UKC

walk in to aiguille dibona

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 03 Jul 2009
of to the ecrins tomorrow , main objective is the aiguille dibona. over the limit on my ryanair check in allowance and considering ditching the axe and crampons as i've been told the walk in to the sorellier hut is non glacial . any one been there recently / any experience of it . are crampons a must have for this ?
 summo 03 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: You'll be fine, sun hat, sun cream and water is all you need. There might be the odd little snow patch higher up, but this won't impact on your route choice on the dibona.
 summo 03 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: Forgot to say you might want to research La Meije as well and modify your overall plan. Save the weight by leaving something else behind.
 Dave Williams 03 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:

Having done quite a bit in La Bérarde I would have to agree with summo. You definitely don't need ice axe and crampons to do anything on the Dibona but I wouldn't go there without taking them because it'll really limit your options if you wanted to do other stuff on the higher peaks while you were there.

Lou Kennedy 05 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: I climbed Dibona just over a week ago by Visite Obligatoire. We carried our mountain boots up for the descent, there was a little snow but could have got away with runners. Approach to hut on excellent path that takes no time at all. So it is more a case of whether you want to spend time exploring the other climbs that impacts on whether you take crampons etc. Enjoy. There are pics of our ascent at http://climbinginpink.blogspot.com
 tebs 06 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: I just took trainers - was fine. Completely non glaciated approach. Bit of a snow field to cross on the descent but you can avoid all but about 20 metres of it if the memory serves correctly
 Pierre Maxted 06 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:
For future reference - the hut guardian will be happy to advise you whether you need crampons for the approach to this route or anything else in the cirque Sorellier. She advised us to use them when we tried it a few weeks ago because there was plenty of lying snow that was hard/icy in the morning. It's a great route, not difficult even in big boots.
 HimTiggins 15 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:

Does anyone know if there are any routes that can be done on the walk in? There looks to be plenty of rock, so I thought it could add some interest to the walk in...
 Monkeyrock 15 Jul 2009
In reply to bullwinkle: Probably, but if your quick on the walk in you should be able to get somthin done on the Diabona.
 JDDD 16 Jul 2009
In reply to Dave Williams: Can you not hire axe and crampons in La Berade? You certainly can in Ailefroide.
 Max factor 21 Jul 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman:
you can from the epicerie - Eur8 for crampons, probably similar for an ice axe.

Everything in there is really expensive though, so shop at bourg d'Oisans for as much of your food as you can.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...