UKC

Renault Clio 182

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rossowen 10 Jan 2010
Thinking of purchasing one of these, in silver, 52k miles. Any words of wisdom?
 Wile E. Coyote 10 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen: yeah buy a v6 instead

Nice car mate, go for it.
 creag 10 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:
Great cars...
Check rear suspension for leaks. If it has the cup pack the wheel bearings are different from the standard 182 and are harder to get. Runs so much smoother on Shell optimax fuel. Check the condition of the exhaust, will cost a fortune to replace!!! OH and I have 2 front brake discs for sale, so if you do buy it.....
OP rossowen 10 Jan 2010
Awesome, thanks. I was hoping you'd say that. It's the standard version, not the cup. Also the previous owner fitted a stainless steel exhaust system. Bargain. I'm gonna be blasting around burning rubber and losing my license in no time.
 pabbage 10 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen: i've had a couple . . . the lower the mileage the better
 johnwright 10 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:
> Thinking of purchasing one of these, in silver, 52k miles. Any words of wisdom?

One thing to keep in mind is it's a Renault, and it will let you down.
OP rossowen 10 Jan 2010
In reply to john: Yes that's what I'm worried about - problems with the ekectrics
 johnwright 10 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:
> (In reply to john) Yes that's what I'm worried about - problems with the ekectrics

It's a shame because they (Renault) nearly get it right.

OP rossowen 11 Jan 2010
In reply to johnwright: I might just go for it anyway though, I really like the car. Maybe I'll have one bout of problems with the electrics and then all will be well for miles and miles of motoring madness...

My other option is a Civic Type R, and although I like them as well, they are more expensive to buy insure and run. For the same price I'm looking at one with more miles, and two years older, or I'd have to pay another couple of thousand for one of a similar age / condition.

Still - could take one out of a test blast and see if it can change my mind.

Thanks for your help.

Fraser 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:

IMO I'd take a Honda over a Renault any day, but each to their own. Enjoy.
OP rossowen 11 Jan 2010
In reply to Fraser: Going to look at a Type R this pm. Took one out today as well and have to say I like it, a lot.

Only 31 MPG though, and pricy insurance...!
Goodwin912 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:

31MPG isn't bad from a Type R, I thought they'd be worse than that. I get about that from my C2 VTR.
 woolsack 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:
> (In reply to john) Yes that's what I'm worried about - problems with the ekectrics

Preempt the wiring gremlins: buy yourself a can of contact cleaner and spend a tedious day going round making sure all the contacts in the plugs are in good nick. So many alleged wiring issues are down to lack of maintenance in this area
 creag 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen:
They are great cars, miss mine so much. They do need a bit of looking after and will have few problems due to their 'Frenchness' but just so much fun. Best advice is get yourself a login to clio.net and chat with all the other owners. Good info there.
 Wile E. Coyote 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen: Why don't you just be done with it and buy a Golf?
 mark s 11 Jan 2010
In reply to rossowen: a lad I know a little had one,but the electrics kept playing up.he went for the sensible option and bought an imprreza do like the renault sport range tho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...