UKC

Registry cleanup software

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2009
Anyone care to recommend some Registry clean up software

Been getting frequent blue screens on my laptop, investigation points to ntfs.sys and googling that gets me to various progs which promise to be able to fix it. Question is, who do you trust ? Don't mind handing over £20 for some useful software, but want to be careful before setting something loose on my registry

Any useful advice, tips etc welcome
 remus Global Crag Moderator 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall: ccleaner is pretty good http://www.ccleaner.com/

your problem may be more specific than that, though. Worth giving this a try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822800
 rallymania 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall:
easy tiger, just because google has linked to pages claiming to be able to fix your problem doesn't mean you should trust them
ntfs.sys
appears to be the file that allows your computer to read NTFS disk partitions
nothing to do with your registry
might be worth looking for assistant with restoring your ntfs.sys using the recovery console before you download other malware from the internet buddy
 rossowen 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall: you can try clicking the start menu, then goto run and type "sfc /scannow" which scans and replaces bad system files. You may need your Windows disk to do it though, unless the files are cached on your hard drive.
In reply to rallymania:
Yep, hear what you're saying, which is why I'm being cautious

Here is the text from the event log
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000024 (0x001902fe, 0xed4d445c, 0xed4d4158, 0xf73ebc5e).

And here is what microsoft says about it

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms793935.aspx

which is less than helpful

You'd think there would be enough address info there that some standard software would be able to track down exactly what was causing the problem
 ajsteele 22 Jun 2009

Open up the command prompt on your laptop and type in chkdsk /f /r
This will run the disk checking utility in Windows, /r will locate bad sectors and recover readable info and /f will fix any errors on the disk that it can.

This might work instead of paying for something to mess about with your registry when it's not needed. The problem is with your hard drive and not the reg.
In reply to ajsteele:
Hi there, already done that

Is there a similar program to check memory ?
 ajsteele 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall: What came back in the chkdsk report? Did it say there were bad sectors or faults?
In reply to ajsteele:
Good question - had to schedule and reboot it, then it went straight into windows on completion. Might run it again

DorsetGareth 22 Jun 2009

Google "Microsoft Memory Test" if you're worried about the RAM. I've done this, it appears to be very good, and diagnosed a RAM fault for me.
 ajsteele 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris the Tall: if you run it without the /f and /r then it will display the result instead of rebooting
 Swig 22 Jun 2009

Have you changed any hardware or updated any drivers recently?

Try 'Registry Mechanic' from www.pctools.com. Highly recommended by many of the main computer magazines. 'Spyware Doctor' from the same company is also excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...