UKC

Computer Screen Not Working

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
Switched on this morning and nothing at all on the screen - just black as if no power - but the power indicator is on.

I've checked all the connections but no go. Can anyone advise please? I've also noticed that my router has the "Wired Network" light showing even with the pc switched off(but with the router on) Normally only the "Internet"; "DSL"; and "Power" lights come on until I switch the pc on.
 halfaseesaw 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: unplug monitor from pc and see if you get the no signal warning. Can't help with the router.
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to halfaseesaw:
> (In reply to mypyrex) unplug monitor from pc and see if you get the no signal warning.

Nothing - apart from power light

In reply to mypyrex:

Is the power light on both monitor and computer itself? Does the computer sound like it is running ok? It could be that the screen is fine and the computer isnt displaying graphics properly
 Kevin Bowser 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: Firstly, disconnect power to the PC (physically unplug the power cable), leave it for a minute or so then reconnect and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the network cable from your PC. Does the wired network light on the router go out? If not, then you definitely have two separate problems.

As for the monitor, what are you using to get on the internet at the mo? Can you connect this to the monitor? This would tell you if the fault is with the PC or the screen. You could also try the same with your router...
 halfaseesaw 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: how's it going?
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to MrFlibble:
> (In reply to mypyrex) Firstly, disconnect power to the PC (physically unplug the power cable), leave it for a minute or so then reconnect and see what happens.

Did that - nothing.
>
> If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the network cable from your PC. Does the wired network light on the router go out?
It went out

> As for the monitor, what are you using to get on the internet at the mo?

The router is working ok - i'm using it now.

OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to goingupintheworld:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
>
> Is the power light on both monitor and computer itself?
Yes

Does the computer sound like it is running ok?

Yes
 Kevin Bowser 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: Does the monitor work with the PC you're using now?
 nathanmanc 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex:
If none of those ideas work, try opening the box. Check your gfx card (if you have one) hasn't become dislodged (if you knock the box/connector it can happen). Again, if that doesnt work, try re-booting your cmos; pop out the small watch battery on the motherboard then simply put it back in.

Hope that helps
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to MrFlibble:
> (In reply to mypyrex) Does the monitor work with the PC you're using now?

Using laptop. I have also tried connecting the pc monitor to the laptop instead of the pc - nothing

OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to nathanmanc:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> If none of those ideas work, try opening the box. Check your gfx card (if you have one) hasn't become dislodged (if you knock the box/connector it can happen). Again, if that doesnt work, try re-booting your cmos; pop out the small watch battery on the motherboard then simply put it back in.
>
> Hope that helps

That's all a bit beyond me

halfaseesaw 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: it's easy -
switch off the PC at the wall,
open it up and remove the card that your monitor is attached to.
put it back in.
put the cover back on the PC.
attach your monitor and switch on your PC.
tell us what you see......
OP mypyrex 21 Nov 2009
In reply to all: The fact that there was no display when I connected the monitor to the laptop surely suggests a problem in the monitor rather than the pc
 Kevin Bowser 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: When you connected your laptop to the monitor, did you switch the laptop display over? I think it's usually done with Fn + F4.

If that's not working then it sounds to me like the problem is either with the monitor cable or monitor itself. The best way to check is to borrow one from elsewhere and see what happens (easier said than done, I know).

If the graphics card card is dislodged I *think* you would get a series of beeps when you turn the PC on.
 Pauline 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to all) The fact that there was no display when I connected the monitor to the laptop surely suggests a problem in the monitor rather than the pc

correct!
 halfaseesaw 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex: yes, but it important to verify these things before you spend vast sums of your hard earned cash on a new monitor!
 ajsteele 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex:

Hit the menu buttons on the monitor to see if anything comes on the screen, if theres power going to it then you should get the monitors menu unless the backlight for the monitor has died. If you ge the menu then you probably need a new monitor lead if not you probably need a new monitor.
 Dominion 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex:

> The fact that there was no display when I connected the monitor to the laptop surely suggests a problem in the monitor rather than the pc

Not necessarily. Some laptops have a setting in the BIOS that tells them whether to use the local TFT, or external VGA, or autodetect - 3 settings.

As someone else has said there is usually a toggle button on the laptop keyboard that cycles between those settings. You need to give each one 3 or so seconds before deciding it doesn't work. The external VGA Only) will be the one that switched your laptop screen off.

I guess you've checked the cable connection at the monitor end to see if it's just loose by a fraction? Easy to overlook the basics when you think something is wrong...

||-)
Cats 21 Nov 2009
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to MrFlibble)
> [...]
>
> Using laptop. I have also tried connecting the pc monitor to the laptop instead of the pc - nothing

Have you remembered to right-click the desktop, go into properties and find where to get it to start using the extra screen?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...