UKC

Good E1s and E2s on Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 15 Oct 2009
Any recommendations?
Preferably relatively safe ones.
Am running short on my list of to dos....
 Yanis Nayu 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy: Three Pebble Slab at Froggatt. I can't remember if it's E1 or E2 though...
In reply to wayno265:

You obviously remember more than you let on.
 raptorheli 15 Oct 2009
In reply to wayno265: three pebble slab is a hvs now!!!!
 petestack 15 Oct 2009
In reply to raptorheli:

Think you've just been had!
 LakesWinter 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy: Long Tall Sally is a classic short grit route, do it if you've not, the gear's good and the moves are interesting.

I've only done 1 E2 onsight, Pot Black at stanage, the moves were good and so was the gear, do it if you like slabs and haven't already.

I also enjoyed Fringe Benefit at Rivelin and Cinturato at Stanage but they are both run out slabby climbs, so it depends on the style you are into really.
 Silum 15 Oct 2009
In reply to raptorheli:

No its not, its E1, jeeeeez.

There are quite a few good one, start on Rockfax's Top 50 and you wont go wrong. Another vote for Long Tall sally too. L'Horla and Insanity too.
 jas wood 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:charming crack at brimham and also while there do black chipper- red tape- and frensis direct for a cracking day at the office :O)
 London Luke 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:
can think of a few although you might of done them

ratbag - frogatt e2 5b-awesome route but bold
Tower face direct - stanage- e2 5b, well protected
Auricle E2 5c Bamford- very well protected crux is bomber
Millsons Minion Stage e1 5b- hard but well protected
Mississippi buttress direct variant e1 5b- awesome route.
Pot Black e2 5b- gears not bad, but you need a pretty decent belayer as youa aren't far of decking out, defiantly can't have to much slack out !

Hope this helps !

Luke
 stayfreejc 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy: How about Easter rib at stanage. E1 5b. It's run out but pretty steady with two good rests.
In reply to Frankie boy:

Why, why, why this obsession with Eastern Grit? If you live in Sheffield, OK, but surely you still have a huge urge to have some of your greatest (new) leading experiences on big mountain crags of Rhyolite??
 Rich Guest 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

Some good E1's at Agden Rocher you might not have come across?
OP Frankie boy 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Simple reason - I cant drive there within 5 minutes of where I live.
Lend me your helicopter or private jet and I might just pop up to some of your rhyolite mountain routes for the odd afternoon now and again.
In reply to Frankie boy:

Sure. I've never had those facilities either. One big difference between now and the sixties was that then you could hitch hike. A whole forgotten culture, sadly.
In reply to Frankie boy:

PS. We never went to the mountains for 'the odd afternoon'. Such a concept is all part of our modern consumerist decadence.
 lowersharpnose 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

At Stanage Plantation & Popular, this lot are good:
Living At The Speed
Pot Black
Milsom's Minion
Left Unconquerable
Punklet
The Link
Dark Continent
Mississippi Variant Direct
Morrison's Redoubt
Kirkus' Corner
Flying Buttress Direct
The Tippler
Removed User 15 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

Some lesser known classics in the North West Peak...

Ocean Wall - Standing Stones

Ricochet Wall - Shooters Nab
 Silum 15 Oct 2009
> (In reply to Frankie boy)
>
> Why, why, why this obsession with Eastern Grit? If you live in Sheffield, OK, but surely you still have a huge urge to have some of your greatest (new) leading experiences on big mountain crags of Rhyolite??

Blah, he asks for grit, you get grit.

You live near sheffield, you get grit. Seriously, what is with the endless need for these people to come on here and bash anything grit centric solely because they can't get close to it?

Gordon may be kidding, but the endless posts on this board speak of a breed of climber who is clearly very envious of the 'grit' climber. The 'whats he ever done on grit?' tagline has clearly twisted some people the wrong way. I'll continue to enjoy my ultra classics so close to home, grit or lime.
 Si dH 16 Oct 2009
> (In reply to Frankie boy)
>
> PS. We never went to the mountains for 'the odd afternoon'. Such a concept is all part of our modern consumerist decadence.

Don't be ridiculous Gordon, its nothing to do with consumerist decadence, its about taking the chance to go out for a climb at every opportunity, eg after work or when youve got other thigns you need to do in a day. It doesnt mean you cant take weekends away at other times as well when the time is available. If Frankie Boy livs 5 minutes from the crag, then Im sure his equivalent 30 years ago would have gone there for an afternoon often himself too.
 lummox 16 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy: Earl Buttress, Black Chipper, Frensis Direct, Scar, Maria, Pillar Front.
 Hat Dude 16 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

Moyer's Buttress on Gardoms has got to be one of the best E1's

Quite bold on the top bit though
 victorclimber 16 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy: Question of Balance at Simons Seat,if it was closer to a road there would be queues on it.
 madmats 16 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

The Rasp
Five finger exercise
Fern Hill
Flying buttress direct
Count's buttress
Long tall sally
Embankment route 4
Knightsbridge
L'horla
Moyer's buttress
The big crack
Brown's eliminate
Suspense

All these are fantastic and there are many more....
 madmats 16 Oct 2009
In reply to Frankie boy:

Regent street
Wuthering
The link
Dark continent
Kelly's overhang

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...