UKC

Best mapping software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks,

Toying with the idea of getting some maps on the PC so that I can print out just the sections I need and perhaps do a bit of planning. Anybody got any recommendations or No-Nos?

Steve
chrelen 31 Oct 2009
In reply to Different Steve: Just done a review of the major brands (Quo, Tracklogs, Anquet and Memorymap. I looked at ease of use of the software and ability to download to a mobile as well as GPS. Finally I looked at the price for downloading map sections (either tiles or small sections of map that cover areas I want.

Tracklogs were a no no as they don't do downloads to mobiles and the cost was the highest. Quo were really cheap and the software was ok on the mobile but a little confusing on the PC. Anquet were ok too but worked out a little expensive for the maps I wanted. I chose memory map and have been happy since-doubly so since I saw that they have just brought out a mapping GPS at a very reasonable price which comes with all the national parks maps installed as part of the price!
 ebygomm 31 Oct 2009
In reply to Different Steve:

Do you really need software?

I've got memory map, which is great, but sites like where's the path do so much now that I'm not sure it's worth the outlay any longer

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
 imkevinmc 31 Oct 2009
In reply to Different Steve: Depends what areas you want. My favourite is the 1:50 Anquet National Parks - less then £20 and covers the areas I frequent
In reply to ebygomm:

Thanks, what a great site - someone's worked hard at that. With 1:25000 maps it'd be even better.
 HATTSTER 31 Oct 2009
In reply to Different Steve: ive got memory map and i love it...the 3d fly throughs worth getting it for...realy gives me the perspective when i go for a walk in the lakes..also helps me find the crags when i go climbing, just plot the routes send to gps and bobs your mothers brother!!!
 patj 01 Nov 2009
In reply to Different Steve: you could have a look at mapwise by isys outdoors. it has a similar range of features as multimap and you can get 1:25000 tiles. the software is a little clunky though, but it is about half the price - works well enough for me at the moment.
 newhey 01 Nov 2009

The best PC maps are the free ones, search and you will find

Glyno 01 Nov 2009
In reply to HATTSTER:
> (In reply to Different Steve) ive got memory map and i love it...the 3d fly throughs worth getting it for...realy gives me the perspective when i go for a walk in the lakes..also helps me find the crags when i go climbing, just plot the routes send to gps and bobs your mothers brother!!!

another vote for Memory Map

threepeaks 01 Nov 2009
In reply to Different Steve: I've been very impressed with these guys:

http://www.mapyx.com/

Software is fine once you get used to it and it's very reasonable to update your maps by downloading tiles as and when you need them. Tranfers very well to my Etrex and the waypoints work well with the Garmin Mapsource software. Dave S
 csdf 02 Nov 2009
You can get free maps from OpenStreetMap that will go into your Garmin. Have a look here, for instance: http://www.osm4you.com/
or here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

The great thing about OpenStreetMap is you can add to it - trails, approaches, crags...it can all be added.
 Climber_Bill 02 Nov 2009

If you want to produce your own map for specific areas the most cost effective way to do this is;

a) download an open source GIS (Geographical Information System) programme such as QGIS, OpenJump or MapWindow. These are fairly easy to use and free. Available for an operating system of your choice.

b) purchase some OS digital raster mapping,and / or height, data from one of the online stores e.g www.geostore.com. This lets you choose just the area you want. Don't buy direct from ordnance survey as they are more expensive. Make sure you get the world file(s) with your data. The world file georeferences the raster mapping in your GIS.

c) load the data into your GIS and away you go.

A bit of a learning curve, but not much more than using any of the commercial offerings such as Anquet Mapping.They are doing exactly the same thing, but then wrapping up the functionality and maps in their own code and proprietary software.

I'd recommned QGIS as it is the most mature of the open source GIS, in my opinion.

Have a play and get in touch if you need any advice.

Regards,

Rich.
 Climber_Bill 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Richard White:

Someone mentioned OpenStreet. QGIS can load OpenStreet, OpenAdress xml files and Open Aerial maps.

Rich.
 jfmchivall 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Richard White:

I wish I'd known about QGIS and geostore a year ago, before I got locked into a proprietary single-platform digital mapping system. I won't say which one, except to say that it's written in .NET and breaks frequently, usually when I needed to print a map yesterday. Very frustrating seeing "Error in frmMyData.MyEventHandler function" instead of the expensive map data that my hard earned has gone on. Luckily this particular proprietary service lets you re-download the maps you have bought, useful when you have to reinstall XP because their shitty app is unfixable any other way.
 Jack 02 Nov 2009
In reply to Richard White: Hope you dont mind me taking you up on your offer of help - here goes:-

Well, you said it was a steep learning curve - im stuck at the first step.

I have downloaded qgis but cant find any data to put into it apart from really expensive stuff (£1000's). Cant find anything on geostore home use section other than aerial photos.

Ideally, i would like the lakes at 1:25000. - Any ideas where to get the data?

Thanks for any pointers,

jack
In reply to ebygomm:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

I keep plugging my colleague's site whenever possible. It's fantastic.

If you use the 'print route' option, it prints out nice, neat map sections, with any notes you've added, and all sorts of route leg data.

Once you saved the route as a GPX, you can do fly-throughs in GoogleEarth.

Well worth a good play with it before you think of buying any mapping software.
 Climber_Bill 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Jack:

Hi Jack,

Once you are in Geostore, click the word "area" in the OS mapping part about half way down the page.

In the next page, choose your area by postcode, grid ref or street and town.

In the next page, choose "digital file" option and then click next.

The next page allows you to choose what type of data you want with a radio buton from a list and then zoom to the area you want.

To change the area you want, select the radio button "Specify area size" and then click on the map / aerial photo of the top left and bottom right of the area wanted.

Add to basket and then choose your format and delivery type on the next page.

I have to admit, it's not the most straightforward interface. I'll have a chat with the developers to try and get it improved.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Rich.
 Jack 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Richard White: Hi Rich, Thanks for the reply. Followed your (v. helpfull) instructions and selected the skidaw / blencanthra group using the tl / br options. The price for os 25k came out as £60 and the height data (5m) as £742.

Am i still doing something wrong? Mem map for the whole lakes 1:25k is about £100. would i be better off getting that?

This GIS thing looks interesting, but may be beyond me.

Thanks again for you help,

Jack
 stevefromstoke 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Different Steve: My mate got most of the OS maps for free , id tell you where from but id get a [I]torrent[/I] of abuse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...