ago onsight one day.
 James Oswald 15 Jun 2009
In reply to DEvans:
has he done action direct yet.

Yes
DEvans 15 Jun 2009

good then he is ready for AKIRA, its like action direct but a horizontal roof and the moves are a bit harder and twice as long.
 GrahamD 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
> 16 year old Czech climbing phenomena Adam Ondra has continued his domination of the World sport climbing scene.....

Are you sure about this ?
 Morgan Woods 15 Jun 2009
In reply to DEvans:

no not been to Eaux Claires yet.....looked at a few vids though.....the place looks nails!
DEvans 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:

it is very hard at les eaux claires. not a good place to come and get lots of holiday ticks. good climbing though, i like the fact that you can't get up the 6bs yet you can warm up on them in kalymnos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...