UKC

NEWS: Llanberis Slate Quarries Closed For Filming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Jun 2009
[Installing Porta-Cabins in the Llanberis Slate Quarries, 2 kb]A remake of the film Clash of the Titans is set to be filmed in the Llanberis slate quarries.

There have been other issues with access to the slate quarries recently, with rumours circulating that after the filming the quarries will remain closed to climbers.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48030

jkarran 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

> If you do see the Kraken, perhaps in Vivian pool, the official UKC advice is not to approach it, keep calm and call BMC Cymru. Nesting restrictions may be in place.

Like it

Let's hope for a reasonable deal if and when they fully re-open.
jk
 gethin_allen 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:
It seems fair enough.
People talk about supporting the local economies around climbing destinations, for once this involves not going there.
It shouldn't be a problem for climbers, it's not like there's nowhere else to go climbing in the area.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

When I was in Pembroke a couple of weeks back and they were getting ready to film Robin Hood (Robin Goes West?) - the plans were to close the road to Freshwater West AND getting the army to keep quiet for a week!

Chris
 Owen W-G 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Clash of the Titans actor Sam Worthington (Perseus) recently had this to say on The Internet Movie database (IMDb) about how the filming was going: "We've done two weeks...We took on the Medusa. We've took on the witches. Next week we've got to take on the Scorpius and then we go and f***ing kill the Kraken. So, you know, at the moment it's all guns blaring kind of thing."

The pedant in me wants to point out to Mr Worthington that guns blaze, it is speakers and Tonys that blair.
 SC 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

I went there on Friday, the security were pretty helpful. Bus Stop quarry & Vivian quarries seem to be OK & some areas in the main bit, once you get past where the track cuts through the cliffs (i'm not local & don't know the name of the quarry) are open until the 29th.
In reply to Owen W-G:
> it is speakers and Tonys that blair.

Don't forget Lindas and witches...

T.

Morgan Woods 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

£50k seems a pretty small sum for such a massive location.
 Banned User 77 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods: It's not, they are only using a few small areas for a few weeks, seems a decent deal, for land which wasn't being used.
 Sl@te Head 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: Is it possible to change the title for this news item as the the whole Quarry is not affected and neither is Vivian and Bus Stop.It is still possible to climb on Slate!
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Sl@te Head: I am sure that if you sneak in from the various other access points for instance the Rainbow Walls will probably still have access from the vivian quarry approach, similarly you'll probably be alright going to the top of Australia.
 Sl@te Head 22 Jun 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J) I am sure that if you sneak in from the various other access points for instance the Rainbow Walls will probably still have access from the vivian quarry approach, similarly you'll probably be alright going to the top of Australia.

and if you disguise yourself as a Titan you could probably get away with climbing anywhere!
 petellis 22 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often to be honest. Never heard of the clash of the titans but I hope its good.
 toad 22 Jun 2009
In reply to petellis:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
Never heard of the clash of the titans but I hope its good.

WHAT??

seminal bit of early '80s stop motion cheese!

youtube.com/watch?v=m-r6YvB5vCI&

Jack Geldard 23 Jun 2009
In reply to toad: Brilliant!

I have added that trailer in to the news item!

Jack
 AlH 23 Jun 2009
In reply to toad: Awesome cheesiness- made my morning!
Al
 Mike Raine 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Intersting how many characters in that clip are named after routes already!
 Banned User 77 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves: Last night they seemed to be counting us through to make sure we stayed on the main drag. As I ran through bus stop the gaurds at the gate seemed to radio that through and then I'm sure the security as the main security portacabins and Dali's Hole had counters in their hands. they seemed to be making sure we didn't go off into the quarries.

I had planned to do the 'Grisiau Mawr', basically all the steps in the quarries from Vivian to the top access road abovr australia, on Thursday but I'm not sure that will be allowed at the moment.

dirtbag1 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News:

DESTROY ARGOS!
In the current economic climate I believe Zeus' advice to be a little harsh. I've always found Argos to be quite good for certain things....
 owlart 23 Jun 2009
In reply to dirtbag1: Bl##dy foreign Gods, coming over here, destroying our catalogue shops...
 Bill Davidson 23 Jun 2009
In reply to petellis:

I seem to remember that Judi Bowker had a fine arse on her!
 SonyaD 23 Jun 2009
In reply to petellis: I can't believe you've never seen Clash of the Titan's!
Oh, it's bound to be on TV again some Xmas, you MUST watch it, it's brilliant!
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 23 Jun 2009
In reply to SonyaD:
> (In reply to petellis) I can't believe you've never seen Clash of the Titan's!
> Oh, it's bound to be on TV again some Xmas, you MUST watch it, it's brilliant!

It was on TCM last night after the Omega Man, the original version of I Am Legend.
 JWB 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC News: We were there on Saturday evening and the film security were friendly and helpful. We wanted to climb at Dali`s but that was AOB so we went up to Australia. They informed us that officially we were trespassing as soon as we crossed the fence but that didnt concern them and that the quarries would be shut in July.
Removed User 13 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Evening!

Please can someone give me some information?

Are all the slate areas off limits til August or is it correct that Vivian and Bus Stop quarries are still accessible?

Thanks

G
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Removed Usergmico: You'll be fine in Vivian Quarry and Bus Stop. You might even get away with some routes eslewhere if you approach them from either the top of Australia or the zigzags by vivian quarry.

Basically the security guards are on the main footpath, if you don't come across them then you'll be fine. If they see you they are allowed to shoot you on sight, as is the Hollywood way apparently
Removed User 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Thanks for the quick info!
 S-Crew 14 Jul 2009
me and my climbing partner went there last week, and the guard just basically told us we weren't allowed in due to filming and rigs being set-up. its cobblers about them being able to shoot you on sight, as this aint hollywood, it's wales, but he said that when filming is over then it would be re-open, but, if you go off the beaten track and cross any gates or fences then you will be prosecuted as it is private, and no-one is allowed access under any circumstances.
In reply to S-Crew: How did you get on with joining a more helpful forum? =o)
 d_b 22 Jul 2009
In reply to toad:

I have the DVD.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...