UKC

NEWS: Wheelchair User Abandoned on Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Oct 2009
[Helicopter support for the rescue team, 3 kb]Fifteen volunteers from the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team were once again on the flanks of Snowdon this weekend. A group of six martial arts enthusiasts had attempted to push a 31-year-old man up the main track to the summit of Snowdon, but found the going too tough.

They decided to leave the man behind and continue to the summit. On their return they discovered they were too tired to push him back down and phoned for assistance...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=49875
 johnnorman 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

They should definately be invoiced for this one!
 jon 19 Oct 2009
In reply to johnnorman:

Don't know if invoiced is the right word these bozos.
 ChrisHolloway1 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: Doesn't really get any stupider than this to be honest
 Ian McNeill 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

someone else stared this thread earlier today ....

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=377117

similar sentiments expressed there ....
 Ian McNeill 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

having read Mark Reeves blog and the article ...

the disabled person must have consented to this be a member of the team for this activity and has to be held equally responsible as a member of the party ?

If not were they gagged and unable to give consent ???
 mr mills 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

What a bunch of tossers....
 johnnorman 19 Oct 2009
In reply to mr mills:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> What a bunch of tossers....

Maybe they should stick to their padded throw mats and wrap each other up in their coloured belts. Ooo i`ve got a pink one, what colours yours? Stay of the hills Morons!
 mlt 19 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Weak. Real weak.
 Simon Preuss 19 Oct 2009
you'd expect a group of remotely serious martial artists would be reasonably physically fit, but to be unable to push the wheelchair between a group of them them.. or was it an entirely over 60s beginner tai-chi class?
 Ben HW 20 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: This is the problem with making the hills so accessible, you get one nice day and then they get covered in complete morons. It's still a mountain people, treat it with the respect it deserves! I'm a little annoyed at the lack or respect for the mountain rescue, these guys do a brilliant job and things like this are totally avoidable with some common sense. And I agree, post the bill to them, someone should stump up!
 Neil Pratt 20 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

I Particularly liked the "debriefed in an assertive manner" - given some of the MRT folks I've encountered over the years, I'm not sure that's an experience I'd want to replicate any time soon
 Diggler 20 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Bunch of F**k wits . Bill them or send them back to pick up the litter that they and other chavs like them drop randomly around the more popular trails!
 tonanf 20 Oct 2009
In reply to johnnorman: do you mean 'off' the hills?
 timmy-ts 21 Oct 2009
In reply to Simon Preuss: Having been part of a team of 12 who took a disabled wheelchair bound gentleman to the summit of Snowdon and down from Pen y Pass to Llanberis, for charity in around 2000, I can vouch for the shear graft involved in doing this. We were MRT, having been roped in by our Team Leader to assist and ended up doing all the graft.
The fact they abandoned the wheelchair user is the amazing fact, not the lack of fitness.
What is the issue here is the total seflish attitude of individuals who pushed on to summit, then expecting the MRT and SAR assests to recover their friend in the wheel chair, rather than attempting to descend haveing failed to reach the summit on their own steam.
Llanberis team would do well to remind these guys to raise a substantial amount of sponsership for the LMRT team, as they all ways need more dosh.
 ChrisHolloway1 21 Oct 2009
In reply to timmy-ts: seconded, thats was makes this such a dumb thing, even if the person in the wheel chair said it was ok, I can't understand why they would continue on to summit and just leave the guy there.
 bryn 21 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

As always Mark's BLOG makes for great reading!

http://lifeinthevertical.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-bunch-of-ws.html

johnnorman 21 Oct 2009
In reply to timmy-ts:
>
> The fact they abandoned the wheelchair user is the amazing fact, not the lack of fitness.
> What is the issue here is the total seflish attitude of individuals who pushed on to summit, then expecting the MRT and SAR assests to recover their friend in the wheel chair, rather than attempting to descend haveing failed to reach the summit on their own steam.
> Llanberis team would do well to remind these guys to raise a substantial amount of sponsership for the LMRT team, as they all ways need more dosh.

Well said, but better still would be to hold them responsible for the whole cost. On reaching the point where they realised that getting to the summit with the wheelchair was a no go, they should have all turned back and gone down. What on earth where they thinking!?

IDIOTS.
 Andy S 22 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News: shocking
 Andy S 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Andy S: One of the guys who went up with the disabled man has cleared up any misunderstandings:

"just to put the record straight i was part of the group that went up the moutatain with the disabled man if any one is to blame it is him.i advised him to phone up for information on weather or not it would be possible and safe enough to attempt to go up snowdon he said he phoned and said it was more than possible which was a lie he also said that he had previosly gone half way up snowdon before and took the train for the remainder of the journey another lie i take my hat off to the guys that attempted to take him up for his own selfish reasons ie attention.he was never at any point left on his own other martial artists which were discending down the mountain offered to take him down the mountain as the guys physically could not carry him any further and before you pass comment you try and carry 10 stone of dead weight up a mountain the mountain rescue refused to rescue him and the lies they have told about him being left on his own for 3 hours are total rubbish it was his idea to go in the first place so blame him i told him it would not be possible but he said he wanted to carry on"

My favourite bit is when he says the guy 'phoned up' to check if it was safe and possible for him to get up the mountain and 'they' said yes. Phoned who?

Please don't tell me it was a tourist information line!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

My guess is that they got part way and the disabled man probably thought he'd be ok and he could have been the one to urge the rest to carry-on. It may not have been some gung-ho attitude as has been speculated. However, this guy sounds a tool or two short of a toolbox, so I can't imagine they were the best problem-solvers.

While they were up there, another group came down, found the guy cold, offered assistance, couldn't carry him and then called MR.

Just one big farce basically. Another case of underestimating the mountain environment. At this time of year it's positively baltic at those heights. Not the place to get stuck.
 Paz 22 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Puts you in mind of an episode of The Office. Thankfully it all ended safely.
 Paz 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Paz:

I've just read what Andy S wrote.

Apart from him being a genuine wheel chair user this is actually more like Little Britain.
 Tyler 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Andy S:

> "just to put the record straight i was part of the group that went up the moutatain with the disabled man if any one is to blame it is him."

Well he's certainly put the record striaight. If there was anyone who was still not sure whether or not this group was a bunch of tossers, they will be after reading that.
 GrahamD 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Tyler:

It just shows that there are many different sorts of disability.
 Nic 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Andy S:

> One of the guys who went up with the disabled man has cleared up any misunderstandings:

"just to put the record straight..."

Shouldn't that have been preceded by "yeah but no but yeah but..." ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...