UKC

Problems at Alderly Cliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paul cox 09 Feb 2003

Just to let everybody know that Alderly cliff is at present very dangerous.

i was up there yesterday and there was some huge rockfalls as I was half way up a route narrowly missing both myself and partner, luckily no injuries but if I was any higher up I would have most certainly brown bread.

The route was Carmen at VS 4c and at the top there was a huge boulder about the size of a mini which has been suspended for many years between the top of the final pillar and the hillside. This is the boulder that came away and made me fill my pants. There are still a couple of large boulders wedged but are very very loose and will most certainly come down over the next few weeks weather this will affect the top section of the route I am unsure. As far as I'm aware the majority of the rest of the crag to the right of Carman is ok, however I certainly wont be climbing there for a long time.
Ben Tye 10 Feb 2003
In reply to paul cox:

Good post Paul... have you let anyone from the BMC know ?

Ben
Kipper 10 Feb 2003
In reply to Ben Tye:
> (In reply to paul cox)
>
> Good post Paul... have you let anyone from the BMC know ?
>

I was thinking the same thing - I stopped off there a few weeks ago, and bouldered around at the bottom thinking that it would be nice to come back in the Summer now that a lot of the trees have been cut back. I've only climbed there once before (Clothesline?) and it was a bit tricky descending wearing rock boots through about 6 inches of snow!

StuT 10 Feb 2003
In reply to paul cox: This is a BMC managed crag, so someone should go and trundle any loose stuff!

Stu
Graham at the BMC 10 Feb 2003
In reply to Ben Tye:
Thanks all - yes, someone has left a message at the office, and this posting fills in some details - I'll make sure it gets onto web news - and to UKclimbing/PlanetFear news people. Any more info much appreciated. Cheers, Graham Lynch (BMC Access & Conservation Officer)
paul cox 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Graham at the BMC:

I did leave the message on the answer phone and am quite happy to nip back in a couple of days to see if anymore has come down and if needs be try and get rid of the most of whats left. I'll keep everybody posted.
 Duncan Bourne 11 Feb 2003
In reply to paul cox:
Scary thought I soloed that bugger at the start of last year. There but for the grace of god and all that!
paul cox 11 Feb 2003
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

its a shame... Its a nice route, problem is if the rest goes theres a chance that the whole top section from the tree up may come down.
Graham at the BMC 11 Feb 2003
In reply to paul cox:
Thanks Paul. One of our local access reps should get a chance to take a look in the next couple of days too. I'll keep you posted of any developments.
Jaz 11 Feb 2003
In reply to paul cox:
well done Paul,your my hero!!
(only kiddin, tell us about it in the week)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...