UKC

NEWS: Tomaz Humar Found Dead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Nov 2009
[Tomaz Humar Found Dead 320, 3 kb]Slovenian Alpinist Tomaz Humar has been found dead high on Langtang Lirung's South Face in Nepal.

Tomaz Humar, a father of two, was one of the most successful super-alpinists of recent years with a number of difficult and dangerous solo ascents to his name.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=50359

Scarab 14 Nov 2009
May he rest in Peace. Condolences..
 Ewan Russell 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
my thoughts go to his family.
 Henry Iddon 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

terrible news, he was a complex character but very friendly and warm when I met him, and an incredibly hard alpinist.
 omerta 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Tragic. Rest in peace and love, thoughts and prayers with his family
 Peter Rhodes 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Truly This is really saddening, our thoughts are with his family and friends.

It's been a tough year, lots of great guys are no longer with us, sucks.
 redsulike 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Very sad. From the tone of the article there may be some criticism of the bureaucracy of the authorities that delayed his rescue.
In reply to UKC News:

incredibly sad news made only worse by the stories of the troubles with the Nepalese authorities.
 ERU 14 Nov 2009
oh shit!
 Ensô 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

i actually cannot beleive it, he's the guy i wouldve put my money on living forever
 Katie86 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Sad News; I sobering thought about travelling in remote places. Issues with the whole authorities beauracray (sp?) make this sadder.
May he R.I.P.
 Blue Straggler 14 Nov 2009
In reply to redsulike:

I thought the article and the quotes therein were very restrained and careful not to start pointing the finger - seems like it was a "one of those things" kind of situations, that they were probably aware could arise. Either that, or they just don't want to stir.

Very sad news anyway and unfortunate circumstances/restrictions.
 rusty_nails 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Deep sympathy to Tomaz's family anf close friends. He will be sorely missed.

I saw him last year at the Dundee Mountain Film Festival on a recommendation from a friend.

I was initially not all that bothered, but his sheer energy an enthusiasm during the presentation was inspiring.

Truly a man who lived many lifetimes in a short time period!!!
Eban 14 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: shocked, my thoughts and prayers are for his children and family, i have just recently finnished reading his new book, in fact i am lost for words.
 lynx3555 15 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Very sad.....another addition to the climbers Valhalla.
 Martin 15 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
My Deepest condolances to his family, a true inspiration to my climbing such a shame that he had to suffer the Political crap that goes on in different places.
In reply to UKC News:
What truly sad news. A true loss to the mountaineering community, but a tragedy for his family. The beaurocratic complications must add a further agonising twist for them - that horrible 'what if..'My thoughts are with them. R.I.P. Tomaz
ollie211 16 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: very sad news, will be missed. controversial yet outstanding man RIP
 Al Evans 16 Nov 2009
fxceltic 16 Nov 2009
In reply to Catherine Speakman:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> What truly sad news. A true loss to the mountaineering community, but a tragedy for his family. The beaurocratic complications must add a further agonising twist for them - that horrible 'what if..'My thoughts are with them. R.I.P. Tomaz

It appears to be true that there were some bureaucratic issues getting a permit to attempt a chopper rescue, but given that there was no contact from tuesday on from Tomaz, I suspect it wouldnt have made any difference in this case.
Very sad.
 JasonLee 16 Nov 2009
Very sad news. A great loss to the climbing community. R.I.P
 Garbh Coire 16 Nov 2009
In reply to JasonLee: RIP Tomaz, a privilege to have met you last year.
 Tom Hutton 16 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News: Deeply shocking. Barely took it in the first time I read it.
ice.solo 17 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

sad. always possible, but still sad.

simon anthamatten is one of ueli stecks climbing buddies. remarkable events get remarkable people doing remarkable things.
 francoisecall 19 Nov 2009
In reply to ice.solo: He was also awarded the Alpine Club "Spirit of Mountaineering" commendation last year for his participation to the rescue of Inaki Ochoa on Anapurna (along with 5 other alpinists).
 GrahamD 19 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Very good obitury in yesterday's Independent
 dave1 21 Nov 2009
In reply to UKC News:
What a terrible tragedy. Another brilliant climber gone, leaving a no-doubt devastated wife and two children, not to mention his parents and wider family and friends who will have to continue without him. Am I alone in thinking that this is a terrible waste of a good man who might well have survived if he had not been climbing alone?
When I started climbing many years ago, my recollection is that generally, soloing was frowned upon. The cost, to those who would naturally feel obliged to be involved in a rescue, and to the survivors if a fatality occurred, was thought to be too high. After many years out of the climbing scene, when I returned 10 years ago, I was surprised to see that attitudes to soloing had changed and it was now not only acceptable but praised and admired. Is not Tomaz Humar's death an inevitable outcome of this attitude? Or am I just hopelessly old-fashioned?
 fishy1 21 Nov 2009
In reply to dave1: I think you have interesting points, but they probably belong in a new thread.
tradmania 21 Nov 2009
In reply to dave1:

>Is not Tomaz Humar's death an inevitable outcome of this attitude?

In the obituaries in the national press it was reported that many of the worlds top alpinists had said this years ago.

adnix 23 Nov 2009
In reply to tradmania:

The Anthamattens have posted detailed info on the rescue mission with pictures of where Tomaz was found.
http://www.anthamattens.ch/rescue_mission_langtang__lirung,_nov__2009.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...