UKC

recovering from a fracture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hezy 01 Jul 2009
I fractured my radius in my forearm at the weekend, straight down the bone not acrossso no surgery or pinning. i am in a cast for 6 weeks but expect a lenghty layoff from climbing after that. anyone else done this and how long were you out of action for?
 brady 01 Jul 2009
In reply to hezy:

Hi Hezy, sorry to hear about the fracture. I badly broke my ankle and fractured my other foot taking a lead fall 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I hit a small ledge on my way down. Just finished 6 weeks in plaster, it came off today. My ankle has a plate and some screws in, and is still swollen, but I can now do some painful physio. (have to use a lighter rack with the extra hardware!)I still expect to be out of action for the next 2/3 months.

With you it may hopefully take less, but the time off will impact muscle wastage and it will take time to build up your arm back to where it was.

I've started a tick list of routes to bag once recovered. The trick is to stay positive, and it sounds like you are managing that ok. Stick with it, and the physio!

Best wishes.
 Alex T (RAFMA) 01 Jul 2009
In reply to hezy: I did that and the ulma at the same time. luckily I had a good physio who helped get me climbing again. The main issue was getting the flexibility back into the wrist after being in a cast. Once that was acheived by manipulation, stretching and some exercises.

I was winter climbing again (more carefully!) after 2 months from the accident. I was doing easy rock climbing within 3 months and was back to VS within 4 and back to low Es within 6.

Make sure you get physio as soon as the cast comes off.
 Martin Haworth 01 Jul 2009
In reply to hezy: I broke my Ulna 4 weeks ago, straightforward break with no complications. Just been to the consultant today and he reckons another 3 weeks in cast then 3 weeks in a brace, making a total of 10 weeks, apparently its a difficult bone to heal!!
Its frustrating but I am trying to make the most of it by getting mountain fit.
 Silum 02 Jul 2009
6 weeks is nothing.
hezy 02 Jul 2009
In reply to hezy:cheers to all
teadrinker 06 Jul 2009
In reply to hezy:

Bad luck. I broke my ulna last summer and the sheer weediness of my forearm and hand when I got the cast off was my main problem. I'd recommend keeping your hand moving as much as possible within the cast - it'll probably still be hurting now, but the pain should ease off soon, so make the effort to use a pen if it's your writing hand/generally use it within reason. That'll keep your muscles working a bit. I didn't climb for maybe 2 months after I got my cast off, but that was for other reasons - I was back doing self-defence training, including pressups and pull ups immediately. And I climbed a route with my cast on, on principle. Don't get too miserable, it'll be back to normal before you know it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...