UKC

how many crags have you ticked all the routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Archer 24 Jul 2009
according to the UKC database,

I've done 4

would be a couple more but there are scrambles in the database and I have not counted these.
 Al Evans 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer: Its impossible, because as soon as you do somebody does another route. Otherwise I have done several.
J1234 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:
I would think Goi.Ashmore and Toreador may have done one or two
 Carless 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

Loads as far as I know - mostly seastacks
 Offwidth 24 Jul 2009
In reply to J1234:

Its quite hard these days, especially now they keep putting up spoiler stuff like that horrible cave roof crack at Harborough. I think I only have the one crag, Windgather, and that was by the skin of my teeth (nasty HVS on one of the side walls).
 gribble 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

And talking of nasty HVSs - Al, Piledriver at Froggatt is now very unkind at HVS!
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:
None for me - it would need to be somewhere with nothing above VS.
Actually I can't think of anywhere that I've even managed to tick the crag at VS and below, the nearest are probably Peak Scar, Whitestonecliffe, and Park Nab (just one VS left to do there).

Unless you include things like Grasmoor, where I've done 100% of the 1 listed climb (which is actually a scramble).
 Offwidth 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Toreador:

I've done a few at VS but there will be a lot more when the new BMC guide comes out and removes all the sandbags from my hunting ground in the SE peak. More pleased with all of Stanage upto VS though.
 Offwidth 24 Jul 2009
In reply to gribble:

Why now?? Its hardly the toughest in the old guide 2 Pebble for one is harder.
 JR 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

One of my life goals is burbage north (not including the boulder probs). Got about 25 left to do I think, most of them now are pretty hard and a few are unrepeated but getting there...
 sutty 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

All the crags in the old Laddow guide apart from two that got blown up at Yellowslacks.

Nearly completed Stanage in the original guide as well, only a dozen or so routes not done, then they brought out the recent developments and back to square one.

Windgather did everything in the original guide there as well, and all but two on Castle Naze.

Scugdale, everything apart from three in three evenings.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

Its pretty hard to do, I think I've done Scugdale Stoney Wicks and Beginners slabs, probably some more as well but the plethora of spurious new route claims and insignificant variations make it a futile exercise. My long term project is to climb all the routes in the Peak area which are documented in a guidebook. I'm about 40% of the way there but there are a few catagories of exemption such as; Access not permitted, Routes that have disappeared, routes that are unclimbable due to vegetation (It takes a lot to stop me though!), routes that I consider too dangerous to climb (Blue John Rib) and routes that I physically cannot fit through/in.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Jul 2009
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
> (In reply to Ian Archer)
>
My long term project is to climb all the routes in the Peak area which are documented in a guidebook.

Upto HVS.. that is.

Important clarification that!
 Ropeboy 25 Jul 2009
In reply to gribble:
>
> And talking of nasty HVSs - Al, Piledriver at Froggatt is now very unkind at HVS!

Piledriver Direct, now that's tricky!

J
 Al Evans 25 Jul 2009
In reply to Ropeboy: Blame Steve Bancroft for that one. I once did all the existing routes at Farelton and Warton (not Warton Main) in a day.
 richardh 25 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

I've ticked Robin Proctors in the dales, but had to go back twice to keep it ticked. Gigg South may go, but Gigg North out of my league!
 orge 26 Jul 2009
In reply to richardh:
>
> I've ticked Robin Proctors in the dales, but had to go back twice to keep it ticked. Gigg South may go, but Gigg North out of my league!

Err... Gaskins has probably spoilt that for you - Violent New Breed 9a+!

richardh 26 Jul 2009
In reply to orge:

I may claim the G-Spot as a separate crag in that case!
 Offwidth 27 Jul 2009

I wonder how many of us there are?

Ticked my last sub VS on the Skyline on Saturday (a solo HS called the Parrott and Balaclava ... turns out I'd already climbed and noted it at VD 4a) and did my last problems below V1.

My attack is being hindered somewhat by the current poor weather but I'm making progress even if its advising upgrades of scary/dirty/vegetated/ sandbag (delete as appropriate) VS climbs that I've seconded but hopefully will never be required to lead.
 DerwentDiluted 29 Jul 2009
In reply to Offwidth:
There cant be too many of us! It requires a combination of resistance to ridicule and a strong stomach. I find soloing a diff at somewhere like Torside clough a lot more adventurous and often more challenging than leading a popular VS. I beat you to Parrot and balaclava as I soloed it in March last year but it dosn't stick in the memory, though I've got a long way to go before I get the skyline sub HVS ticked.
 Pekkie 29 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:
>
I haven't even done all the routes at Pex and I've lived 10 minutes away from the place for 35 years. Mind you it's got 200 routes not including traverses & boulder problems, including unrepeated Phil Davidson death routes and 'gone back to the jungle' esoterica. And most crags now have all sorts of arty farty hard eliminates and variations that you're never going to be able to do. What happened to those crags in the old guide books with half a dozen good honest V. Diff to HVS routes that you could 'tick' (I hate that word) in an evening without having to take the ciggy out of your mouth?
 John_Hat 29 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

I think I've done everything at Windgather bar the E1, but that's the only crag where I'm close.

I've done all the VDiffs at Almscliff though... Which is an interesting experience..
 Pythonist 29 Jul 2009
In reply to John_Hat:
Indeed - I did Windgather in two sessions. First time just the HVS/E1s (only 5 routes, IIRC), then went back for the rest in a single afternoon.

And I ticked all of Harborough Rocks in under two hours - but that was only the RockFax lines (I'm sure there must be more) and before Whittaker's horrible roof-crack addition!
 Col Allott 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:
just windgather and back forest.

What's the easiest crag to tick in the UKC database? I'm sure I could take on the might of the Gaer Stone.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10233
 popebenedictus 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Col Allott:
Scugdale Stoney Wickes is quite straightforward too

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3304
 Offwidth 30 Jul 2009

You didn't beat me not that that matters... it was listed as Linearity VD 4a on Offwidth. I got confused because the guidebook distances are wrong around there and ambiguous. I'm still not sure where the extreme Very Connoissurish goes but it is likely a blinkers attack on the arete taken intiially on its left by Curvature (P&B being just right of the arete: an undercut unproteced slab from a hard start.).

I actively encourage ridicule... seems to keep it at bay
 Offwidth 30 Jul 2009
In reply to John_Hat:

The E1 is loads easier than the HVS just right ????
 alicia 30 Jul 2009
In reply to JR:
>
> One of my life goals is burbage north (not including the boulder probs). Got about 25 left to do I think, most of them now are pretty hard and a few are unrepeated but getting there...

Hey, I'm just intrigued, what's unrepeated at burbage north?

Simon Caldwell 30 Jul 2009
In reply to popebenedictus:
Not sure that Stoney Wicks counts, as the current guidebook doesn't list all the routes
OP Ian Archer 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Col Allott:

been there - not really worth the effort. Nice views though.
 nniff 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

A couple of us soloed every route on the landward cliff at Bosigran one afternoon, but it now sports a couple of E3s that spoil that little game.
 Bulls Crack 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

None I think. Not sure I've ever been to a crag whereI could...or wanted to.
 DerwentDiluted 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Offwidth:

Dang! knew I wouldn't beat you to a peak sub VS ;0)

Removed User 30 Jul 2009
In reply to Ian Archer:

There aren't many routes at Polldubh and Glen Nevis sub E2 that I haven't done, so there are probably a couple of crags there that I've climbed out. The Hawcraig, Berryhill, Polney and the E. face of Aonach Dubh lower walls (up to E2) will be contendors, but as Al said, there will be new routes done since (and there has been plenty time for that).
 goi.ashmore 22 Aug 2009
In reply to J1234:

Amusing. I try to tick crags (to the extent that a friend referred to me being 'A Completionist Bastard') but I am not very good at it - probably only ticked about 2 dozen. Had to tick the Gap and Witches several times, thanks to Mr. Thomas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...