UKC

Climbs named after railways?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Musgrove 17 Jun 2009
Network rail and the Settle-Carlisle railway society have recently found out about a new route we've done and called 'The Settle-Carlisle Line'. (Its a long traverse covering some interesting ground)! They want to feature it as publicity in their magazine and ask if this is the first or only climb in Britain to be named after a railway.

Anyone know of any others or even others with general railway themes that may be of interest to them.

Dave
londonrocks 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove: I've got a feeling there may be something like that in wales. There again I may be talking out my rear.
Geoffrey Michaels 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

There is a route called English Electric 12CSVT
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2009

I thought you would have thought of Great Western, Dave?!

Neil
 charlieg0pzo 17 Jun 2009
The Sidings area of the Llanberis Slate quarries are all named with a railway theme eg:- Thomas the Tank, Sodor, The Mallard, Polar Express, Ivor the Engine etc.

Also at Trevor, Llangollen, there is Railway Buttress with James the Red engine, The Fat Controller, Puffing Billy etc.

from Charlie
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2009

Puffing Billy and Whistling Crack in Cheedale have railway connections. Moving Buttress was supposed to vibrate every time a train went by!

Chris
 DerwentDiluted 17 Jun 2009

Island of Sodor, fat controller, Duck et al at Black Rocks?
 Duncan I 17 Jun 2009

A quick perusal of the logbooks throws up four "Flying Scotsman"s and a Branch Line
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=80303

I am also proud to announce that five of the six routes containing the word "viaduct" (a major feature of the Settle-Carlisle line!) are on my local crag here in New Mills!
londonrocks 17 Jun 2009
In reply to charlieg0pzo: That is what I was thinking of.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Duncan I:

Your 'viaduct' is a road bridge - that surely can't count?

Chris
 sutty 17 Jun 2009

Looking through the guide I found Von Ryan's Express.
 ellis 17 Jun 2009

Chemin de Fer, in a French kind of way.
OP Dave Musgrove 17 Jun 2009

Thanks to all so far. Its funny Neil, but I never connected Great Western at Almscliff (and I think there is one at Tremadock) with railays before. I'm not sure either were named with trains in mind but I may be wrong.

Dave
 sutty 17 Jun 2009

There is Great Eastern on Scafell, Railway slab at Black Rocks.
 Chris the Tall 17 Jun 2009
Amptrax, El Chorro
 Colin Moody 17 Jun 2009
In reply to sutty:

I just thought that was a big route on the east side!
 sutty 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Colin Moody:

Name of a famous route, one of the first on the east buttress by Linnell.
 Simon Lyons 17 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: A viaduct (via for road and ducere to lead something) is a bridge composed of several small spans. Viaducts may span land or water or both. The word would have first been used to decribe roads or paths because trains didn't exist at the time. Dosent matter what it carries either, even water, the Roman word Aquaduct is a modern derivation from an analogy.
Yrmenlaf 17 Jun 2009

Not convinced that Great Western and Great Eastern are named after railways: the route and the railway are named after the same thing!

Y.
 chris m fisher 18 Jun 2009

Most of the routes in Beckfoot quarry (Eskdale) are named on a railway theme, flying scotsman, narrow gauge slab etc. The ratty (eskdales steam railway) runs along just outside its entrance. I wouldn't bother climbing there however...
M0nkey 18 Jun 2009

Fairhead has "Railroad" E1 5b and "The Embankment" E2 5b. Both are brilliant.
 Nic 18 Jun 2009

"The Bournemouth Flyer" at the Cuttings, Portland...although I don't know if that was a real train or not?!
 Scomuir 18 Jun 2009
To the north of Aberdeen there's a small fishing village called Collieston. We found a small cliff nearby with some short, low grade routes that were fun to do. The main thing about this cliff, is that just to the right of the routtes, there is the rusting carcass of a railway carriage leaning against the cliff, which appears to have been pushed off the edge at some point.

Naturally, this became "Carriage Cliff", with routes like The Flying Scotsman, The Fat Controller, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc. Never got round to climbing up the carriage though...
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jun 2009
Railway Wall at Wharncliffe
 Mick Ward 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Nic:
> (In reply to Dave Musgrove)
>
> "The Bournemouth Flyer" at the Cuttings, Portland...

Tim was good at bridging... perhaps his second was less able. Classic Dunsby naming!

Mick

P.S. Do you frequent these new fangled (according to Bruce!) climbing walls up London way - as may be up soon on a spot of research?
 Nic 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

Climbing walls you say? Some sort of brickwork for aspirant Alpinists to practice on I'll warrant? Stuff and nonsense, but if they amuse the young people...

...apparently there is some such structure in a godforsaken part of the world called "Mile End". I dare say I could find a few stout fellows to mount some sort of expedition there...but we'll need the elephant guns and some buckshot, the natives are none too friendly I gather.
 Petra Ernst 18 Jun 2009

Buxworth railway crag
and the following routes
One way ticket
Day return
 Mick Ward 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Nic:

Hmm... perhaps we'll have to discard such opening lines as these:

[Swirling mists of time & space... to Humphrys Barn, the Pass, 1971.]

"Look here you chaps [no, honestly!] I've just come down from Oxford."

[Somewhat stunned silence - followed by dour voice from dark corner]
"Ah'm from Wolverhampton Poly, meself!"

Impolite titters.

Mick

It's not in the UK, but I got my own back on Geoff Hornby some years ago.

He named a route in the UAE "Stark Raving Mad" in my honour.

I repaid the compliment with "Hornby Loco"

Dim Dringo 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove: Hows about this one

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=93460

The Cambrian - my local line through Oswestry!
 Nic 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

It would be better to use some lines from "Crocodile Dundee"..."Nah, that's not a knife...THIS is a knife"

...although the likely response around Mile End is "..yeah, but this is an Uzi..."

Let me know what you're up to

N
 Nic 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> I repaid the compliment with "Hornby Loco"

Brilliant on many levels!
 Mick Ward 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Nic:

Will do. Many thanks. < Rummages for water pistol, fondly imagines, "That'll scare 'em!!" >

Mick
 jonny taylor 18 Jun 2009
Rock Island Line at Peel Crag, Northumberland is named after a railway line (or more probably after a song about one):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Island_Line_(song)
 Mick Ward 18 Jun 2009
In reply to jonny taylor:

As is 'Rock Island Line' in Glendlough. Lonnie Donnigan, wasn't it?

The skiffle cri de coeur, "It's trad!" somehow seemed so much more innocent then...

Mick
 John2 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Mick Ward: Donegan was resurrecting Leadbelly's song.
 Mick Ward 18 Jun 2009
In reply to John2:

Ah, thanks - that makes perfect sense. I always thought it was a bit odd (otherwise).

So Trad was derivative. Holey moley.

Mick
OP Dave Musgrove 18 Jun 2009
In reply to all:

Thanks to everyone. I've passed on your comments and suggestions.

Dave
Gavin McGrath 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Dave Musgrove: The Tube, Back Bowden Doors.
OP Dave Musgrove 18 Jun 2009
In reply to Gavin McGrath: I like your thinking but not sure the first ascensionist had the Underground in mind!

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...