UKC

? is there such a thing as male dental hygienists?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
so why not ?
 nastyned 09 Oct 2009
In reply to google: I have a friend who's a dental hygenist. She said her course was all female. Apparently they had had male applications for the course but none were selected for it. Most of the people on the course had already been dental nurses, and you don't really see male dental nurses either.
 winhill 09 Oct 2009
In reply to google:

They mainly operate in the mail order market.
 teflonpete 09 Oct 2009
In reply to google:
Not many men feel the need in their lives to inflict pain and torture on people.
To make the most of the job you have to suffer really bad PMT and need to get your own back on society.
 Timmd 14 Oct 2009
In reply to teflonpete:Hygienists are the people who stand there with the tubes which suck away water, and hand things to the dentists and look after the dentistry implements.

Cheers
Tim
 Silum 14 Oct 2009
In reply to google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=male+dental+hygienists

Thought you might have this one by now Mr Google.
 teflonpete 14 Oct 2009
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to teflonpete)Hygienists are the people who stand there with the tubes which suck away water, and hand things to the dentists and look after the dentistry implements.
>
> Cheers
> Tim

No they're not Tim, those people with the vacuum tubes, handing things to the dentist are Dental Nurses.
Dental Hygenists operate in some dental practices as a separate entity and their job is to descale, clean and polish teeth and take action to reduce gum disease. Some dentists do this work themselves.
 toad 14 Oct 2009
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Timmd)

> Dental Hygenists operate in the dark, forgotten places of some dental practices as a separate malevolent entity, a poltergeist of gum disease, poking, grinding and scraping away in the mouths of hapless victims, all the while hectoring and patronising those unable to answer beyond "grrrpgtth?"

PS

" Of course you need to take better care of your gums, mr Toad. They can become more of a problem at your age" My Age. MY AGE?? How.....very......dare...you.
 JDDD 14 Oct 2009
In reply to teflonpete:

> Dental Hygenists operate in some dental practices as a separate entity and their job is to descale, clean and polish teeth and take action to reduce gum disease.

Good point. I suppose they are the dental equivalent of a manicurist - another rather female dominated world. How bizzare that certain professions are so male / female dominated. I would have thought the world was more diverse than that.
 teflonpete 14 Oct 2009
In reply to toad:

PMSL! Been there!
 Timmd 14 Oct 2009
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> No they're not Tim, those people with the vacuum tubes, handing things to the dentist are Dental Nurses.
> Dental Hygenists operate in some dental practices as a separate entity and their job is to descale, clean and polish teeth and take action to reduce gum disease. Some dentists do this work themselves.

Oh right, I see, and they get a chance to inflict pain I suppose. ()

I quite enjoy the vacuum tubes for some reason, don't know why.

Cheers
Tim
 teflonpete 14 Oct 2009
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
> [...]
>

> I quite enjoy the vacuum tubes for some reason, don't know why.
>
> Cheers
> Tim

You're a strange guy Tim, pleasant but strange...;0)
 Denni 14 Oct 2009
In reply to google:

There are heaps of male Dental Hygienists out there, especially in the Forces.

They do a 2 year course, which is bloody hard, then there are loads of add ons they can do to help Dentists, give LA, do temporary fillings etc.

Excellent job, and someone once took the piss out of a friend who was a Hygienist, saying it was a girls job and he must be gay.

Once he had delicately explained to him detract his comment (the Hygienist in question was an ex Para) and that he would then earn £180 a day working at a Private practice (which he does on his time off) he then put him down and nothing more said.

I was offered the opportunity years ago, didn't fancy staring into a mouth for 8 hours a day for the next 20-30 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...