UKC

NEWS: RAF Mountaineer Awarded MBE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Jun 2009
[Wg Cdr David Tait , 2 kb]Wing Commander David Tait has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday honours list. The award was a well deserved accolade for his outstanding leadership of the British Services' Makalu Expedition 2008 and support to British Services' mountaineering over the years. Dave is currently the...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=47921
Jonno 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Three Cheers for Wing Commander David Tait MBE.

Hip Hip....hurrah !

Hip Hip... hurrah !

Hip Hip....hurrah !

Toodle Pip
 koolkat 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: hmmmm for running a trip to the hills iam sure theres far more deserving of these meaningless awards
Ian Black 15 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to UKC News) hmmmm for running a trip to the hills iam sure theres far more deserving of these meaningless awards

Like over paid Footballers and managers?
 Silum 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Congrats! Though he might want to learn which end of the quickdraw to clip. :p
 Padraig 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
"As well as putting several British climbers and sherpas on the summit of Makalu in 2008"

Bit of editing needed here me thinks??
 koolkat 15 Jun 2009
In reply to padraig : so a few trips he organised and i think you will find the climbers got themselves to the top still stand by my original post hardly a worthy recipient
Jonno 15 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to padraig ) so a few trips he organised and i think you will find the climbers got themselves to the top still stand by my original post hardly a worthy recipient>>

Damn treasonable comments what ! In my day that sort of talk would see you facing a posting to Wagga Wagga land or worse...Scotland.

If I had my way you would be horse whipped to bally Timbucktoo !

Alex T (RAFMA) 15 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat: I'm sure that those who actually know Dave will confirm that he deserves this award. I also think that most people will think it right that the country rewards its servicemen and women who serve with particular distinction.

A great number of young servicemen and women have benifited from Dave's work.
In reply to UKC News: Details of the Makalu expedition can be found at:

http://www.makalu2008.org

Details on RAFMA can be found on:

http://www.rafma.com
 koolkat 15 Jun 2009
In reply to Alex T (RAFMA): I also think that most people will think it right that the country rewards its servicemen and women who serve with particular distinction.
i agree but not for climbing mountains when there ppl on the front line
as an ex raf guy i know about rama and raf mrt but i still stand by my original post
 koolkat 15 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: shud read rafma sorry , also dave got free trips to big hills on full wages how hard is it when we like climbing .
Ian Black 15 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to UKC News) far more deserving of these meaningless awards

Why would you want someone "far more deserving" to receive a "meaningless" award? Surely if its a meaningless award then the less deserving are more than welcome to it.
 centurion05 15 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat:
also dave got free trips to big hills on full wages how hard is it when we like climbing .

wind your neck in koolkat, sounds like your a wee bit jealous of dave, its getting 'free' trips one thing but actually organizing the trips is another thing. Oh and the trip to Makalu was about £2000 personal contribution, thats far from free if you ask me.

Well done Dave Tait, hope the toes heal a.s.a.p.

centurion05
In reply to koolkat: Dave and other RAFMA members have plenty of medals for operational service. As mentioned in the news item Dave has a particuarly lengthy list of operational tours. At this moment there are many RAFMA members serving on the front line in Afghanistan and other locations around the world.

Sporting oppourtunities such as mountaineering do much to develop personnel, improve morale, retention and provide more capable personnel to the front line. During a time when the forces are working extremely hard at home and overseas it takes particular forebearance to organise complicated expeditions such as Makalu - as well as doing a very busy day job.

Most expeditions require substantial personal contributions. Makalu 2008 was also sponsored by a number of organisations.
 Tophe 15 Jun 2009
just having a quick look at the makalu trip and it's not even proper climbing, it's walking!
In reply to iamchris:
An attempt on the SE Ridge and traverse of the mountain - walking! Both this and the main climbing team were very challenging mountaineering endeavours.

The team of young servicemen and women did however do a challenging trek - we all have to start somewhere.

All the participants in the expedition did plenty of 'proper climbing' during the training, ticking off a number of classics.
 koolkat 15 Jun 2009
In reply to centurion05: wind my neck in so i cant have an opinion now
and u think they cant raise some of that £2000 from the raf ive been there n done that on trips and in real terms there still geting paid so how much is it really costing , but thats not the issue here no jelosy here just think think theres more deserving cases
 stumc 16 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat: Whilst I think RAFMA is a club for the boys sorry officers! The £2000 was the personal contribution after all your wee sums of money from around the station.
Removed User 16 Jun 2009

Taiter (as he was called back in the HQ 1 Div days) is an excellent bloke and a real character.

Yes in the Forces we do get to go on cheap and excellent climbing trips.

I am off to the Dolomites for two weeks on Fri, I am also off to Afghanistan for six months next year.

Thats the package.

If you fancy it join up.

Gary.

Alex T (RAFMA) 16 Jun 2009
In reply to stumc:
I'll have to correct you on the club for the boys comment. It most definitely is not. Any observer at the recent RAF climbing championship will have noted the large number of young junior ranks competeting. In fact all but one of the 10 winners across all the catergories were junior ranks. All RAF personnel are welcome to join and reguarly take part in meets and expeds. The joint services Makalu exped included a junior team of guys in their first 3 years of service - 7 junior ranks and one officer + instructors. Nearly all of the team on the popular Lofoten exped last year were non-commissioned.

I don't know what experience your comment is based on but if it ever was accurate it isn't now. If you are still serving or have served you would be welcome along any time.

We are actively trying to reach out to more young servicemen and women and are pleased that over half of our membership is non-commissioned. Not that it matters - its all first name terms with us. We like to leave work at work! It's not about rank, its all about enjoying the climbing.

I don't think it appropriate to discuss finance on here but we make sure that lower paid ranks are not disadvantaged.
 errrrm? 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Removed User: Well said Gary.
Ian Black 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Alex T (RAFMA):
> (In reply to stumc)

> I don't think it appropriate to discuss finance on here but we make sure that lower paid ranks are not disadvantaged.

By the time they've paid their mess bills the Ruperts could be classed as financialy disadvantaged.

stumc 16 Jun 2009
In reply to Alex T (RAFMA): Wow you have swallowed the party line have you not!! I know fine well its full of 'junior ranks' but also know fine well thats its the sort of club where it is often more about about image and who you are not what you can do and do'nt try and tell me otherwise as I have experiance of just that sort of thing. Not that it matters as I dont know Wg Cdr Tait anyway and to be honest dont care one way or the other about his birthday honour. I was only suggesting to some of the dim whits on here that the £2000 was infact personal contribution and also had a thought that you may well bite!!!!
 Alex T (RAFMA) 17 Jun 2009
In reply to stumc: As people will appreciate, running a big association takes a lot of effort and its important that people do not get the wrong idea about us. I would not want anyone to be needless put off joining if they were able.

I don't know where you are coming from with your critism about image but we have a variety of people young and old in the club climbing diff - E4/5 and everyone seems to get along fine most of the time! I don't think there are many posers around either.

timmy-ts 17 Jun 2009
In reply to stumc: Hi Stu, well done to Spud for gaining this, I see you are enjoying a fight with Alex T, but it really is congrats to someone being recognized for their graft and effort for a change. Anyone can bitch but trying to do your normal job plus the work that he put into the exped and RAFMA as a whole I cann't knock it. PS Spud is a war fighter first type of guy, for any who may think he is a desk warrior.

Sort of agree with you about RAFMA, being inclusive not!
It not what you know its who you know rather than rank being the problem.

PS to Alex, was a RAFMA member many years ago, climbed loads of times with spud back at Valley, know a load of the top guys in it but never had the time due to other commitments.

Join it if you are in the RAF, on an non MR unit, as it can be the best opertunity to go climbing and meet some top guys.

Tim
 Alex T (RAFMA) 17 Jun 2009
In reply to timmy-ts:

You are right - this was all about recognising Dave (of the many nick-names, it seems!).

As with many clubs we did use to have something of a reputation for 'cliqueyness'. I don't think this is the case any more - ask any new member who has come along recently. We have our own forum online so anyone has the chance to get involved with all the trips and events nowdays.

I've no wish to have a fight with anyone but we are all keen to get all RAF climbers involved with RAFMA - hence our profile on here. We have loads of MR guys on our membership and trips and a good bunch they are too.
 stumc 18 Jun 2009
In reply to timmy-ts: Ha ha Tim how the devil are we? Was just enjoying a bit of banter with the RAFMA chaps and do in fact congratulate your man. How is the big K
Jaz Baughan 30 Jun 2009
In reply to koolkat: Obviously said by a person who has no knowledge of large expedition preperation, executing and it`s impact on the mountaineering world!!! anyway, the queen seems to think it was worth it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...