UKC

India

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timofy 08 Oct 2009
I'm heading off to india with a friend for about 1 month and will be flying in to Bangalore. I've heard that the bouldering in Hampi is excellent, but is there much sport or trad? Is it worth taking a rope and rack, or even just a rope and quickdraws?

JPGR 08 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra: Are sandstone routes in Badami, apparently a lot of the first bolts are missing, but ok after that.
OP timofy 08 Oct 2009
In reply to Jon Redshaw: Thanks for replying. Do you know if there are many routes? And what kind of grades there are - cos we are pretty rubbish.
 JPGR 08 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra: Don't think there is a guide so you would have to make an educated guess on what your climbing. Haven't climbed there, we just spent a week in Hampi.

If your unsure just head to Hampi, lots to do, can hire a mat from Goan Corner and amazing curries.
 Mowglee 08 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra: Email me, can give you lots of beta on badami. Can't type now cos on iPhone...
 kevin stephens 08 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra:

I've got a wrk trip to Sonepat north of New Delhi in January; is there any climbing nearby?
Vloetip 11 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra:

Does anyone have any idea how Hampi has been affected by the flood? Would it still be worth going this month?
 ghisino 14 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra:
some friends who have been to badami described it as "fontainebleau, just longer and with bolts"

sounds quite amazing, uh?

(they also said it's pretty scary as far as protection goes, despite being bolted)

i've also heard somewhere that in hampi if you really want to rope climb there is some trad potential, but can't confirm that.
 JPGR 14 Oct 2009
In reply to ghisino: Is loads of Trad potential in Hampi, saw amazing cracks, aretes and face climbs. If I went back would def take a rope, if only to top rope some of the possibilities there.
In reply to markultra: There is trad potential in Hampi, however it's spread out and would involve a lot of walking. The bouldering is endless however. If you head to Hampi this winter, I think the guide may now be available from my friend Rohit. I think he's getting it printed at the moment, but lacks money to distribute it properly. The guide includes lots of routes at Badami as well. Hampi will most likely be affected by flooding this time of year, from what I gathered while I was there, most of the guesthouses and restaurants are at least a foot under water during raining season.
OP timofy 20 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra: Thanks everyone. I'll definitely be taking a rack now. I think the rain should have stopped by the time i get there.
 eivindf 20 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra: Here is some info in Norwegian. Some good links and photos.
 Ztephan 20 Oct 2009
In reply to eivindf:
> (In reply to markultra) Here is some info in Norwegian. Some good links and photos.

Where?
I'm interested, going to India in december.
 eivindf 20 Oct 2009
In reply to Ztephan: Seems I forgot the link.. http://www.brattesider.no/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=130&topic... (prøvde forresten veggen på nordnes, ganske fint, men skittent og trenger lang tid på tørk)
 Lilifa 21 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra:

Here are a couple of links about Badami. Apparently it's well worth a visit. I've only heard praise for the climbing but mixed reviews about the town itself. Some say it's quite rough. The PDF link has quite a comprehensive topo.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Badami_India__A_New_Arapiles_929.html

http://media2.pixelpoint.at/ppm_3dak_kaerntenat/~M10/9541.3dak.pdf

As for buying ropes/draws/trad gear, I'm not sure that would be possible. I think most of the India climbers get their gear shipped from the states.

Have fun and maybe see you in Hampi in December.

Lily
 Ztephan 21 Oct 2009
In reply to eivindf:

Thanks a lot.

(Ja, hvis du er litt sterk tror jeg det er noen fine problemer, jeg er en svekling, så måtte gi tapt på en del.
Veggen trenger minst en uke med godvær på å tørke, ikke så praktisk i Bergen.
Hvis den noengang tørker igjen burde du gå tyrannosaurus flex, jeg synes den er ganske fin, men er gjerne for lett for deg.)
 haworthjim 22 Oct 2009
In reply to markultra:
I dont know how long you plan to stay in bangalore but there is fantastic climbing in and around the city. I have visited the area a couple of times and Turulli and Ramnagram on the outskirts of Bangalore are superb. As mentioned already Hampi or Badami are overnightg bus journeys from Blore. Get in touch with www.wildcraft.in and the guys there will hook you up with the local scene.
Hope this helps.
jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...