UKC

mantleshelves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sbaddy 17 Sep 2009
I want to improve my strength for doing mantle shelfs. I no the best way to practice is by doing them but what muscle exercises are good to develop the mantleshelf technique
 Yanis Nayu 17 Sep 2009
In reply to sbaddy: Tricep dips perhaps?
 James Oswald 17 Sep 2009
In reply to sbaddy:
Mantleshelves to practice.
Dips to gain the strength.

This is a not particularly good technique video.
http://www.trails.com/video_496_climbing-intermediate-rock-climbing-tip.htm...
There are others online IIRC.
James
 SCGale 17 Sep 2009
In reply to sbaddy:

Tricep Dips are good because they're very effective and they also do your shoulders (another useful climbing muscle)

Push-ups will have some positive effects as well.
 clare_bear 26 Sep 2009
In reply to sbaddy: Dips are excellent base to start from.. make sure you go deep on them.. the other exercise to try is muscle ups.. pull up on a bar, then try and get on top of it... i can only do this by going one arm up then the other... most guys work on powering up with both arms (insane - in my opinion!!)
 Al Evans 26 Sep 2009
In reply to clare_bear: You actually need leg strength as well to stand up once you get your leg onto the ledge.
 clare_bear 26 Sep 2009
In reply to Al Evans: and flexibility to get your leg up level with your head!! I found for me that my legs were plenty strong enough to crank with, but it was the pulling..then pushing with my arms where my weakness was... so thats why i worked the muscle ups and dips first.
 Al Evans 26 Sep 2009
 The brainn 26 Sep 2009
In reply to clare_bear: Looks more a rock over rather than mantle. Watched guys mantle a crimp with one hand so he'd reach higher, he was climbing high E numbers, how you train for that is lose wieght and practice slab then increase angle till overhanging.
 Al Evans 26 Sep 2009
In reply to The brainn: Yeh, but there's a grey area when a mantleshelf becomes a rockover, the pic I posted could be considered a rockover (I do)but it's described in the guide as a mantleshelf.
 clare_bear 26 Sep 2009
In reply to The brainn: I think Al is right, when does a rock over become a mantle?? rockfax describes it as a mantle..http://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=19665... what about this one?..http://www.flickr.com/photos/comteclimbing/3795016766/in/set-72157621961122... i don't think loosing weight has much to do with it.. i think you've got to just get ur weight over ur feet quickly enough so you stop pulling with your hands and start pushing..
 Silum 28 Sep 2009
 jkarran 28 Sep 2009
In reply to Silum:

Is that the direct start into Elegy (A little Peculiar)?

Personally I'd say the difference between a mantle and a rockover is mostly to do with hand/foot relative height and position. For a mantle they're basically all in the same space (hands and foot). For a rockover the foot is a way out to the side and (often) a bit lower.

OP: Go do laps on Bob's Bastard and the slopey shelf round to the right of Morrell's Wall until your wrists are ruined, that should sort your basic mantleshelf technique http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=28580

jk
 The brainn 28 Sep 2009
In reply to Silum:In my eyes a mantleshelf if the words are broken down a mantle onto a shelf hence mantle shelf. Rockover being place your foot up high onto a hold or shelf even then rock your wieght onto this.To mantle IE in mantle place shelf ontop of fire; is to reach up mabye at full stretch and pull you arms till there straight above the hold/shelf your wieght is then taken on palms or finger tips then run you feet up. Rockover/mantleshelf in extreme cases could be construde as either or maybe a new word is called for, what about rocktleshelf. Anyway strong fingers and tricept muscles are the ones to strengthen wieghted dips and fingers crimpy climbing. Loose body wieght.
 Silum 28 Sep 2009
In reply to The brainn:

mantle-over or rock-shelf, you decide.
OP Anonymous 28 Sep 2009

Mantel not mantle.
 Silum 28 Sep 2009
In reply to Anonymous:
>
> Mantel not mantle.

No, mantle is just fine.
 clare_bear 28 Sep 2009
In reply to Silum: i guess if you want to be picky.. it is mantel shelf.. but i was spelling it wrong too.. mantle is part of the earths structure.. but who cares.. everyone knew what was meant!
 Offwidth 29 Sep 2009
In reply to Anonymous: Not the way I often see it done: the ledge is often nicely covered by a spreadeagled punter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...