UKC

NEWS: Dave MacLeod in More Torridon Terror - New E8 & E9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Jul 2009
[Dave MacLeod on the FA of Present Tense E9 7a 320, 3 kb]More first ascents on Scottish sandstone for MacLeod machine:

Dave MacLeod has climbed two more new routes at Seanna Mheallan, Torridon, Kelvinator at E8 6c and Present Tense at E9 7a.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48328

Morgan Woods 13 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

wow! great effort and write up....also looks like he's got shock absorbers on those wires....must be marginal placements indeed!
 mal_meech 13 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News: Another great line, and another description that makes you want to be out on the rock, not stuck in the office!
The photos of Gaz comming off Firestone makes me shudder though...

Surprised how few reads this has got, suppose it's "only" Dave doing another E9 and "only" in scotland...
 Michael Ryan 13 Jul 2009
In reply to mal_meech:
> (In reply to UKC News)

> Surprised how few reads this has got, suppose it's "only" Dave doing another E9 and "only" in scotland...

Really...

This news story has been read 1,434 times in about 5 hours. It will hit 2,000 by midnight, 3 to 4,000 in a few days.

Mick

mal_meech 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Sorry Mick, shows as 465 on mine, vs 800+ for the accident story.

I stand corrected...

Mal
 Wft 13 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News: amazing stuff, all topped off by the class E9 Grade overbite in that picture.
 Glansa 13 Jul 2009
In reply to mal_meech:

You sound like you're looking at forum thread reads and Mick is talking about News pages reads. It seems there is life beyond UKC forums after all!

nb
 nz Cragrat 13 Jul 2009
In reply to Nick B, Another One:
> (In reply to mal_meech)
>
> You sound like you're looking at forum thread reads and Mick is talking about News pages reads. It seems there is life beyond UKC forums after all!
>
>
>
> nb

really?
I only ever go to the forums - thats where my link is to - occasionally to the home page or articles
 Michael Ryan 13 Jul 2009
In reply to nz Cragrat:

People access the site via different pages. Some have certain pages bookmarked; news, forums, homepage....some actually google 'ukclimbing', some access via the newsletter.

To give you some insight: the forums latest page averages 2 million views a month, homepage (ukclimbing.com) around 400,000 times a month, the news page 160,000 times.

As regards page views: articles, news and gear have public page counters on them. However many won't see the actual views as when a page is visited by some browsers the page is cached so you will only see the page counter number that you saw originaly.

I admin we always see the true number of course.

As regard vies on forum topics, viewable on the forums page, I believe these auto refresh at regular intervals. Also the number of replies a topic gets doesn't reflect how popular an article or news item is.

Mick

Offwidth 14 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Any stats for the percentage of non climbing related accesses (culture and pub especially) and do the 2 million views include mulitple threads and posts? I'm guess I'm getting old and cynical in not being surprised at seeing less than a 10th of traffic for your excellent news coverage compared to the usually less than excellent forums (fortunately with notable occasional exceptions). I look at both more often than not.
 TimB 14 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Has anyone got any crag shots of Seanna Mheallan? I'd love to get an idea of what the whole crag looks like.
 Colin Moody 14 Jul 2009
In reply to TimB:

Not crag shots but these are to the right of the recent routes.

An E3 at the crag.
http://www.colinmoody.com/Site/Torridon.html#16

An E2 at the crag, the corner on the left is E1 the crack on the right past the tree is VS.
http://www.colinmoody.com/Site/Torridon.html#14
 Chris F 14 Jul 2009
In reply to TimB: Good photo topos in SMC Northern Highlands South and crag shots in gary latter's Scottish rock vol 2
 Colin Moody 14 Jul 2009
In reply to TimB:

And I think the E8 from a couple of weeks ago climbs the rib at the left side of this photo.
http://www.colinmoody.com/Site/FA.html#21
 TimB 14 Jul 2009
In reply to Colin Moody:

Thanks Colin and Chris.

BelleVedere 03 Aug 2009
In reply to TimB:

Also I have a question

is it Seanna Mheallan or Seana Mheallan?

Google suggests the one n version (300+ hits versus 100+)

or does it not matter?
 tony 03 Aug 2009
In reply to es:

Single n on the Ordnance Survey map. I'm sure DonaldM or DougG could advise on the difference between the two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...