UKC

NEW ARTICLE: A Winter's Tale - New Year Special with Rad Butts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Jan 2010
[Petzl Quark modifications #1, 2 kb]

Rad Butts and Creagan Beaulay are two leading all-round climbers who describe themselves as 'riding the wind.'

Here Creagan Beaulay describes the pair's recent astonishing ascent of a classic on Aonach Mor, using new-wave ethics...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2384

Sargey 06 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

eh?
 Sargey 06 Jan 2010

ahhhh, read the previous adventures and all becomes clear

Is it even a true story?
pamplemouse 06 Jan 2010
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Dear Franco

Of course it is, everything on UKC is true :-0
In reply to pamplemouse:

I get the 'hilarious' humour of the article, i'm just interested as to whether them actually did hire a load of axes out. I'm guessing not as anybody who has time-enough to concoct such a well written piece, surely can't climb very much.
 Michael Ryan 06 Jan 2010
> (In reply to pamplemouse)
>
> , i'm just interested as to whether them actually did hire a load of axes out. I'm guessing not as anybody who has time-enough to concoct such a well written piece, surely can't climb very much.

Rad Butts and Creagan Beaulay do climb a lot Franco, more than you and they are far far better.

Your day will come if you follow the bible of climbing according to Rad Butts.

Keep it real Franco.

It might not be a true story, however I discussed with Luke trying to acquire a load of ice axes and placing them at two foot intervals all the way up Point 5 Gully. All Luke would need was chalk up and put on his rock shoes and climb all the way to the top.
In reply to the cassin ridge:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)
>
> All Luke would need was chalk up and put on his rock shoes and climb all the way to the top.

*and a rap rope.
 punster 06 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: This reminds me of the G.J.F Dutton stories about the "Doctor" (which are a little dated now and need of an update).

Great stuff, Keep up the good work ! Or should I say, "This is totally Sick, Dude"
 Astral Highway 07 Jan 2010
In reply to paulsp:

Thanks, Paul. I'll look up GJF Dutton - I'll have to admit that I hadn't heard of him. When was he writing?
sconesandjam 07 Jan 2010

I jolly well hope Mr Butts paid for the appropriate PRS licence to play music as part of a "performance or event" (category C) in a public or outdoor space? The RPS has attack helicopters, you know...

jonnie3430 08 Jan 2010
In reply to Astral Highway:

G J F Dutton was editor of the SMC Journal, where the stories orginally appeared. The two I have, "The Ridiculous Mountains," and "Nothing So Simple as Climbing," were published in 1984 and 1993 respectively. I highly recommend them.

jonnie
 t_stork 11 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: When is this rubbish going to stop? Is there any need for it?
 up the hill 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: umm if I HAD to describe this 'piece' in 1 word I'd go 4 'yukky'. Utter drivel, total macho non-sense and the wussyest daydream of an ascent ever! Just because a climber can construct a sentence doesn't mean they have anything sensible to say. Ugh! Yuck!
 Sash.C 13 Jan 2010
In reply to up the hill: In the same respect... just because a climber has an opinion, it doesn't mean it has to be voiced!
AHGordon 13 Jan 2010
In reply to up the hill:

I see you're also new to the forum. Did you read the older articles first? I wasn't sure how to place this until Ihad. Then it all fell into place with a thump, like a good axe placement.

The thing is obviously a spoof, and when you say it's macho and a wussy daydream, that means it's doing just what it set out to, take the piss out of a certain style of writing. It IS all the things you're complaining about (except I think is very funny) but it sets out to be, unlike a lot of stuff that aims for seriousness but is unwittingly funny for all the wrong reasons. I, for one, have read enough over-blown descriptions to last a life-time.

So, well done to the writer for getting that just right - far from easy... and well done to UKC for running with the series.good to see that superbly written comic writing can be part of the mix of UKC (a very small part, from what I can see)

As for Rad, the climber characterised here, I think he has some hilarious traits. And don't forget the story is told by his supposed climbing partner, who has a really bad blind spot and just doesn't see things the way they are.

Climbing is serious, sure. Newsworthy, cutting-edge ascents are given all deference they deserve from what I can see. But not all writing about climbing has to be serious all of the time. Humour never can be right for all, so anyone can walk away iwho doesn't like it. But the big reader numbers on all of this series speak for themsevles.
In reply to AHGordon:

But it fails, cause it isn't actually about anything. I'd prefer to read a funny account about something epic.
 Jack Geldard 13 Jan 2010
> (In reply to AHGordon)
>
>
> But it fails, cause it isn't actually about anything. I'd prefer to read a funny account about something epic.

Not everything on this site is written specifically for you Franco, hard as that may be for you to believe. Apparently not everyone climbs on the North York moors either.

Personally I have enjoyed the Rad series and I am a big fan of trying to bring more humour in to the climbing media in the UK.

These articles are clearly not for everyone, but they are for some. Some people have really enjoyed them, and it did tickle me when a friend of mine was fully taken in by the Park Front April fool news item. Brilliant!

I'd like to thank Al for the series. I'd also like to ask anyone else who has some humorous ideas to get in touch with me via email through the site.

A couple of new characters could come to life - one of them could even be called Franco - now that could go down really well...!

Jack
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

fair enough. Hopefully you can find a character that will tickle me.
 zigzag 14 Jan 2010
Hi Guys,
would have commented on your brill ascent earlier but only just got back vrom six day trek to the front garden gate,had to call out the M/rescue guys. You'll be able to catch on the Highland rescue pragramme, did you see the one about the climbers on Buchaille Etive? what was that all about,
AHGordon 17 Jan 2010

Been having a think about something interesting and serious that Creagan says in the story. Road pricing really is a possibility in the near future (a fixed cost per mile) and from what I hear a lot of folk do have to spend a long time driving about to winter crags. Like he says, if you add petrol and the possibility of expensive car park fees, that's a serious amount of cash that folk will be shelling out.

Can folk see this as a possibility? That getting to climbing venues become so expensive that only locals can make it in the next twenty years or so?

Mods do make a new thread if you prefer.
Dr.Strangeglove 17 Jan 2010
In reply to AHGordon:
Because petrol is so heavily taxed we in effect already do have road pricing.

A lot of the chat about road pricing suggests that rural roads will be priced cheaper (less good public transport) and urban roads more expensively. In the unlikely event that the pricing of transport is shifted from fuel costs to road usage then hunting out winter climbs could in fact become cheaper............
 petestack 17 Jan 2010
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
> fair enough. Hopefully you can find a character that will tickle me.

http://www.mrmen.com/uk/index.php?deeplink=mrtickle

?

In reply to zigzag:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> Hi Guys,
> would have commented on your brill ascent earlier but only just got back vrom six day trek to the front garden gate,had to call out the M/rescue guys. You'll be able to catch on the Highland rescue pragramme, did you see the one about the climbers on Buchaille Etive? what was that all about,

Be quiet you muppet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...