UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Low Winter Sun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Dec 2009
[Observatory Gully, Ben Nevis, 2 kb]In this, the second of three articles, Patrick Roman finds himself 200ft up Stormy Petrel on Ben Nevis, unroped and in the teeth of a Scottish storm.

"The blunt sound of metal hitting rock reverberates back to me. I try another section, scraping the pick in an arc. The tool grates, as do my nerves. I gain another metre by inching my front points up..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2293

davo 10 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Brilliant! Had me enthralled all the way...
This will be the last article since Patrick has requested that we don't publish his third article.

Alan
 bouldery bits 10 Dec 2009
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

That is a shame, I have enjoyed the other two articles immensely .

Cheers,

Oli
I find reading articles on-line difficult, but this and part one I did not, it had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The writing is engaging, open and very honest. I have only soloed a few very modest winter routes and find in these articles an sense of empathy.

I find the modesty in which the article is written most striking.

Please publish section 3.
 Patrick Roman 10 Dec 2009
In reply to Jamie Simpson - Alpine Dragons:

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your reply, I'm really pleased you liked what I wrote. If you email me directly, I'll send you the third article.

For others who want to read the third piece, just email too and I'll send it on.

Thanks,

Patrick
 AsleepOnBelay 10 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Really enjoyed this and the previous article. Thanks Patrick for the excellent writing and UKC for publishing them.
davo 10 Dec 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Pity there won't be anymore articles. Really enjoyed both of them. Best articles I have read in a long time. Really interesting, well written and enthralling. Great explanations of reasons for soloing winter routes which I could relate to even if I don't fancy doing it!

Thanks

Dave
 Will Hunt 16 Dec 2009
In reply to Patrick Roman:

Cheers for writing these great pieces, Patrick. Does the reluctance to publish the third on UKC have anything to do with the soloing disclaimer?
 Henry Iddon 17 Dec 2009

Great piece not only because of the adventure but the great writting.
 danm 17 Dec 2009

Great piece of writing Patrick, very well written.
 DrGav 23 Dec 2009
In reply to Patrick Roman:

An extremely well written personal account. Very moving. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...