UKC

recommend mallorca accom and location to me please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 j_duds 23 Jan 2010
Having never been to the island of mallorca i am amazed by the amount of places and options that we can stay. But i'm getting confused by all the web sites and accom stuff available!
There are 2 of us, looking for somthing cheap(ish) and nice, near the good climbing.
Any recommendations or locations to stay in please? Any web sites to check?
In reply to j_duds:

Plenty of climber-specific advice here - http://www.rockfax.com/areas/mallorca/accommodation.html

One point Mark Glaister recently mentioned to me, after staying in Port Soller for a week before Christmas, was that the toll in the tunnel costs around £5 each way which can build up over a week and add quite a lot to your costs. You would probably not use the tunnel to climb at Port Soller, C'an Nyic, Valldemossa and Ses Tret, everywhere else would need the tunnel.

Alan
OP j_duds 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
ok thanks, we going to look at the guide book and see which location is best. Any specific recommendations of accom?
 John Ww 23 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds: Shedloads at Puerto Pollenca - just Google "Puerta Pollencca apartment" and see how many come up! We're going at Easter, and there's any ammount for £250 - £300 per week.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds:

Porto Pollenca is good for the north, a bit of a haul (well up to an hour) to the southern cliffs.

Soller is a bit remote.

We have tended to stay around Palma (Palma Nova/Magaluf etc) as it is only 10 mins drive from Gubia, the main crag on the island. It is a bit 'tourist trap' but will be quiet at this time of year.

Chris
 Greylag 23 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds:

i'm ff to pollenca with family in august - now im thinking the heat my ruin my chances off some climbing but anyone know of any spots around the poolenca area for an early morning boulder?

Martin Wing 23 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds: http://www.rocksportmallorca.com/blog/blog.php?bid=6
Some good bouldering 5min from puerto pollensa
 NorthernRock 23 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Chris is right, stop around palmanova or that region. Try hotel marina portals at portals nous, £25 a night out of season, good pool albeit cold!

Family has a place at Bendinat, which is pretty close, that's not an offer!

Plenty of rest day options as well, and palmanova is not bad at all, and you can head to shagamuff for comedy value, and portals nous to people watch the millionaire wannabes.
 Lankyman 23 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds: I agree with those saying Palma Nova/Magalluf area. Closest to most of the best crags and not too bad to get to the rest. I've used alpharooms.com a few times and stayed at Roc Portonova appartments (self-catering) and Hotel D'or Tobago (half-board, eat-all-you-can breakfast and evening meals, yippeee!). See them here http://www.alpharooms.com/WebPages/Search/SearchResults.aspx?SearchID=77266... Out of season it's fairly quiet.
 silhouette 24 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> ... Palma (Palma Nova/Magaluf etc) as it is only 10 mins drive from Gubia,

This is a serious point; why do people still think its macho and cool to advocate homicidally fast driving? Why is that?
 Missile 25 Jan 2010
In reply to j_duds: Depends what you mean by nice. We always stay in the Pollensa area which really is nice, and I don't agree it's a long drive to the southern crags - again it's what your priorities are. But I would hate to be in Palma Nova/Magaluf. For me a holiday is about more than how fast you can get to the crags.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Jan 2010
In reply to silhouette:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> [...]
>
> This is a serious point; why do people still think its macho and cool to advocate homicidally fast driving? Why is that?

Eh? OK it is 20 mins drive - is that better?

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...