UKC

NEWS: Leanne Callaghan: Neanderthal - VII,7 - Glen Coe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Jan 2010
[Leanne Callaghan: Neanderthal - VII,7 - Glen Coe, 3 kb]Leanne Callaghan has made what is believed to be the first female lead of Neanderthal (VII,7) on Lost Valley Buttress, Glen Coe.

Callaghan, 37, is one of the most accomplished female mountaineers on British soil at the moment, operating at a very high standard on both rock and ice, on the crags and in the mountains.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51211
 Sam Mayfield 12 Jan 2010
Good going girl!

Also Will not too bad for holding the ropes! ;0)

See you out in Spain soon we hope.

Love Sam and Rich x
 Denni 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent effort! Wish I was as devoted or half as good as Leanne is.
Nice to see a wee nate from the FA as well.
In reply to UKC News:

Cool!

Nice article as well.
 Jamie B 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Leanne; I see a female VII thread coming on..
 Mark Stevenson 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Leanne!

Good write up and a collection of inspiring pictures. It certainly makes me want to get back up to Scotland this month.
 Rich Kirby 12 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Looks desperate. Good effort,
 IainWhitehouse 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Well done Leanne!
 SonyaD 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Wow, inspiring stuff! <like in my dreams!> Well done.

Aye Jamie, wonder how many women have climbed VII (led, not just seconded) Was there not mention of how many on that VIII thread of Ian's?
 TobyA 13 Jan 2010
In reply to SonyaD:
> Was there not mention of how many on that VIII thread of Ian's?

I think there was as well because I saw the name of an old friend from uni who I've lost contact with on the list, Hannah. I think there were only a couple of others though.

Jamie B 13 Jan 2010
In reply to TobyA:

Hannah Burrows-Smith definately has, but I'm struggling to think of others. Louise Thomas was on the first ascent of an VIII,7(Scrabble) with Twid but I dont know if she led through?
 SonyaD 13 Jan 2010
In reply to TobyA: Here was the list from that thread. Can anyone confirm that, other than Hannah, these women all have led VII. Were they led onsight too?

Grade VII Ladies
Roccio Siemens
Hannah Burrows-Smith
Di Gilbert ?
Louie Thomas
Libby Peter
Kath Bromfield ?
 TobyA 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: What route was it that Hannah did? If you know her, would you say hi from me and send her my best.
 Ben C 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Leanne, beats Simon's shed exploits!)
 Jamie B 13 Jan 2010
In reply to TobyA:

Wish I could remember; I dont really know her, just bump into her on the hill from time to time.
 Jamie B 13 Jan 2010
In reply to SonyaD:

Pretty sure Cio has led the grade recently; not sure about the others. It might just be a list of female all-rounders who are assumed to be that good. More research needed..
 Will1 13 Jan 2010
In reply to SonyaD: I would just like to add Ben Bradford to your list.
 Ian Parnell 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: That list was pretty pure speculation. It would be good to know other specific routes that have had the cruxes led by ice queens. By that I mean talented winter climbing ladies not Ben!
Removed User 13 Jan 2010
In reply to Will1:
> (In reply to SonyaD) I would just like to add Ben Bradford to your list.

Ha ha.
Actually Will should get a mention for holding the ropes as he's done the climb twice before. Good climbing partner commitment!
Also, Leanne doesn't consider herself a "mixed climber" although she might have changed her mind now.
 alkira 13 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I'm sure hannah has led routes of that grade but is too modest to shout about it.
she's now a UIAGM guide so probably having fun on skis!!!!

"the best climber in the world is the one having most fun"

give up on your poxy grades obsession

kind regards

Andy H
 Jamie B 14 Jan 2010
In reply to ab tat:

It is a popular (and lazy) misconception that people who talk about climbing online dont actually do it. A glance through the logbooks suggests otherwise.
 ab tat 14 Jan 2010
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

I hope your right..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...