UKC

NEW ARTICLE: LLAMFF and UKC Photo Comp - get your votes in!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Jan 2010
[LLamff Photo Comp, 4 kb]LLAMFF and UKC have got together to run a photography competition hosted at UKClimbing.com. The winners will have their photos printed, mounted and displayed at LLAMFF and they can keep the finished prints, plus the winners also get Rockfax guidebooks of their choice. Full details in this article.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2382

Competition now closed for entries but you can still vote here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=5

Last day for votes is Tuesday February 9th 2010.
jsusw 07 Jan 2010
You say that no composite images are allowed. I just wanted to check to see whether this would exclude images stitched into a panorama (e.g. 2 vertical images stitched together to form one seemless panorama).
In reply to jsusw:

Panorama stitches are okay, but not Photoshop grafting jobs please.

Alan
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

What sort of category is "To the Limit"? Gurning sports climber fumbling for a clip, or vastly overloaded Sherpa? Or both?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jan 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Use your imagination!

Chris

Bob kate bob 07 Jan 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
I personally don't think it is good form to make entries viewable before the comp has shut.

I can't think of anywhere else other than UKC that makes entries to competitions public before the comps are finished.
In reply to Bob kate bob:

I agree
 Michael Ryan 07 Jan 2010
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I disagree with you both. It's fun to see the entries as they appear, people get a lot of pleasure, inspiration and motivation from viewing photographs.

Also in old style photo comps you just see the winners. Now we are more egalitarian and less elitist. If you enter, your work will be seen.

Apart from that in these photo comps at UKC, everyone gets a chance to vote for their favourites.

Also the system is quite clever, it compensates for early and later entries so all are seen.

In this case, after public votes, the final judges are Sue Peton and Ray Wood.

Ta

Mick
Bob kate bob 07 Jan 2010
some are seen just as cut off date happens, some are seen for much longer. So they arn't all treated the same.

I know you want to drum up busness (for more entries) and that the more you post regularly the more exposure the comp and therefore the sponsor of the comp gets. So I can't knock that, UKC is a busness.

Just thought it would be farer to publish all comp entries at the same time, after the comp has closed.

Bob kate bob 07 Jan 2010
Oh and the publishing entries before the comp has ended won't change the voting, but it could well change what is entered.

> but it could well change what is entered.

That was my thinking. If someone has a great and original shot in mind, but sees that lots of sunrise snow Alpine mountainscapes are being entered and getting voted unanimous 5s, they may be put off, or decide to submit another sunrise snow Alpine mountainscape. i.e. knowing what the judges will be mostly looking at in a given category, will affect later entrants' choices.
 EddInaBox 07 Jan 2010

I look forward to seeing lots of dogs in the ‘Mountain Flora/Fauna’ category.
 ChrisJD 07 Jan 2010

You do what you think is best Mick. No matter how you decided to run the competition, someone would always have had a counter view.
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> some are seen just as cut off date happens, some are seen for much longer. So they arn't all treated the same.

Once a photo reaches a threashold of votes, the impact of a greater number of votes reduces dramatically and the photos are marked on an average score.
At the end of the competition we close the entries but allow voting for another week or so to allow the votes to build up. So in the end the votes all get a fair crack of the whip. The winners will all be stunning shots, you only need to check our previous comps to see how the cream floats to the top, and in all occasions, the comp wasn't won by the first person who uploaded a decent shot.

The reason we like a lot of entries in the comps is because they are great pictures which we like looking at. There is no direct financial benefit to UKC of more entries.

Alan
Bob kate bob 08 Jan 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
Ok, I'll be a pedant.

There IS an indirect benefit (which could well turn into financial benefit) of more posting about the comp and therefore giving sponsors more exposure. Your a busness, it seems right that you would want this. I just think that the comp could still have great exposure without publishing the entries before the closing date.

I am not saying that the posting of entries will effect the vote a pic gets if the posting of entries before the comp ends does NOT effect what pictures get entered later. The thing is it could (I expect that it is more than likely).

Here is a senario that could happen to help illustrate the issue.
Photographer A has a wonderful inovative idea, takes an ok picture and submits it.
Photographer B sees the idea, takes a photo using the idea which is better technically than photographer As submission.

Under the way you are running the comp at the moment, Photographer B is more likely to win than A(same idea, executed better).
Where as if photos were only published after the closing date, more likely A would have a chance to win with their inovative idea.

I am definately not against you running the comp, think it's a wonderful idea. I just think the way it has been executed could do with a bit of fine tuneing.

Michael Ryan 14 Jan 2010

Some great entries. Thank you.

Keep them coming.
 Michael Ryan 14 Jan 2010

Entries so far at: http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=5
 Glyn Jones 20 Jan 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: It's a humpback whale my dear - sorry, didn't like it with so much of the pacific ocean showing so have resubmitted - in case people are trying to find it.

David Hooper 28 Jan 2010

Although I am loving the entries in the comp ( and have submitted a handful myself) I do have one gripe.

It aint a level playing field as us amateur punters are pitched up against professional photographers who are submitting work from their potfolios. I would by far to see pro and am separate classes.

Apart from that - its all good - thanks David

David Dear 29 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Dave does have a point.. Maybe those who are 'Professional' should at least be identified. A £400 camera is not going to compare with a camera worth thousands, with professional processing etc., A minor gripe though, because it's just a bit of fun really!

Generally I think the quality of the photos put up on UKC over the last year has got better and better, there's been some stunning images. We all love the mountains and it shows in the photos submitted every week. Well done to everyone, especially the 'regulars'!
 Alex Buisse 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Dave Dear:

An issue with this is how to define professional photographers. In competitions, it usually means that more than half of your income comes from photography. If you want to apply this criterion to stuff run on UKC, then I doubt that you will have more than a couple of persons in the pro category, perhaps even none, so I don't think it would make much sense.

For what it's worth, I'm not a pro (at least not yet), and I suspect most of the others in the top rated page aren't either.
 Chris F 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Bob kate bob: glad to see your valid point has been taken on board, and not ignored entirely!
 David Dear 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Alex Buisse: Good point Alexandre, it pays to think things through on my part, eh? As I said, though, it's just a bit of fun and I'm really enjoying the pics. They just get better and better! Yours have been fantastic.
 David Hooper 31 Jan 2010

and one thing I would say to anyone browsing the competition gallery - DO click on the thumbnails - lots of the entries are really stunning and you just dont get an idea from the thumbnails
 Michael Ryan 31 Jan 2010
In reply to David Hooper:

Competition closes Monday Night. You can still vote for a few days then its over to judging by professional photographer Ray Wood and Sue Peyton of Joe Browns to make their winning selections.
This competition has now closed but you can still vote until Tuesday 9th Feb.

Vote here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=5

Thanks for all the great entries.

Alan
UKC
 Jamie Hageman 09 Mar 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I can't seem to find out the winners. Are the winning shots online?
In reply to Jamie Hageman: here you go

http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=31

Not telling you which are the winners though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...