UKC

The Caldera Strata - using a smaller pan with a Cone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
One of the few problems with the Caldera Cone is the fact that it can only accommodate one pan, as it has to be carefully tailored to the pan.

Here's an idea for adding a 'secondary cone' for the Caldera Clone, allowing it to be used with a second, smaller pan. I'm calling it the Caldera Strata...

It uses curved folds in foil to make an annular extension for the Clone, forming a 'secondary cone' within the first. I got the idea for the circular folds when making conic walls for red bull burners; as I was breaking out the inner wall, I noticed that the folded curve formed a very stable shape, and thought I must be able to do something with it; now I've found a use...

The Strata uses two folds; an outer fold to allow the Strata to sit on the Cone, and an inner fold to form the secondary cone to support the inner pan. In order to fit to the existing Cone, the walls of the Strata are the same slope as the Cone, so that it fits snugly.

The design concept is very versatile, and can accommodate a wide range of height differences between the pans, controlled by the position of the inner fold.

For a cone wall slope s, a difference in pan radii dR, and pan height difference dH, the vertical fold depth f, can be found

f = (dH + s.dR)/2

For a minimum fold height x, the range of height difference that can be accommodated is

+/- (s.dR - 2.x)

So, for s=5, dR =10mm, x=10mm, the range of height difference that can be accommodated is

+/- 30mm.

A taller inner pan sits above the top of the 'normal' Clone.
A shorter inner pan sits below the top of the 'normal' Clone.
The base of the inner pan remains at the same height above the burner as designed for the main Clone and pan.

The down sides are that it cannot roll or fold up, so it has to be stored somewhere, and it's so light (6g) that it may blow away. It also takes some careful folding to make the curved folds. I was worried that it might get too hot and soften or melt, but it seemed to survive its first test unscathed; no sign of overheating at all, even though the flames from the burner played up the sides of the pan (it was a 'normal sized' burner).

The MyTiMug is 20mm taller than the MSR Titan kettle. Putting the Titan Clone fitted with MyTiMug Strata beside the MyTiMug Clone, they were at exactly the same height.

I've modified my Clone script and instructions have been modified to add Strata template and instructions.

Some pictures available here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gallery/image.asp?UIN=24570&SP=&V=7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...