UKC

REVIEW: Welsh Connections DVD from Bamboo Chicken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Dec 2009
[Welsh Connections DVD, 4 kb]Seasoned climbing pundit Ian Smith takes a look at the new film Welsh Connections.

He says:

"What's it like – one word, BRILLIANT."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2310

owain86 06 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

A fantastic film, I loved it!
 Alun 09 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I've got to be honest, I disagree completely with most of this review. I really really wanted to like this film; I'm Welsh, have climbed a lot in Wales, and been lucky enough to briefly meet a few people who are in the DVD. Unfortunately I just didn't enjoy it. Other than a few excellent bits (Emmett in Pembroke, The Quarryman, and the last sequence at Gogarth), it just didn't inspire me.

Worst of all I felt it didn't fully succeed in showing how brilliant the climbing Wales can be. Wales is reknown internationally for it's adventurous climbing on interesting rock - so why was the first "dose" showing limestone bolt-clipping? Why not make a bigger deal of the aspects of Wales that make Welsh climbing different, like the slate and the amazing sea cliff climbing?

On the positive side it was good to see and hear Johnny Dawes (as always), and I agree that Nick Bullock is a natural on camera!
 Dom Whillans 09 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I really liked this film on the whole, the only thing I didn't like was the continuity of some shots (particularly on the quarryman, where different shots had pete w at different places at odd times). overall though, the camera work was excellent (i'm really liking the boom camera doo-dah shots, it gives a real dynamic sense of movement to a shot) and the film seemed to make sense as a whole (not just a series of moves and routes).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...