UKC

NEWS: Japan and Great Britain Have Most Peak First Ascents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Jul 2009
[Everest summit, 2 kb]In a recently prepared table, which lists the number of first ascents made by individual countries of peaks of more than 6,400m, Great Britain is second only to Japan.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=48529
MB - Profile removed 26 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Damn right! I did the first ascent of the swarm mofo's!
 Michael Ryan 26 Jul 2009
 MeMeMe 26 Jul 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Must be hard, Tyler Landman seems to be using some kind of extra limb coming out of his face to get up it!
Ackbar 27 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News: This is why it is important to protect our Trad heritage. Out of interest, anyone have any idea what percentage of these new ascents are done by proffessionals or guided tour groups?
 Glen 28 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Any idea why he chose 6400m? Seems to me that there a thousands of worthwhile mountain first ascents, that have been done and remain to be done, below this height.
 Alex C 28 Jul 2009
In reply to Glen: Good question. Maybe 6400m is what he considers to still be a peak of significant size in the Himalayas. If the work was focussed on Europe I guess 3000m would be of similar stature?

So of course this ignores all alpinism in Europe and, as you say, peaks everywhere else that are <6400m. Just one of those things I guess -- once you put statistics in context you realise the headline is sort of misleading. "Japan and Great Britain Have Most Peak First Ascents" should have "Over 6400m" addended which doesn't sound so clear-cut. You could just as easily change the headline to:

"Japan and Great Britain Have Most." Hoorah for Blighty! We have most!

I have to admit when I read the title I thought it was referring to the Peak District.
 Yanchik 28 Jul 2009
In reply to Alex C:

Of course, Great Britain RAN most of those peaks from about 1700 - 1945, so we should be expected to have made most of the first ascents.

Quite apart from all the ones in the Alps and Caucasus we did first because the locals were a bit unmotivated...

Y (tongue in cheek smiley)
Bev Stayart 28 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News: Thanks for this info about the rankings of Japan and Great Britain in first ascents.
 Null 31 Jul 2009
In reply to Bev Stayart:

Looking at the list, if population weighting is considered (as it should be - number of first ascents per head of population) then Austria might well be the "first", which would come as no surprise to me (Them is well 'ard).
 Padraig 31 Jul 2009
In reply to UKC News:

These statistics were collated by Professor Josef Hala from Prague in the Czech Republic, an internationally-noted classical pianist.

Where did you find this crap Mick? FFS! NEWS?
In reply to UKC News:

Have you got a link to the actual table, Mick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...