UKC

your next big challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 08 Jul 2009
reading through various posts, there are a lot of posters working towards very specific goals, be they routes, expeditions, other 'sporting challenges'

so - questions for everyone, not just those with clearly stated aims:

what are you working towards?

does the knowledge that you have a challenge looming motivate you more?

(in off-belay as it's not just about climbing/mountaineering challenges)
Clauso 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm injecting myself with stem cells from owls in the fervent hope that my hairs mutate into feathers.

If the experiment's successful, then I'll stop shaving and head off to face the challenge of living as a feral owlman somewhere in darkest Derbyshire.
 owlart 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: My next (minor) challenge is to release my late friend's software as Open Source, which is going to take some time and quite some work I suspect.

Not sure about further life-related challenges, maybe I'm too stuck in a rut to see over the top.
 Zygoticgema 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Moving out of home is probably my biggest challenge. Complicated by new job and pay cut that it comes with. I've organised a part time job to make sure I can pay my way. It's going to be tough but it's worth it.
In reply to Tall Clare

Im desperatly looking for a new challenge! In a post achievement lull since coming back from Lofoten.

> does the knowledge that you have a challenge looming motivate you more?

I cant train or motivate myself without it.

SDB

In reply to Zygoticgema: me & the missus are working towards an ascent of Mt Blanc next summer (I know it seems a long way off, but were both v. unfit!)
And i've found its had a huge influence on my motivation to train, because i actually have somthing to work towards!
OP Tall Clare 08 Jul 2009
In reply to carrot_boy:

an alping trip next year was wafted like a carrot in front of me a few weeks ago...
 tony 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Interesting question, given that I've just completed a major goal, and people keep asking what I'm going to do next.

In a domesticated way, the next big tasks are refurbishing the bathroom and kitchen, but they're not exactly a challenge, and I don't really need to classify them as such to make me want to do them.

I think the next thing is to train for a sub-40min 10k race, and a sub-1:30hr half-marathon. However, both of these have been goals for quite some time and I haven't exactly made strenuous efforts to achieve these. Hmm, some kind of motivation would appear to be necessary, beyond simply wanting to do it.
 anansie 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Fitting a life for me around my little ones lives and helping another move on with his

Got my seat belt on and ready for the ride!
 JLS 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

>"your next big challenge"

Play big, lose big. I prefer mini challenges where defeat is less of an issue. Now show me another good F5+ redpoint proj, something a bit easier than that last one...
 Toby S 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
>
> what are you working towards?
>

Ultimately a cycle tour following the Scottish coast next summer.

> does the knowledge that you have a challenge looming motivate you more?
>
Yep, I'm building up to it by trying to get used to cycling for long periods at a time. I've also entered a few sportives this year as short term goals. I've got the Ullapool Mor in september and hopefully a couple of other events in August.

teflonpete 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - Consolidating at E1 this year.

Life in general - Stopping smoking (again! after I fell off the wagon after 4 months a couple of months ago).

Family and career - Just ticking over careerwise at the moment, supporting us while Mrs Teff does her PGCE so she can get her career off the ground.
Supporting our kids with what they are doing and helping my daughter get through her 11+.
In reply to Tall Clare: Finish my house rennovation and get a lodger in before I run out of money and suffer epic mortgage failure. =o/
 The New NickB 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have got a major, major, major work project on at the moment, which is looming over everything. Whilst I do have other specific sporting objectives, this seems to be overtaking everything.
 Axel Smeets 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Muztagh Ata in July next year and also getting the job I've got an interview for tomorrow (the 2 challenges are intrinsically linked for obvious reasons!)
johnj 08 Jul 2009
In reply to anansie: Yeah mines a bit like that recently i met this really cool girl who told me lots of sweet things about myself, now she says she needs some space and time, well it made me smile anyway, good luck sista A :+)
 Caralynh 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Mine is to sit, and pass, a 5 week course in Aug/Sept without losing my sanity. If successful I will get a promotion, followed by a second challenge of moving to a new job in a new area (no house move needed) at the start of October.
 Joking 08 Jul 2009
Its the Bristol Half Marathon for me, one small step for many... Many small steps for me!

It has motivated me to train much more, especially in adverse weatehr be it to hot or too cold/wet/windy!
 rossowen 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: I'd like to start working towards running the South Wales Traverse. I've ordered the maps this morning and am going to start the recce very soon I think!

Now, I just need someone to give me a lift to Brecon and pick my up 35 miles down the road 9 hours later...
 anansie 08 Jul 2009
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to anansie) Yeah mines a bit like that recently i met this really cool girl who told me lots of sweet things about myself, now she says she needs some space and time, well it made me smile anyway, good luck sista A :+)

She's probably just taking her time, maybe a little wary of bruthas Hang on in there brother John

Just chillin' this end , diggin' a brutha though

*Feels like she should be wearing 70's gear!* lol!

silverback 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Marathon des sable, 2012. Can't run for toffee and when you break it down by marathons, it isn't that far away.

Rob.
In reply to silverback:

blimey - from the pictures I've seen that looks like a challenge and a half!
 Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

No particularly BIG challenges, though I might up the stakes on the goals I set at the beginning of 2009 for the year as I achieved one sooner than expected and am very close to achieving the other.
So...the not-so-big challenges are:
lead a few HVS, start with some I've previously seconded then try to onsight some;
35m freedive;
become competent with a monofin;
complete half of the AIDA 3* freedive course;
MAYBE 40m freedive by the year's end
 fimm 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I think I'm going to enter a marathon...

I found that when I'd entered the half marathon I did at the end of last year, that very much got me motivated for training. I'm doing another half in August sometime, and I now seem to have the attitude "Oh, yes, its only a half, I can do that..." which has the potential to go horribly wrong.
In reply to Tall Clare:

I also plan to learn to last more than 4 seconds standing on a surfboard (in water!) before toppling over, but that's just looking ahead to a fun weekend rather than taking anything seriously.
Ooh and a 30m no-fins depth freedive too, I suppose.
silverback 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yep, it's slowly sinking in. It's probably as well the entries open (and sell out in a day) a few years in advance. My calves are less than accomodating to running.

Rob
 Tom Last 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing wise, my next big challenge is to have a go at Mars and Freeborn Man at Swanage, hopefully next week. I don't mind admitting that I'm a wee bit nervous about those ones.

Got a 10k coming up in September, which I'm not too worried about and hoping to do the distance anyway within the next week or two anyway.

Biggest apart from that is that I'm going to try to make, launch and recover a high altitude helium balloon with a camera on the payload to record proceedings. This is in its infancy a bit at the moment, but hopefully I'll get it going a bit more soon.
Derbyshire Ben 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Blue Straggler:

>35m freedive;

I'm impressed.
johnj 08 Jul 2009
In reply to anansie:
> (In reply to johnj)
> [...]
>
> *Feels like she should be wearing 70's gear!* lol!

Well you know what those that know say; 2009 is the third summer of love!

Have a good one :+)
 Arjen 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
finish the phd...
think that'll give me enough of a challenge.
 Banned User 77 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

UTMB, 160 k ultra in the alps - August
Commonwealth 100k champs - September (Wales' only qualifier)
Winter Paddy Buckley Solo - not sure, maybe only 2nd solo round to date. Not been many.

And long term Paddy Buckley Record but that depends on who else has a go. I'm helping on a record attempt soon and if they are too successful I'll just go for a quick round. If the record drops by more than 10 minutes over the next year I tink I'm out of contention for a serious crack.
 Flying Monkey 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

A friend of ours has suggested the Welsh 3,000s for next year. http://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/
This would be a massive challenge for me as I'm not an experienced hill walker and to do them in 24 hours is pretty full on, in my mind at least! Mildly terrifying but would be an enormous sense of achievement and the hardest thing I've ever done!

In reply to Flying Monkey:

<points up the thread at IainRUK>
reckon he's your man for tips on technique and training for that one
 rossowen 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Iain - Are you IainR on the FRA site?

Have you looked at the SWT? I've done some running and looking for a challenge. A big challenge. Do you know of anywhere I can find any more information about it? OS maps are in the post and I've looked at the gofar site.

Cheers
In reply to rossowen: Yes and then and no.. . North Wales based so at the moment I'm focussing there.

I'd email Rob Woodhall or Yiannis Trimidas. They know details of every round going and have done most, they post under RobW and ydt on the FRA site.
 rossowen 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Will do, thanks. And good luck with the Paddy.
 gingerdave13 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: move home, be best man, redecorate house (bits that are required), train for alps, climb matterhorn (zmutt ridge) after that i can relax.

but having said that i probably won't and will end up doing some very silly stuff in the alps and coming back to a LOT of gardening work.
johnj 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

Thats some milage good luck x
In reply to Flying Monkey: It's possible. Big but though, it's a massive day. We guide groups around in 24 hrs, most fail because of weather or lack of specific fitness.

You need to be hill fit, use to walking for 12 hrs plus but up and down big hills, not just up, along a ridge, down. We've taken 2 groups around recently, both contained pretty fit lads and both took 20-21 hrs. A long day.

Every group we've taken on it have said they underestimated it. This has been semi pro footballers, Mt Blanc summitters, triathletes, runners, rugby players, all fit guys, but not many specifically hill fit.

Also be able to navigate, you don't want to waste time. Having car support helps a lot, having friends/family to encourage/feed etc at the road stops has been crucial for the groups we've got around.

Also be fine to handle Crib Goch, it's easy technically but you want good weather and a good head for heights.

Good challenge, but it's a big step up from most other challenges. A good intermediate challenge is the Welsh 1000m peaks. The 4 peaks, over 1000m high in Wales. Start at Aber, walk up Carnedd L and D, over the back of the Glyders to Pen Y Pass then up the 2 snowdon peaks. Takes 10-15 hrs for most.
 prawn 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

well, after many years of telling my OH he's too obsessed with chasing grades... I spent last weekend at cheddar working an F6b ( i usually climb F5+ ) and to my delight i finally lead it cleanly before we left ... and the buzz i got from doing was so great that it has now got me looking for a nice F6c to work when we go to cheddar again in 3 weeks....!!
 Flying Monkey 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
Really helpful to get feedback from someone who knows. No time just now to digest properly as I'm at work but will come back, thanks.
In reply to Flying Monkey: Oh and those 21 hrs have included walking up and off at the end, so valley to valley times. You can get the early morning train up (8 ish if you book early) or camp on the summit and dump gear in Nant Peris on the way through. Drop us an email through here if you want any info. The 3000ers site is good though and contains most of the info you need.
 tony 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Flying Monkey) It's possible. Big but though, it's a massive day. We guide groups around in 24 hrs, most fail because of weather or lack of specific fitness.
>
> You need to be hill fit, use to walking for 12 hrs plus but up and down big hills, not just up, along a ridge, down. We've taken 2 groups around recently, both contained pretty fit lads and both took 20-21 hrs. A long day.

What's the total ascent/descent in the day? The distance sounds fine, but I'm very aware that doesn't count for much - the most ascent I've done in a day is about 8800ft.
 fimm 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

Am I right that the "Welsh 3000s" is the same as the Paddly Buckley? And what is the record? Good luck for your various races.
In reply to fimm:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Am I right that the "Welsh 3000s" is the same as the Paddly Buckley? And what is the record? Good luck for your various races.

No, Welsh 3000ers is 25 miles or so and 3500m ascent (I think). Record 4:22.

Paddy Buckley is 61 miles, 8500m of ascent. (Joint) Record 18:10.

Cerulean 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

It has tenuous link to climbing. I'm trying to move back up North...
In reply to Cerulean:

a splendid idea
 anansie 08 Jul 2009
In reply to johnj:

Ooh, we'll have to get around to having our own 'Chipboard?' !:oP ( the Woodstock title's been used already ye see
 SFM 08 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to fimm)
> [...]
>
>
>
> Paddy Buckley is 61 miles, 8500m of ascent. (Joint) Record 18:10.

That's a hell of a day and a challenge!! Good luck on it.
 ksjs 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: grow new ankle and once thats done have a day's surfing and then become obsessed by it if i like it as much as my beginners surfing (paddling actually) lesson with no surf then complete purchase of house in north wales, fix that up, meanwhile finish 8a and E5 efforts (open good wine if successful on either count), maybe earn some more money and go to chateauvert in september for sport climbing bliss.

if all that fails i'll maybe meet up with Darren and see how his owl efforts are progressing.

not sure how people get by without goals / plans. maybe that just means im some kind of control freak or im deluding myself into thinking i actually have control. dont like the idea of just seeing what comes along as i think we can all largely achieve what we hope for if we put our minds to it.
In reply to SFM: I've been doing the legs at record pace, did 2 legs the other night (in the dark) and was 30 minutes up after 8 hours on the record schedule and that was carrying water for someone else and navigating as it was dark. I think I can keep that pace for another 4 hrs, it's the last 6 which I'm not sure about. I'm just planning a 'quick' round, if the record is still close then I'll go for that, but if all goes well I'll help someone break it this weekend (though hopefully not by too much..)...
johnj 08 Jul 2009
In reply to anansie:

I'm not sure i know what a chipboard is, but seen as its you; if you want to email me a postal address i'll send you one of my lil ol rockband latest and rather rare ep's.
 anansie 08 Jul 2009
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to anansie)
>
> I'm not sure i know what a chipboard is, but seen as its you; if you want to email me a postal address i'll send you one of my lil ol rockband latest and rather rare ep's.

Chipboard is a cheap and cheesy sort of wood like MDF? Oh dear you! hee hee :oP Woodstock was like real wood?...nevermind

Would love to hear what you've been up to mind? Will mail ye later or you could send me a message through FB me dear ok

johnj 08 Jul 2009
In reply to anansie: Ah i see, can only be an email through the forum, i don't do basef*ck ;+)
In reply to ksjs:
>
>
> not sure how people get by without goals / plans. maybe that just means im some kind of control freak or im deluding myself into thinking i actually have control. dont like the idea of just seeing what comes along as i think we can all largely achieve what we hope for if we put our minds to it.

good point - I think that there can be a point, though, where goals turn into obsessions, or tools to beat ourselves with if we don't achieve them.

Liam M 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: I have ideas of slightly longer term ambitions, most distinct of which is complete a half-ironman (I'm going to dub it an Alu-man!) before I'm 30, which gives me two more summers. There are also vague ideas to go sub 40mins for 10k and sub 90 for a half marathon - though that would need me to actually do road running.

I'm finding at the moment though it's much easier to motivate myself for smaller less formal challenges (I'm managing about 1-2 fell races most weeks at the moment), and having something very short term to focus on allows me to avoid having to think long term and keeps me vaguely sane (quiet in the back!).

The real challenges at the moment are finding a job and finding someone cool to share my time with. I have a feeling I could be biting off a bit too much with these two though, so will stick to running up muddy hills!
 Guy 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Well I achieved my goal earlier on this year. I decided towards the end of last year to take up road cycling and do the Fred Whitton. Amazingly I managed to get around with walking any of the hills and finish under 8hrs.

That kind of left me thinking OK what now? I will keep doing the cycling as I really love it but have decided to give the RAB Mountain Marathon a go with my mate in September. Should be interesting as I haven't run that much since I had my ACL reconstructed. Finding it harder to motivate myself for the MM than the FW.

marsbar 08 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: some vague plans/goals/ideas including
paddling the caledonian canal
learning to surf
Getting a reliable white water roll
pushing myself on a bit in my paddling more white water
more sea paddling trips in nice places

When I have a specific challenge, yes it motivates me more with fitness like before my last trip I upped my swimming to get my general fitness up.
OP Tall Clare 09 Jul 2009

thanks for the responses, everyone - some very interesting thoughts (and awesome challenges!).

I'm busy trying to rationalise some of my challenges to work out what is and isn't feasible at the moment.
 Cú Chullain 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Was meant to be doing the Berlin marathon later this year but after a series of injuries over the summer training is way behind schedule. A rather boring goal at the moment is to just get fit again, at least in time for the start of the rugby seaon
 John_Hat 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing challenge is just to get out more. Not bothered by grades, though there's a few routes I'd like to tick this year (e.g. Counterstroke of Equity), but its not going to happen unless I get out!

Climbing well and regularly at the wall, but weekends are getting eaten by:

Non-climbing challenges

Renovating/gutting our house. Buying a wreck is a lot of work!
Saving like mad for a new kitchen extension
Getting half-decent at piano

Which are being much-interferred (not that I mind) with by

Supporting both my mum and Lady Blue's family after my Dad and her Grandad died this year. We're using weekends to go down to them and be as helpful as we can..

So at the moment its all a balancing act. Which is a challenge in itself.
 gingerdave13 09 Jul 2009
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> Getting half-decent at piano

oh i'll add getting half decent at tenor horn n'all.... (forgot about that). Only recently switched from cornet so it'd be grand to get good.

Mind you have jumped up from second cornet to first horn - eek!
 Mooncat 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Next biggie is the Race Across America in a years time, I definitely wouldn't be able to do the miles I have been doing (and will soon resume) without a specific target.
 Owen W-G 09 Jul 2009
Good thread.

I'm also, to quote the man above, in a bit of a post-achievement demotivated state. Climbed 4 consecutive w/e's in June while family were on hols, and got the big objective of Left Wall (at last) ticked, plus a bunch of other sought-after routes so feel I've got climbing off my chest for time being and climbing obsession under control at the mo, and happy to not climb and spend family time for July at least before the hunger returns.

I've never been hungry just to go out anywhere and climb anything, rather I get myself highly motivated to plan and execute a specific route. If I get that one route done, I lose motivation for the rest of the day/weekend. I don't have a target now and I'm glad cos I'm enjoying a rare moment of peace.

I say so, but one other achievement nailed in June was first 7a (first route harder than 6b+!) at Portland. A certified trad man, I've hardly done any sport in a few years and never redpointed before. The thought worm which is burrowing in my head is that I should I go back to Portland and give redpointing a second day. Shamelessly all about numbers but it might be the start of a new bug! Shhh, stop that thought!
 Guy 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Mooncat: Enjoy kansas! I have to say that does not appeal in the slightest to me. I guess I like to be able to semi enjoy the view when I am riding rather than halucinating about snakes etc!!
In reply to Owen W-G:

hmm... interesting. I've got a big long list of routes I'd like to do, but co-ordinating partners, locations, weather etc isn't my strong point at the moment. I've got some other (non-climbing) objectives which are my 'biggies' for this year, so it's also a case of trying to balance climbing with these other goals. And then kayaking sneaked in under the radar too...
 John_Hat 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Owen W-G:
> Good thread.
>
> I say so, but one other achievement nailed in June was first 7a (first route harder than 6b+!) at Portland. A certified trad man, I've hardly done any sport in a few years and never redpointed before.

I did similar. I hardly ever climb bolted stuff (11% of total routage, says my logbook), and hence jumped from 6b+ to 7a the last time I went bolt clipping. Saying that, that was in 2007....

Nebulous 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Trying to stay awake for the rest of the day is a hard enough challenge for me!
 alasdair19 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Owen W-G: well done on Lwall etc, i read the various posts about it. I'm not so good and plan execute btu I tend not to lose motivaion for climbing either. My best climbing moments are intuitive somewhat random and i just try and put myself into position to climb things rather than I will climb x or y.

My goal is 3 alpine routes, sadly experiance tells me given good weather approach climb recover takes about a week each... quite sure its a big ask but hoping to get lucky and get into a physical and mental place where it can happen.
 Mark Torrance 09 Jul 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to SFM) but if all goes well I'll help someone break it this weekend (though hopefully not by too much..)...

If you are navigating for them, then presumably the "not by too much" bit is entirely within your control.

Banned User 77 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Mark Torrance: No, he's a top MMer so I've no chance of leading him astray, he knows the route well too. I think this record can drop by an hour or two yet so I'm not focusing too much on it, I know it's at my limit now so could drop at any time..

He's strong, mentally and physically, I think he'll do it but he's had injury issues, so the weather or an injury are his main threats I reckon. Wet rock slows the pace quite a bit.
 'Hilda' 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

1. Cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats, via the three highest peaks in July next year.

2. Get my confidence to get back into climbing. I've lost about 30% of the feeling in the ends of my fingers (still undiagnosed after a year of tests & physio). I've not climbed rock in nearly a year, though I did get to the base of an ice route in February - when I found that I couldn't grip the crab to get myself out of the belay because my hands were cold!!!!! I felt like a two year old.

another question!

how do you people decide which goal to go for next? and how easy do you find it to put other activities/challenges/distractions/etc aside?
In reply to Tall Clare:

er... that's two questions, but hey ho.
heather monkey 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm in a goalless hiatus at the moment & I'm really enjoying it. It's giving me time to muchle about with various things I think I might/could be interested in & see what does, & doesn't, appeal.

The last big challenge I succeeded in was work-related & so to a degree decided for me. I think I'd like a more personal next big challenge, but I've not decided what yet...

In achieving my last big goal I found it hideously difficult not to be distracted by anything & everything else. I'm hoping that some of that was because it was work(ish) & when I manage to settle on a more personally motivated challenge I'll find that easier to focus on...

Mibbes...
 Marc C 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: I can probably divide my current 'challenges' into minor medium and major...

minor - mastering the didgeridoo, improving my flasmenco guitar skills

medium - getting over my back injury and soloing 50 routes at Stanage on my 50th birthday in a few weeks time

major - somehow getting off the existential raft I'm clinging to (financially, emotionally etc) on a choppy sea - & eventually arriving at a place where I feel at home, contented and at peace. Maybe do that (equivalent of a Duke of Edinburgh treble Gold award?) before I die!
 Cú Chullain 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
>
> another question!
>
> how do you people decide which goal to go for next? and how easy do you find it to put other activities/challenges/distractions/etc aside?

I have a very long 'to do list' and I pick my way through that depending on what my shape my finances are in and how much time I can take off work.

My first 8000m peak is someway down the list
 martin heywood 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> I'm injecting myself with stem cells from owls in the fervent hope that my hairs mutate into feathers.
>
> If the experiment's successful, then I'll stop shaving and head off to face the challenge of living as a feral owlman somewhere in darkest Derbyshire.

Inspirational.
I cannot personally be arsed to challenge myself but this kind of thinking might just provide me with a reason to live.
God bless you.
In reply to Tall Clare: My current project is a 7c at Malham called 'A new dawn'. When i first got on it i could only do about two of the moves, but slowly over a number of days it is getting closer.

There is now only a couple of moves that i can only do 50% of the time.

I like the feeling of doing moves that i first thought, or felt were impossible to me.

Also doing hard moves on a 7c makes a 7a feel almost comfortable.

*i said ALMOST
 pdufus 09 Jul 2009
A route with plastic red holds on at MCC. Got it into my head once I've done this I'll be strong enough to do all my projects. I'm giving myself 3 weeks.
 riddle 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: 3 for me!

1, City and Guilds course, 2009
2, Diploma, 2009
3, Husky sledding expediton, 2010
 Pids 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

I amlost in a sea of contentment at present, and contemplating a short term future of putting my needs/aspirations on hold for a while due to other factors.

Short term I guess I can be hapy with going biking frequently and climbing occasionaly, but with an eye as ever on the approaching winter season and making sure I am fit for that, and have the time to enjoy the season

Mid to long term goals I really do not have any, have never really been that driven in these but always have managed to do something to keep the base fitness levels ticking over.

Good to get ideas from others though as to "things to do"
 Matt Rees 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Iron Man Lake Placid 2010

Remember how to climb harder than HVS (as soon as possible)

The former objective is likely to ruin my chances of achieving the latter.
In reply to Pids:

Oo, you've got Pids jr (Mk II) coming along imminently, haven't you? Being lost in a sea of contentment sounds very good.
 Marc C 09 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Sea of Contentment? Ah, the layperson's term for the amniotic sac!
 Nebulous 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

My current challenge to get going with my CWA - just need to get a lot of leading done first!

As for a non climbing challenge, I guess its to get my own business started - although wont be for a few years!
adamtc 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: Starting my Paramedic training in September. Haven't been a student for over twenty years. That's gonna challenge me enormously.
Half marathon soon too.
 Banned User 77 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: I was emailed by a poster on here but their email keeps bouncing back, here's my reply..

August is Not necessarily too late. The walk up and off at the end are easy to follow in the dark. Depends on your navigation. I'd aim to get past Carnedd Llewelyn by darkness, after that it's pretty easy walking along the ridge as long as your navigation is up to scratch.

I did my paddy buckley in mid august, you just have shorter day length.

You can use this calculator to provide estimates of the amount of day light at each time of the day, although it's for the Paddy it still gives times and state of light for North Wales on any day of the year.

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run_pb/paddy_buckley_calculator.php

The main thing is weather, a very hot humid day and it's far far harder. I've failed it around 3 times myself through a mixture of tiredness and dehydration and then a mates injury.

If you sleep up there you can also set off at first light but that means doing the ridge with a pack on. The other option is start of Pen Y Pass, do Crib Goch first, then Carnedd Ugain, then Snowdon, then drop down to Nant after Clogwyn Station or Llechogg (by a style - the way I prefer). This is the faster way valley to valley, but peak to peak it's faster to start on Snowdon summit.

Someone else just emailed me and I'll reply to them later in the day..
 Ztephan 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:
Been a vegetarian for a year now, to see if it was as hard as people claimed(for those who wondered, it's not), so my next challenge is to keep my flat tidy for a year, now that's going to be a tough one...
Knitting Norah 10 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Getting back up some of the Lake District mountains again and back on the rock after the hip op.
Have done one or two hills and a bit of scrambling about and that has gone very well. I am just hoping the consultant says I can use a harness again so that I can try something a bit more specific than scrambling about. I'll never be able to do anything great but then I never could before! Just getting the mountains back will be so good! I see him at the end of this month.
 bobert 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not too sure as yet. Has been exactly 2 weeks since completing the Bob Graham round. It has left a big hole in my life, but satisfaction of completing it is massive. Might go for a solo Rigby round (cairngorm munros) in late summer or wait for a solo winter Bob Graham.
 Sam_in_Leeds 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

1: Getting a new job
2: Getting the balls to apply for an MA
3: Go to New Zealand in 2012.
4: Find a new passion to give me something to get excited about
Reg29 11 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare: To complete Toughguy in a reasonable time.

To complete the 'Paras 10' complete with 35lb rucsack within 2hours.

Attend a winter mountaineering course feb/march.
 Banned User 77 15 Jul 2009
In reply to rossowen: Ross Yiannis has a comprehensive write up of the SWT in this months 'Fellrunner' magazine. If you email him through the FRA forums he may send you a copy. He's on his hols at the moment not sure when he's back.
PaulMarshall 15 Jul 2009
In reply to Tall Clare:

After getting voluntary redundancy, moving back to Yorkshire and getting a new job.

Get climbing on grit.

Finish quitting some medication I'm on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...