UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Antalya

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Oct 2009
[Ash fighting his way up a sweaty Turkish tufa., 2 kb]With its warm winter climate and perfect limestone, Turkey is becoming the holiday
destination of choice for the rain-washed European climber.

UKClimbing.com's Editor, Jack Geldard provides an update on this limestone paradise...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=134
 Simon Caldwell 20 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:
"Low cost flights to Antalya airport are easy to find on the web."

OK, I'm stupid, and can't find any. Can I have a clue?
 Jack Geldard 20 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador: Hi.

I have just updated this article a bit and made it hopefully more usable.

You might need to refresh or even force refresh your page.

There is now some flight links for you. You can also try Google: type "flights Antalya" and you should get some results.

Thanks,

Jack
 jas wood 20 Oct 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
rumours of a place close by for dws ?
any ideas where ? looks like the guy on guide book cover is doing a spot of it - bless him.

hukerjohn 21 Oct 2009
Hello,

Yes there is deep water soloing in the area... The other main crag called olympos has people who run DWS trips along the coastline which are excellent and if you can get your hands on a boat there is plenty to explore. Olympos itself is a cracking venue with hundreds of routes within 5 minutes of the main road. The guidebook wouldn't of been possible without the sponsorship from Kadirs Treehouses in Olympos.
 Si dH 21 Oct 2009
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> "Low cost flights to Antalya airport are easy to find on the web."
>
> OK, I'm stupid, and can't find any. Can I have a clue?

I went to Antalya 2 years ago (not climbing) and the cheapest way was to fly Easyjet to Istanbul (Sabiha Gurkcen airport) then fly domestic from there to Antalya. If you go direct from the UK to Antalya I dont think youll find a budget airline (unless thyeve started doing it in the last 2 years).
 AJM 21 Oct 2009
In reply to Si dH:

Thomas Cook & BA do it direct. Don't know how cheap yours were to compare mind you. Vague recollection says ours were about £200 each, but I can't really recall. We used skyscanner etc to look at flight options.

AJM
 Si dH 22 Oct 2009
In reply to AJM: It was £100 return to Istanbul, about £60 return from there to Antalya I think. Cant remember what the turkish airline was though. To be fair £40 extra isnt much - but its certainly a much more expensive flight than eg Alicante.
You might get Easyjet to Istanbul cheaper at some times of year, not sure. We were there in October.
 Si dH 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Si dH: Oh, I would add, if you can go direct for £40 then do it - getting between the two Istanbul airports is a bit of a nightmare, although yo do get to see Istanbul, which is a v impressive city if youre in to that sort of thing.
 Alan Rubin 26 Oct 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: I'm a bit disappointed by the new update. As far as accommodations, etc, it reads a bit too much like an ad for Jo-Si-To. I'm not putting down Jo-Si-To at all, it's a fine place to stay, but the alternative The Climber's Garden, has it's own advantages--better for self-catering, cheaper, more convenient to the main sectors, and deserves equal billing---their contact info(www.climbersgarden.com) isn't even included.One related inaccuracy is the statement that food/meals can be purchased at the camping areas. You can purchase meals at Jo-Si-To, but not at Climber's Garden(though they provide bread in the morning). I also think the article should have noted that shady sectors are quite limited, and that months (such as Oct. and April) that are fine in Kalymnos, are still quite hot for most of the sectors at Geyik. Alan Rubin
 Jack Geldard 26 Oct 2009
In reply to Alan Rubin: Hi Alan,

Did you read the whole article? There is a link to the Climbers' Garden:

It is copied below.

Most visiting climbers prefer to stay in the village of Geyibayiri itself and a few different options are available here. The JoSiTo campground offers many types of accommodation from low cost camping, private bungalows through to a luxury chalet. It also has the added bonus of being a stones throw from the climbing.

Another campground in the area is the Climbers Garden which also offers some bungalow accommodation.

Guesthouse accommodation options are slightly more limited, however trebenna.com and rasayana.com.tr are both located in the village and offer peaceful and good value rooms.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...