UKC

Who ate all the pies?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smudge 03 Jul 2009
Ok so it was me.

What I've been pondering is how much harder I could be climbing if I lost a stone (cough) or maybe even two.

I've already shed a fair amount over the last couple of years and managed to get back to reasonable fitness levels but I'm now thinking that weight and flexibility are the two components I really need to focus on in order to move it up a gear.

Any interesting or motivational stories out there?
 Joking 03 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge: Once upon a time there was a guy that worked out really hard & lost nearly 2 stone, as a result he was more nimble & faster.. this made him a better climber. The end

Sorry its been a hard day!
Toby M 03 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:
I ate all the pies, and I am obese.
 tony 03 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

You need a broccoli-based diet. Worked for Malcolm Smith.
 martin heywood 03 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:
>
>
> Any interesting or motivational stories out there?

Dunno, have you seen "Supersize me?"
 Silum 04 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

I ate all the pies, but remained remarkably thin thanks to a brilliant metabolism and wonderful genetics.

Well I found it interesting and motivational... think i'll go have some cake.
 BBLCaroline 05 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:
Mmmm pies
 RachelP 05 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:
gone from being a size 12 to a size 8 - can climb a lot better now as lots less weight to lift. made me a lot more confident as an individual as well...so lots of good came from it
(hint - just stop eating crisps, chocolate, biscuits (pies! and alcohol) etc and dont even walk down those aisles in the supermarket.
sorry its not an interesting story as requested :P
 pdufus 05 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge: Not me (wipes crumbs off shirt).
 brieflyback 05 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

I don't know how much I've actually lost this year - never really measured, as I expected to put on muscle by running and training. But I've lost about 3ins off my waist, am generally much more toned, and it really does seem to make a difference to not only the walk-ins (being forced to have a breather on the way to Crookrise is a bit shite, frankly) but also to my centre of gravity!
OP smudge 05 Jul 2009
In reply to Silum: As you get older you'll turn into a fatty! I had no worries in my 20's...
OP smudge 05 Jul 2009
In reply to r_parnham: Blimey, what kind of difference did it make to the grades you were climbing before and after? I know that there are other factors other than weight but I have a feeling it might help me jump a couple of grades.
 jaswa 05 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

Up to 29 I couldn't put any weight on, ate like a horse, found it easy to stay fit of as a fiddle.

At the age of 30 it all changed. Was able to put fat on for the first time in my life! Amazing how the body changes - for me it was like a switch all of a sudden!

Now i have to think about what i eat as well as remaining to keep active.
mattmos 06 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

I used to be fit in my 20s but desk jobs and working all hours took their toll. Over the last year or so I dropped about 2 stone from 14 and a half to 12 and a half stone. Still a bit of a porker. Went from struggling up 6a/6a+ to flashing 6b/working 6c now and aiming for a 7a by september. Weight loss has gone hand in hand with climbing twice a week though, so practice has prob helped.
OP smudge 06 Jul 2009
In reply to mattmos: That's what I'm talking about! I've lost a fair bit and gone from being solid HVS to solid E2 (on-sight), I have been training pretty hard as well though. I'm struggling to get myself motivated to shed more even though it would probably really help :/
 Reach>Talent 06 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:
I'm heavier than I've ever been and still progressing with trad and sport on-sight grade and the worked indoor grade is still rising. I figure that when I eventually pull my finger out and lose a stone or so I'll grab a few extra grades fairly quickly. Just think of the extra pies as training weights.
mattgc2 06 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge: many moons ago there once was a lad called matt.
matt was a a strong guy. 17 stone of pure muscle until
one day matt was squashed by a tree and his spine was turned too mush.
after many months in hospital matt was no longer 17 stone of muscle but he was a giant fat git.. sadly matt could no longer lift weights .
happily though he could climb !!!!!! matts now 11stone of pure gristle....yeahhhhhhhh haaaaaaa
Musique 07 Jul 2009
I'm totally in the same boat as you.

I just came back from a roadtrip around Europe, and have put on a stone! Shit!

All those beautiful Croissants... and eating my fair share of food as the boys I was travelling with. - Not the best idea.

I went for my first boulder today since I got back, and I am aching like a newbie.

My Motivation is that I don't have any money to buy new pants(or food for that matter), so I have no choice but to loose the weight.
OP smudge 07 Jul 2009
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to smudge)
> Just think of the extra pies as training weights.

I actually laughed out loud! Good advice, I'll go eat some more.
OP smudge 07 Jul 2009
In reply to Musique: lol. btw, in case you haven't heard they are trousers over here, pants are much more interesting though.
 richardh 07 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

Laugh? I'm not sure of the exact quote, but John Dunne I believe said something along the lines of pig out, be lardy, train hard, then hit the gym to lose the weight and get good. He was/is quite good.
OP smudge 07 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh: John Dunne has long been an inspiration, I've seen him climb quite a number of times and he is amazing.
 Fatclimber 07 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh:
> (In reply to smudge)
>
pig out, be lardy, train hard, then hit the gym to lose the weight and get good.

I am very successful at the first two. Doesn't seem to help though!

add 07 Jul 2009
In reply to Fatclimber: HI for insperation id give Jerry moffet a read , i realy enjoyed it and think its exactly what y lookin for . otherwise just try to eat a little less of whatever you want and beast up your traning a few more hours !!! hope it helps pal . happy cranking
OP smudge 09 Jul 2009
In reply to add: Ta for that, I've just bought the book and really enjoying it. I wish I'd got Jerry's discipline and motivation.

Also, the chapter on Stoney is great.

Lost four pounds over the last week, so getting my act together...
Mausman. 13 Jul 2009
In reply to smudge:

I believe i ate all the pies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...