UKC

The edge / High sports Rotherham grading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sadsetts 06 Sep 2009
I've recently visited High sports climbing wall in Rotherham, after doing the majority of my indoor route climbing at the edge in Sheffield and wasn't at all sure about the grading of the routes.
Now, i don't climb at a high grade, but I found that I was cruising 6a+s with relative ease compared to the same grade routes at the edge.

Has anyone here climbed at both venues? And have they found a similar situation? Are the grades pretty stiff at the edge? Or lightweight at high sports?

masonwoods101 08 Sep 2009
In reply to sadsetts: edge is more accurate mate, my friend instructed at the high sports and said they where over graded. plus the edge is full of proper climbers not leisure centre teams.
 Swig 08 Sep 2009
In reply to sadsetts:

In my experience they both can be a bit inconsistent!

Maybe the routes at Rotherham just suit you better rather than the grading being wrong. I'd guess they are less steep at Rotherham but it's been a while since I've been to either.

legbitme 08 Sep 2009
In reply to Swig:
Im inclined to agree. As all climbers move differently, setters also set differently.
Personally I always take grading with a pinch of salt anyway, but it will depend where your weaknesses lie .
I beleive both the edge and rotherham have very good setters, some of which are pro climbers at both walls, so I'd say enjoy the routes for what they are.
 legbitme 16 Sep 2009
hi there i thought the grading at high sports was a little easy until i read the grading sheet properly and realised that there routes are all holds only for hands i still climb at high sports regular and have seen loads of people using features for hands, if any body fancys a challenge steve mcclure has set a 7c down there which believe me is a 7c i have found all grades on all sites are different but you must remember to read the grade sheets to see how your supposed to climb them.
 phill bentham 26 Sep 2009
In reply to masonwoods101: define a proper climber
 tom84 26 Sep 2009
In reply to phill bentham: one that onsights at hvs, clearly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...