UKC

Ecrins ice guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mynyddresident 03 Nov 2009
Hello, thinking of a trip to the Ecrin this winter but am a bit confused by what guides are currently available for valley ice? I know the Alpine club guide to the Mountain routes has a small section but is there a single guide that covers Fresinieres, Fournel..etc

Cheers
Nic
 Toby_W 03 Nov 2009
In reply to mynyddresident: There is, I'll post again when I've got home and checked the bookshelf.

Cheers

Toby
 smithaldo 03 Nov 2009
In reply to Toby_W:

it's a purple one called glace et mixte en cascade, brianconnais etc etc etc.

Dont know where stocks it. I bought the old edition many moons ago.

http://www.ice-fall.com/Page_Composite.aspx?IdPage=17#GLACE%20ET%20MIXTE%20...
Cheers for that,now where do i get one! Probably in the Ecrin i guess?
 Dave Williams 03 Nov 2009
In reply to mynyddresident:
> Cheers for that,now where do i get one! Probably in the Ecrin i guess?

Hmm ... perhaps, but I've not seen the 2005 edition for sale in any of the shops in the area for a couple of years now. Is it out of print perhaps? There may be a new edition in the offing, but I've no idea how you'd find out.
 TonyM 03 Nov 2009
The one in smithaldo's link is the definitive g/book that I've used. Not sure about purple - early edition? - but current one is grey with a yellow spine stripe as per picture.
In addition to AC Ecrins guide, there's some coverage - very selective, but to get you to some other nearby areas - in Mario Sertori's Alpine Ice. Using that with the info on ice-fall.com would be an acceptable solution if you couldn't get the proper guide.
Thanks for the info guys, I'll see if i can aquire one . Cheers
Nic
 Toby_W 04 Nov 2009

Mmmm both my copies seem to be in the atic with my ice gear but they are the mentioned above. The ice fall site has lots of details on and we bought them in the gear shop in Briancon.

Cheers

Toby
 loxley 04 Nov 2009
In reply to mynyddresident: you can buy it from alpimat and twinner in briancon.
as far as i know the most recent addition is the 2005
Spray 05 Nov 2009

The two latest books, Glace et mixte en cascade, Brianconnais - Argentierois - Embrunais, 2005 edition. This is Briancon and south in simple terms. Fine, Turin

Cascades, Oisans aux vall'ees, second edition, this covers La Grave and down in direction of Grenoble. Perroux, Damilano
 Phil Tucker 05 Nov 2009
In reply to mynyddresident: I ordered a copy from here http://www.librerialamontagna.it/ about 3 years ago when we went there.

Phil
Spray 05 Nov 2009
In reply to E9 Temp:

You can buy them in most Tabacs and bookstores.
Spray 06 Nov 2009

Hiked up to the bottom of the North Face of Tete De Saint Margguerit to day and conditions looked possible but THIN. Start at appx 1900m and the routes are about 600 to 800 meters. Looks like nice Scottish mixed.

Page 28 Glace et mixte en cascade, Brianconnais - Argentierois - Embrunais, 2005 edition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...