UKC

The best expedition rucsac is...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Overton 12 Feb 2003
Off to the Tien Shan this summer and need a big pack for the trip- around 70litres+ I reckon. Any recommendations??? Current sac is a macpac so looking at it's big brother the ASCENT XPD but hate the ice axe tubes.
OP Mal 12 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Overton:

I've got an XPD and admit the axe holders are a bit crap.
Make sure you get it fitted properly - can be a bit tall with the back stakes in it which makes it difficult to look up when climbing with it fully loaded )take the lid off).
Got its good points though. Well stable and comfy, can be stripped down to the bare sack and virually bombproof. Try to get a second hand one and cut the axe tubes off.

If thats no good, I've got an Alpinist 60+15 for sale!!
 vscott 13 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Overton: Have a look at the pod expodition- huge capacity and desgned to be stripped down to a lightweight climbing pack.
 TobyA 13 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Overton: I've got the standard Ascent and its been very good. Very tough, good with 25kg plus loads and still relatively light and OK to climb with - there's a picture of me if you go through my profile staggering about with too much in it - they claim 65 ltr but its as big as my old 75 ltr berghaus. For harder climbing the big crux pack looks good. I've got the small one and its great so far.
thespacecat 13 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Overton:

Macpac Glissade, solid, big, fantastic harness, no silly axe tubes. However it aint cheap ie about £200!! A friend has one, and I want it

Doug
 Mattyk 13 Feb 2003
In reply to Simon Overton: Depends what fits your back best..

I was struck on Macpac XPD.. lots of gizmos etc .. but when i tried the POD X-POD i was well impressed with how comfy it was and how 'easy' to carry killer loads!

Seen as you have macpac it might be prudent to stay with what you know but have a try of the x-pod if you see one ( R+ R stock them)!

The x-pod looks like you are getting a lot less for your money which is what is off putting.. but it strips well light for climbing and IMHO is a lot more comfy!

Matty K

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...