UKC

NEWS: Fri Night Vid: Randall is London Wide Boy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Jan 2010
[Tom Randall - Indoor Offwidth, 3 kb]On a recent trip to the big smoke, Sheffield based Tom Randall managed to thrust his entire lower leg deep in to a tight fissure.

"...perfect 6 inch..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51402

catt 22 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

It lasted a day before it came down...
In reply to UKC News: haha you're a sick man. im not surprised they took it down. shame..
 Pete Graham 22 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Lovely stuff. There should be more of this sort of thing in bouldering comps. The 6 inch 45 degree offwidth in the climbing works is pretty fun. Has anyone done it? It's pretty slick inside so i usually end up sliding out at about two thirds height. Best problem in there.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Ok, we can "how", but surely the question is "why"
 David Barlow 22 Jan 2010
Please put it back!
 James Moyle 22 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: Love it!
sc9 22 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Here's another one for the wide boys. And what a stonkin' good name for a route!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UzoMJNVuwE&feature=related
 tommyzero 23 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News: One day???? That is criminal! There is no way that I would get up a V8 but I've no idea why us Southerners weren't allowed the chance to have a go on something that a solid bunch of climbers had put up to test what we are made of?

Seems a shame.

I can't even look at in longingly and dream.
 whistler 23 Jan 2010
In reply to UKC News:
How on earth can this be E7? Surely something has gone wrong here... I know it's grit and I appreciate it's super hard but come on! this is bouldering height + bomber gear.
btw
I'm referring to the Ray's Route in the article.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to slag anyone off but surely this is one of the advantages of the E grading system, you can differentiate between hard safe routes and easy dangerous etc...
 Michael Ryan 23 Jan 2010
In reply to whistler:

Try it and report back.
 Reach>Talent 23 Jan 2010
In reply to catt:
They took it down? Looks like fun. Definitely needs to go back but maybe getting shot of all those holds at the start, we want more jamming!
 RupertD 23 Jan 2010
In reply to whistler:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> How on earth can this be E7? Surely something has gone wrong here... I know it's grit and I appreciate it's super hard but come on! this is bouldering height + bomber gear.

I'm always intrigued by comments like this. The route is E7 6c. What grade would you propose to give a route that's not got a technical move harder than 6c, but that is harder than E6?
 Reach>Talent 23 Jan 2010
In reply to RupertD:
We need a sensible system like the one they have in the States

E6 < E6a < E6b < E6c < E6d < E7

<Runs and hides under a bridge>
 whistler 23 Jan 2010
In reply to RupertD:

yeah I guess you're right. I don't like armchair commentators and i don't want to be one. I got carried away.
In reply to Catt – yes a shame, I suppose they do have to entice people to come in the door and not look and then walk out again in disgust!!

In reply to Pete Graham – yeah Works one is good. Do it with one foot above head and constant sliding hand-fist stack. Probably about V6 ish?? Very slippery.

In reply to Tall Chris – why? Because you know you want to….. At least you only have Slabimus Maximus to content with now.

In reply to Whistler – hey, after all the grade’s only an indication of the difficulties. It’s mostly about how much you enjoy yourself. I never pay much attention when it comes to grades concerning cracks. They’re very random!
 Ropeboy 24 Jan 2010
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

lol, you animal!!

J
 Ropeboy 25 Jan 2010
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Here's something to get your teeth in to;

youtube.com/watch?v=BO4YYCQmUBk&

J
 Birdo 26 Jan 2010
Now then,

It got taken down after 3 days (ahem) whilst a load of idiots with very limited experience in jamming our feet upside down and shuffling (myself included) had many goes and got truly spanked.

yeah it got taken down but it is kind of understandable as it was a bit of an accident waiting to happen...

however, Castle has had jamming stuff in the past but more would be welcome!

If Tom and Pete want to come and set up a similar crack but in the roof of the catacombs creating a Cedar Eater style problem then that would be ace!
However not sure how long that would last either!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...