UKC

Dolomites Via Ferrata Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackpoolrock 20 Oct 2009
Thinking of doing some Via Ferrata next year in the Dolomites.

Never done it before but the oraganised trips with Exodus etc.. cost far too much.

I assume you can do it on your own as long as you stick to the easy routes first?

In the UK I'm usually happy leading up to severe grade.

Any advice on the best place to base myself and maybe add a summit or two would be great.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 20 Oct 2009
In reply to blackpoolrock:

Marmolada west ridge is a good one, 4C, only thing is requires glacier work.

The one near San Martino was also fabulous with a brilliant summit option.

I think most people go to Cortina though.
OP blackpoolrock 21 Oct 2009
In reply to ligemidio:

Cortina, thanks for the advice.
 cathsullivan 21 Oct 2009

Somewhere round Corvara would be good - I've stayed in Arraba and Pedraces and there are a lot of good via ferratas in easy reach from both those places. The Cicerone guidebooks are very useful (volume 1, I think, for round there) and I would think that you'd be happy on any of the via ferratas if you're leading up to severe.
 beardy mike 21 Oct 2009
In reply to blackpoolrock: Don't just go to Cortina - you would be missing out! While you're there, Punta Fiammes is great, The Ivano Dibona is interesting from an historical point of view and the line up to Tofana di Mezzo is stunning. Over in Corvara, the Tridentina Brigantia ( or what ever it's called - I can never remember!) is excellent as it has a bridge over a huge chasm! Then on the other side of the sella there is the Possnecker which is one of the best VF's I've done - exposed, long and necky!. And it takes you right to the top of the Sella Plateau. Down in Val Gardena there is an excellent but hard 600m VF in Langental, which most likely is not in any of the books you buy as it was only put in about 6-7 years ago, but again it is one of the best I've been on. Finally there is the one over the Dentro di Diablo in the Rosengarten which is also great, maybe not quite in the same class but still awesome... As for going yourself - yes it is more than possible. Make sure you use a kit, which you can rent out there if you want, as the consequences if you get it all wrong are serious. Also READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - you'd be amazed how many people have obviously never read how their particular kit is meant to work, and they never believe you when you tell them. Other than that, always carry a waterproof jacket as afternoon storms are the order of the day. They are usually short and sharp and can be weathered out, but don't get caught short. Take water with you as streams and springs are basically non existent and the huts will charge you because theirs has to be choppered in. There are also routes which you can link many of them together which can be stunning, staying at huts along the way. Huts cost circa 40-50euro a night half board but can provide some excellent food and drink and are generally far more comfortable than French offerings. And don't forget your camera.
 tallsteve 21 Oct 2009

Just do it!

Get the guidebooks (money well spent) and take yerself off. The British have a bit of a mountaineering DIY tradition you need to keep up anyway...
 Dave Searle 21 Oct 2009
In reply to blackpoolrock: have you had a look at collets mountain holidays? they provide accomodation and run complementary days out on local Via Ferratas. Depends what your accomadation plans are but if you were thinking of going self catered then this might be a good idea. You can meet other people in a similar situation to yourself and get free helpfull advice about the local routes, also signing up to organised days out mean that you can share transport costs to the via ferratas. I did six weeks work fro them this summer season and i thought it was run very well. I'll be out there for the whole of next summer too, hopefully. Good luck on your quest. (corvara is a good place to be based by the way)
 Brixpoul 21 Oct 2009
The Brenta Dolomites is a blast and there's something to suit everyone.
Day trips or multiday hut to hut trips.

Guidebook: Cicerone - Via Ferratas of the Italian Dolomites Vol 2 is well worth it and Madonna Di Campiglio is a very nice base to relax before and/or after a few days in the hills.

I took Ryanair to Brescia and a bus to Madonna but will get a hire car next time as the flight & bus times didn't match so wasted a night in each end of my trip in Brescia

http://www.campiglio.to/default_winter.jsp?ID_LINK=195&area=39

http://www.needlesports.com/advice/viaferrata.htm
 nastyned 21 Oct 2009
In reply to blackpoolrock: There's an article on tihs site that might help:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=86
OP blackpoolrock 21 Oct 2009
To all, brilliant advice, fantastic, thanks!
OP blackpoolrock 22 Oct 2009
In reply to Dave Searle:

I've ordered a Colletts brochure to get more info, thanks.

With Colletts do you just book your accommodation with them and choose which Via Ferratas to go on with their guides?

For Corvara which airport would you recommend to fly into?
 Ian_Whitfield 22 Oct 2009
In reply to mike kann:

I agree with punta fiammes. My first VF was on there and it was fantastic. I got out of the car beneath the route and stood open mouthed at the sheer scale of it. But it's a real good intro to VF.
 Andy Hudson 22 Oct 2009
> (In reply to Dave Searle)
>
> I've ordered a Colletts brochure to get more info, thanks.
>
> With Colletts do you just book your accommodation with them and choose which Via Ferratas to go on with their guides?
>

We booked accommodation with them and intended to do one of their guided VF's first then the rest on our own, but it was obvious from the get together it could take an awfully long time to do the routes in a group so we just headed off with our Cicerone guide and it was easy. The accommodation we booked was good.

> For Corvara which airport would you recommend to fly into?
We stayed in Arabba not too far from Corvara and flew to Venice, it was 3-4 hour drive if i recall correctly including a supermarket stop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...