UKC

NEWS: Lakes & Wales - New Routes & Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Jan 2010
[Idwal Ice Action on Friday January 8th , 4 kb]Details and photos of new routes and current conditions in the Lakes and North Wales, with Video.

Ice in Idwal, snow on Blencathra and everything in between.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51184

gethin_allen 09 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Quality, I know that bloke climbing in the pic on the side, I followed him up it and found it totally nails.
 mux 09 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: another new hard route going up on Llech Ddu on Friday.

Check out Baggy's blog or the winter wetpaint for details.

Well Done Simon Frost and Dave Almond.

punters get up stuff too ya know.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
This article would explain why there were around 50 people in Launchy Gill on Saturday!

Note to self - if you find any seldom-formed route in condition, don't breathe a soul to anyone or it'll be a UKC headline with days, and hacked to pieces in hours...
 3leggeddog 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Toreador:

I find it best to use these articles as a "where not to go" guide. Folk say I am miserable and up my own arse but at least I have quiet, enjoyable days without queueing
 Michael Ryan 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Toreador and threeleggedog:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> This article would explain why there were around 50 people in Launchy Gill on Saturday!

Nope. The current conditions explain why many areas are popular at the moment.

Then word of mouth, climbers blogs and UKC....

There are plenty of places in condition, the best are always mobbed.

> but at least I have quiet, enjoyable days without queueing

Yes and you aren't the only one.

Many appreciate these conditions reports especially if they are driving far at a weekend.

Not all of live in a climbing area.

M

Matt_b 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Toreador: This isn't always true. A climb that hasn't really been talked about or been logged on here was still heaving on Saturday. If you could battle the winds high up yesterday, the Wasdale area was very quiet.
 chris_j_s 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Toreador:

Should have got out of bed earlier!
 3leggeddog 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Aye, I suppose on reflection the sheep will be thankful that people like me chose to climb elsewhere
 Michael Ryan 11 Jan 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Aye, I suppose on reflection the sheep will be thankful that people like me chose to climb elsewhere

You are so special.

It's all about you.

3leggeddog 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
To an extent you are correct, climbing is my "me" time and special to me, climbing is a selfish pursuit so yes it is all about me. I enjoy the company of others when climbing but not to the extent that some areas have seen this weekend, so an added challenge in my planning is crowd avoidance. I do not believe I am unusual in this outlook. Part of your job is to satisfy endless demands for winter conditions, which ukc does, sometimes a little too well!
 Jon Ratcliffe 12 Jan 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog: Wow....if you like the quiet and crowd avoidance then why are you posting on one of the busiest climbing sites on the net? Oh, of course, it's just to tell everyone how awesome you are to have the incredible knowledge to avoid the popular routes at the weekend, how did you come to realise this? Your smugness is almost surpassed by your ego. I wish I was like you..
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2010
In reply to Matt_b:
> If you could battle the winds high up yesterday, the Wasdale area was very quiet.

I know, that's where we were. The only other climbers we saw had just climbed the same wrong gully that we did
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2010
In reply to chris_j_s:
> Should have got out of bed earlier!

Actually we timed it about right, purely by luck. People we spoke to who'd arrived at the crack of dawn found themselves queueing for every pitch. And as we were descending, there were loads of people coming up for the evening shift. But we managed to get it all done without any waiting around

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...