UKC

top ten gallery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bit of a rant here. but i'm just looking to see what others think on this subject.

again i see that the photo of the week title has been handed to a lovely landscape shot of some cliffs at dusk. nice photo but apart for the cliffs, is it really climbing related is it?

also in the top ten gallery there are on a couple of 'climbing' related shots! don't get me wrong, they're nice shots and the photographers are talented or lucky, but isn't there a better place for photos of a beach?! this is after all a climbing website, how often do we see good quality shot s of climbers climbing in the top ten?

r.s.
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2009
In reply to mulletcocktail2000: Stop ranting, it took us ages to get landscape and wildlife galleries added to the galleries, there was an overwhelming desire from the forum to include these subjects. If you don't want to see them don't go into those galleries.
In reply to Al Evans:

i believe i have the right to speak my voice? i never said i didn't want to see them. i just stated that i thought there's a better place, than a climbing web site, for them!
 SouthernSteve 04 Oct 2009
In reply to mulletcocktail2000:

Perhaps there is a place for the top pictures in each category to be listed. The pictures in the current top ten are excellent and I wouldn't want them to be taken away, and category winners would mean that you could look at the top 10 rock climbing pictures for instance, would that solve your problem.
 ChrisJD 04 Oct 2009
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD: Excellent Chris, I gave it a 5, I do have a load of junk in my gallery, but at least its historic junk.
 petestack 04 Oct 2009
> nice photo but apart for the cliffs, is it really climbing related is it?

If it makes folk want to go there/climb there, it is. And surely the Land's End shot has that effect?

> how often do we see good quality shot s of climbers climbing in the top ten?

Maybe not as often as you'd like, but folk seem pretty merciless with the votes for action shots. On which note, I think the whole voting system is flawed because most of us aren't uploading our photos to enter some kind of competition, the needless 'poor' and 'rubbish' votes for competent shots that add value to the UKC database are quite a deterrent, and the best you can really say about it is that it does help to highlight the very best shots through the Top 10, Top 200 etc. And surely you'd agree that these are *all* worth looking at?
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2009
In reply to petestack: If you don't want votes you can just put your pictures in the crag shots gallery instead of landscape or climbing.
 petestack 04 Oct 2009
In reply to Al Evans:

I know, and I'm aware that some folk post action shots under 'Crag Shots'. But I try to respect the categories and sod the votes, even when it occasionally gets to me and I have been known to remove photos that I didn't think as poor as their votes!
 nikinko 04 Oct 2009

worth bearing in mind the top ten photos are chosen based on how the forum users have voted them. Seems like lots of climbers like to see lovely alndscape shots of some cliffs at dusk!
 Silum 04 Oct 2009

Saw your comments on facebook and definately agree.

I have no problems having them on the site obviously, but I think photos of the week on a climbing site should be, call me crazy, of climbing! It has turned more into a photographers little playground to either show off or express themselves... I just don't think this is the place for either. I suggest that maybe having two serperate lists, one comprised entirely of climbing would make sense.

As pretty as some of these shots are, they should hardly be top photos on a climbing site. Sites like rockclimbing.com don't seem to suffer this problem despite having a similar system of voting.
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2009
In reply to Silum:
> (In reply to mulletcocktail2000)
>
> Saw your comments on facebook and definately agree.
>
> I have no problems having them on the site obviously, but I think photos of the week on a climbing site should be, call me crazy, of climbing! It has turned more into a photographers little playground to either show off or express themselves... I just don't think this is the place for either. I suggest that maybe having two serperate lists, one comprised entirely of climbing would make sense.

But that is exactly what there are, seven galleries dedicated solely to climbing plus one to crag shots and one to historical pictures. In contrast there is one landscape gallery, a competition gallery, a wildlife gallery and the other two are pictures of members of the forum.
In reply to Al Evans:

true there are several different galleries for different subjects. but surely a landscape shot of a ruin on a hill or a row of trees with surrounded in morning mist or even a beach and some rocks, although they are very good, have little belonging here? this is a climbing web site after all...ukclimbing.com or perhaps it will be uksenicsohts.com soon! as for the 'climbers' who vote for these 'climbing' related landscape shots, is it possible that the majority of them live in cities and suburbs, thus they find these images 'stunning'?

it's funny when you do actually see a acton shot getting to photo of the week how many people comment that it's quite refreshing to see something different up there. does that not speak volumes?
 ChrisJD 04 Oct 2009

Any reply to my 9:36 post?

And are we looking at the same top 10 this week:

" a ruin on a hill or a row of trees with surrounded in morning mist " I don't recognise these?

And if you hadn't noticed, UKC is hardly just a climbing site any more. You might not like that fact, but it is what it is.

Removed User 04 Oct 2009

it was all downhill once the cows crept in with their insidious bovine voting

ChrisJD 04 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

'And to conform to you own internal guidelines of what people should upload'

i can't recall ever having said what people can and can not upload. all i have stated is that this is a climbing web site, yes? and that it would be nice to see more climbing shots in the top ten instead of pretty pictures.

archiecb 04 Oct 2009
In reply to ChrisJD:

I dont think that landscape photos should be taken off the site
- but one top 10 for landscapes and one for climbing photos might be a more sensible way of displaying the top ten for a climbing website.

I dont see any problems with that...
In fact I would actually quite like to see that as a new option.
 ChrisJD 04 Oct 2009

Now I'm a bit confused about what you are ranting about!

So what are you saying?

You started the Thread with this:

>bit of a rant here. but i'm just looking to see what others think on this subject.

>again i see that the photo of the week title has been handed to a lovely landscape shot of some cliffs at dusk. nice photo but apart for the cliffs, is it really climbing related is it?

Are you a bit confused as to how the photo of the week is selected.

It's not "handed" to someone by UKC, it is based on the votes of UKC users.

So how do you want things to change? You say that you are not telling people what they should upload, but how do you want to stop images of "non-climbing" related subjects from being photo of the week?

How do you propose to stop people voting for photos they actually like?

Sean Kelly 04 Oct 2009
In reply to mulletcocktail2000: Personally, I would have accepted 'Sennen' as 'Photo of the Week' as it is probably more relevant to a climbing website. However there is a Landscape feature within the different Photographic categories, which are extremely popular and the voting obviously reflects this. We usually have a similar argument about the POTW being an Alpine image.
If truth be told to achieve a POTW you require an alpine landscape at either dawn or sunset complete with dramatic sky , with a pretty blond girl (preferably with a little bust on display), on some overhanging desperate in the near foreground. Even better if she is falling off! Now there is a challenge for someone...that would be 'photo of the week' for months!!!
 Sean Bell 04 Oct 2009
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> (In reply to mulletcocktail2000) Personally, I would have accepted 'Sennen' as 'Photo of the Week' as it is probably more relevant to a climbing website. However there is a Landscape feature within the different Photographic categories, which are extremely popular and the voting obviously reflects this. We usually have a similar argument about the POTW being an Alpine image.
> If truth be told to achieve a POTW you require an alpine landscape at either dawn or sunset complete with dramatic sky , with a pretty blond girl (preferably with a little bust on display), on some overhanging desperate in the near foreground. Even better if she is falling off! Now there is a challenge for someone...that would be 'photo of the week' for months!!!

hahaha.Spot on Sean
 ChrisJD 13 Oct 2009

You be pleased by this

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=376100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...