UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Relocate: Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 23 Jun 2009
[The Sphinx, Burbage, 3 kb]In this new mini-series 'Relocate' we take a look at different areas of Britain and what they are like to live and climb in.

"Fifteen minutes drive? No! Ten minutes? No! Five minutes! Five minutes drive from my house to Stanage!"

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1813

seagull 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Excellent article Adam.
 Banned User 77 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: "Sheffield remains a place where wealth may be carefully accumulated but not flaunted, ostentation is avoided, and folk stay down to earth."

Urm? Not sure about that. I think Sheffield is one of the showiest, 'I'm rich and I'll show it' cities there is. You won't see it if you live in the Crooks/eccy road area but head out to Dore/Bradway/Totley way and you'll see that side for sure. A lot of 'new rich'. Money can't buy class I think is the saying, go down to Naps and you'll understand that one.
 lummox 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Leeds has lower rainfall and more sunshine than Sheff and Mancland... but don`t let that get in the way of the article.
 Banned User 77 23 Jun 2009
In reply to lummox: Not sure about Leeds, spent some time there, Brother lived there and had a girl friend out Bingley way, but I prefer sheffield, it just seems so easy to get out of. I don't know leeds that well though. I grew up 40 minute run from Burbage and I think that valley can hold it's own with almost anywhere else in the UK, it's just stunning.
 lummox 23 Jun 2009
In reply to IainRUK: I was simply correcting the article.. I hope more climbers stay in Sheffield : )
Geoffrey Michaels 23 Jun 2009

Good article, refresh my memory, is there a list of places with articles about them?
 Adam Long 23 Jun 2009
In reply to lummox:

I did say 'in my experience', but you are right, though I daresay it depends on precisely where the raingauges are sited. As I mention, rainfall drops off very quickly from west to east in Sheffield. The same is true for West Yorkshire, though less marked, but Bradford actually has higher rainfall than either Leeds or Sheffield.

To compare rainfall on the respective climbing areas requires much more data which doesn't seem to be on the web though! Having had a similar discussion with Si Panton over N Wales, it depends on which crag you choose! So Parisella's may be drier than Almscliff, and Almscliff may be drier than Stanage, but if Stanage is dry you've got the entire Eastern Edges to go at, which isn't the case in Wales or W. Yorks.

lummox 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Adam L: As I said, the more climbers in Sheffield, the better..
 ADC 23 Jun 2009

Not to be pedantic... But...

The photo which is labelled as S10 is taken from Carr Bank Lane, which is S11.

Yeah, I know, that's pretty pedantic...

Ackbar 23 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: If Sheffield City includes Rivelin Valley and Burbage, it's a bit misleading to say it is the greenest city in Europe.
 Adam Long 23 Jun 2009
In reply to ADC:

You're right... but that's just the viewpoint, the view is mostly of S10.

Ackbar:

I daresay the other cities measured contain similar peripheral areas... Sheffield's just happens to be nicer. Plus:

'With an estimated total of over two million trees, Sheffield has more trees per person than any other city in Europe' - euroresidentes

'61% of the city is greenspace.'
South Devon Rock Hugger 24 Jun 2009
Any particular reason that the book in the photo of John Coefield has Niall Grimes' name in large letters, instead of that of Jerry Moffatt? Or is it actually the long overdue autobiography of Hard Grit's history narrator?
 Adam Long 24 Jun 2009
In reply to South Devon Rock Hugger:

Grimer ghost-wrote Jerry's book. For the publication party Vertebrate made Grimer a special copy with a personalised dust-jacket.
 DougG 24 Jun 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

> but I prefer sheffield, it just seems so easy to get out of.

I know what you mean, but I must admit to having a wee chuckle when I read this.
 Banned User 77 24 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG: I think I actually mean it like that too..I've never really liked the city itself, especially the city centre but it has changed a lot over the last 10 years. I'm always getting lost when I go back now. It's location is its huge benefit. Evening cragging, running, mountain biking is so accessible.

As a teenager I could cycle from home after school out over the eastern edges for a few hours, so much space to go at. My parents used to drive me out into the Peak, drop me off and I'd run home back over the moors, at the time I had no idea that was fell running, it was just football/rugby training. I think they were trying to help me train..not get rid of me..
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 26 Jun 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Good article Adam.
 Jonny2vests 26 Jun 2009

I've been here just under a year and love it. Perhaps the Mafia might help me with this...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=361296

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...