UKC

which ukulele ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nadir khan 13 Jul 2009
I'm thinking of buying a ukulele to take on travelling trips . i am a guitarist so shouldnt take too long to get the hang of the chord shapes . trouble is , i didnt realise that there are soprano , tenor and baritone ukes . which one do most people play , is one better for guitarists than others re the tuning and can they be tuned , D, G B E like the bottom four strings on a guitar to make chord playing more familiar and finally , can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive uke ?
 Liam M 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: Doesn't really answer your question, but get one of these, you know you want to http://www.musicroom.com/imagezoom.aspx?product_id=443907
 Owen W-G 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:

Please don't visit the same campsites as me on your travels.
 sharpie530 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:

I too went from playing the guitar to the uke and now have a soprano with G,C,E,A tuning and the chord shapes are the same as on a guitar, only 4 chords lower (forgotten the musical term for this) i.e G chords on a guitar = C on a Uke, , A=D, D=G. It doesn't take long to get used to it.

I have a "Vintage" uke, cost around £25, nice enough sound, though the more you spend the better sound you get!
 Nigel R 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nk: When I saw the thread title I thought: "that's going to be one DULL magazine..."
 sculptor 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nk:
> I'm thinking of buying a ukulele to take on travelling trips . i am a guitarist so shouldnt take too long to get the hang of the chord shapes .

I was after the same kind of thing - for travelling trips - but instead I got a 3/4 size classical guitar and I love it. It's harder to play than my acoustic/electric but because of that I find that I tend to be more accurate with my fingering and when I, subsequently, pick up my acoustic/electric I play much better than if I were to practice on them.

Up to you though.

Cheers dude

OP Nadir khan 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Nigel R: maybe , but when its featured on "have i got news for you " it'll open up the uke to a whole new audience
OP Nadir khan 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Liam M: yes , will go nicely with my spinal tap leopard skin spandex tights !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...