UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Grit Flick Grit Quiz....Ten Prizes... £600!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Nov 2009
[Grit Flick Packing Prizes 320, 3 kb]Ten Gritstone goody bags are up for grabs in this UKClimbing.com competition, Grit Flick Grit Quiz.

Prizes are from Posing Productions, Marmot, DMM and Rockfax guidebooks. PLUS watch an exclusive clip of Lucy Creamer from the new DVD Grit Flick from Alastair Lee.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50263

kareylarey 10 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Is it just me or does the video only work up until about 4 mins then just buffers for ages and never works? Tried it on 3 different computers now, one was in a different house to the others and it still does exactly the same thing!
The_JT 10 Nov 2009
In reply to kareylarey:

Same problem
 Dan Lane 10 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Same here aswell.
 Chris the Tall 10 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Can't even get as far as 4 seconds !

How about a download option ?
 Mattyk 10 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Me too - And video has a typo. "taken form Grit Flick" at 4 mins. classic typo!
 Chris the Tall 10 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
OK, tried again and got to the 4 minute mark

Looks like thats the end of the clip (have to say not particularly great) so I guess there's just a problem with the fact that the web page thinks there's more, but there isn't.
In reply to UKC News:

The clip is only 4 minutes. It looks like the file Al supplied us with is a clipped Quicktime file. There is some strange bug with them that makes the clip think it is as long as it was before clipping, despite the fact that it isn't. I can solve this by recropping it, but it will be a while before I can do that.

Alan
 kareylarey 10 Nov 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Ah ok, cool. Liked the talking about headpointing in the clip, that's how I felt on my first few headpoints.

Cheers,

Kieran
 d8vehinton 11 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Think this clip perfectly shows where gritstone climbing is for some climbers.

Take a 'celeb' climber who can't be bothered to learn to progress through the grades, so instead tries to headpoint a 'big' number.

Hopefully the other clips will be more aspiring.

thommi 11 Nov 2009
In reply to d888 whatever your name is: 'Celeb' climber Lucy Creamer is not only one of the best female climbing talents from the Uk but also a very nice personwho, if you knew anything, has put in the hard to work to get to wear shes climbing at. You my friend are wrong, and a bit of a nob. Sort your facts out.
surely this is just a video of someone "leading" a route. like we all used to do.
 Michael Ryan 11 Nov 2009
In reply to d8vehinton:

The Gritstone Myth Deconstructed – Grit Flick

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2241
 d8vehinton 11 Nov 2009
In reply to thommi:

I'm sure Lucy is a 'nice' person and is without argument a very good female climber.

However if you deliberatley choose to self-promote your achievements and place yourself in the media then criticism may come.

'Hard Grit' showcased perfectly what is achievable by headpointing.

Do we need to see a watered down version??

Serpico 11 Nov 2009
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> surely this is just a video of someone "leading" a route. like we all used to do.

Is it? Didn't realise we all used to lead E7/8.
Serpico 11 Nov 2009
In reply to d8vehinton:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>

>
> Take a 'celeb' climber who can't be bothered to learn to progress through the grades, so instead tries to headpoint a 'big' number.
>

She's onsighted E7 so headpointing an E7/8 doesn't seem unreasonable.
You need to do a bit of research before posting rubbish.

Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2009
In reply to d8vehinton:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Think this clip perfectly shows where gritstone climbing is for some climbers.
>
> Take a 'celeb' climber who can't be bothered to learn to progress through the grades, so instead tries to headpoint a 'big' number.
>
> Hopefully the other clips will be more aspiring.

I agree with you that it's a very bland, uninispiring clip, though there is something to be said for the honsesty of showing the whole process rather than just the final, well rehearsed ascent.

But it's not as tedious as anonymous posters taking pathetic pot shots at people

whistler 11 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
Terribly boring clip i have to say. I don't care if its grit sandstone or basalt. Still boring and uninspiring.
 andybenham 12 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Wow. I am surprised by the sentiments expressed here. Apart from the obvious "headpointing is evil" trolls that is.

I thought the clip was quite good. When Lucy is about to commit and has her head against the rock, trying to pyche up, I found that quite tense. I wanted to see the rest.

Of course I am ever so slightly in love with Lucy Creamer so that might have something to do with it (Gareth, if you are reading this, don't tell the missus)
Grit Flick comp is now over. I am just sorting out the winners.

Some great entries in there.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...