UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Rope Scars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Aug 2009
[Dinorwic Slate Cutting Shed, 3 kb]In this article, that was originally entered for the UKC Mountain Literature Writing Competition, Marc C explores the strong emotional bond between those who have shared a rope.

"I hadn’t seen the straw-textured hawser rope for nearly 40 years, and, as my hands gathered in its rough texture, the memories locked in the rope’s twisted strands seeped out... my Dad shouting up at me – “Not like that, you cack-handed clod!”, and my own tremulous voice imploring “I don’t like it, Dad!”.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1321

Offwidth 03 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Mould splattered carabiners?? Does he store then in jam???

Tall Clare 03 Aug 2009

Enjoyed it very much. A cut above, to my mind.
 fimm 03 Aug 2009

That's brilliant, thank you.
 Mr Lopez 03 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Excellent. Why didn't this win? It's certainly miles ahead of the winner.
 brieflyback 03 Aug 2009

Really, really good. One of those in which the whole exceeds the sum of the parts, even though the parts are excellent to start with!
 Michael Ryan 03 Aug 2009

An outstanding piece of climbing literature.

Mick
 Dave Foster 03 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Very moving piece of writing.
 jamestheyip 03 Aug 2009

An unusual article about our emotions attached to climbing rather than the thrill it gives us. I like it a lot.
 Mick Ward 04 Aug 2009

Unutterably brilliant. The miracle of love...

Mick
 Yanis Nayu 04 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: An absolutely brilliant piece of writing that struck a chord with me. Superb.
 Marc C 04 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Thanks to everyone for your appreciation. I'm glad the story touched you - I felt a bit like a ghostwriter, as it sprang unbidden from the lumber room of my memory - with a twisting of imagination.
 Mr Lopez 04 Aug 2009
In reply to Marc C: Send it here http://www.alpinist.com/p/mag/contribute_mag (the climbing life). It'll certainly get published. One of the best narratives i've read.
 Michael Ryan 04 Aug 2009
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> (In reply to Marc C) Send it here http://www.alpinist.com/p/mag/contribute_mag (the climbing life). It'll certainly get published. One of the best narratives i've read.

Dude - it has just been published.

But yes, Alpinist would be good too.

Mr Lopez 04 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think you know what i mean... Maybe i should change 'published' for 'printed'?
And they pay good $ too!

Mr Lopez 04 Aug 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Here, have a laugh youtube.com/watch?v=RY9u0LxIWJk&
Fantastic piece of writing, thanks for sharing.
Mountain Safety Advisor 06 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Marc - a really enjoyable and moving piece of literature. Thanks Heather
 mattrm 07 Aug 2009

A great piece of writing. Genuinely moving and sent shivers down my spine. I don't know if you write much, but you're very good, keep it up.
 DougG 19 Aug 2009

Great article, Marc.
 isi_o 19 Aug 2009
Great writing. Something in there that can strike a chord with everyone. Thanks!
Isi
 FayeG 20 Aug 2009
This is amazing. A lovely piece of writing.
Yrmenlaf 21 Aug 2009

Read it at lunchtime at work; brought tears to the old eyes (which is a tad embarrassing in an open plan office)

Thanks

Y.
 alasdair19 22 Aug 2009
In reply to Yrmenlaf: same here fortunatly not at work, the best thing i've read here recently
 SonyaD 26 Aug 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Ashamed to admit, I've only just sat down and read this. A totaly beautiful piece of writing Marc, am sitting here with a tear in my eye.
 Rob Naylor 27 Aug 2009

Like SonyaD, I've only just read this. Great piece, Marc! Loved it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...