UKC

Pex Hill - Monoblock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fire Marshall 29 Jan 2010
Just wondered what condition the Lady Jane area is in at the moment, in particular the Monoblock line. Has the place been getting much use, i.e how clean are the walls in that area at present?

Cheers!

J
Lusk 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy:

As a microwave engineer, would you consider climbing up Crystal Palace transmitting station tower dangerous or not?

A
 Kevster 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Lusk:
I am interested too! What a great question.
 Ben Farley 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: I haven't been down to Pex for a few weeks, mainly because it is probably soaked through except for Pisa Wall and bits of the far side by Memorial Corner. Lady Jane could be climbable if it stops raining for say four days on the trot and there is a good drying wind but I reckon the top of stuff like Breakaway, Catalepsy and Monoblock will stay damp for a while yet. Neither condition has occured for about two months apart from during the snow, when Lady Jane wall had a coating of ice down it. So, although I haven't been there lately (which is quite unlike me and therefore gives some indication of the state of the place), I reckon it's a pretty good prediction of the conditions there.

Fire Marshall 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Lusk:

I'm assuming you mean dangerous in the sense of exposure to it's radiated power level rather than the risk of falling from the tower whilst climbing it!

I don't know it's exact power level but looking at the physical size of the antenna and the transmitter coverage area it has to be approaching 1 Megawatt.....Then there's all the other antennae (albeit operating at much lower power levels) hanging off it. Not something I'd fancy 'topping out' on!

Anyway, this post was about Monoblock.....

J
 Andy Farnell 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: As Ben said, it's probably on the green and damp side at the minute. Monoblock doesn't get much traffic at the best of times so it may be worth abbing down and giving it a clean, when it gets dry that is.

Andy F
 Ben Farley 29 Jan 2010
In reply to andy farnell: Haha, good work Andy. That could get it cleaned and help a lot of people try it ground up. In fact, could we give a list of stuff to be cleaned by someone enthusiastic...?
 mrjonathanr 29 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Farley:
Exit on Air would be a good place to start.
In reply to Ben Farley:

I don't mind abbing down and cleaning it if i get a lift down or something? Means all you technical monsters can still do it in acceptable style!
Andy Popp 30 Jan 2010
In reply to Richard Hession:
This is all so 1980s.
Fire Marshall 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Ben Farley:

Cheers for everyone's comments about this, I'll get over once the weather allows. Used to put in serious hours at Pex for a couple of years as I worked just down the road, ticked most of the classics; solo's of The Knife, Hart's Arete, Bernie, Cobweb Crack, Dateline, Breakaway (post 'improvement') and Catalepsy, etc. Three eluded me before I moved away though; Monoblock, Staminade and Black Magic. I'll be planning to ab off and and clean it first (delicately) so it'll get it back in nick for any others wishing to make an attempt.

Thanks again for the comments appreciate your time. If anyone fancies hooking up down there then drop a post or mail. I'm Leeds so weekends only......

J
 Andy Farnell 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: Let me know when your around, could be tempted for a look as well.

Andy F
 iain_cbr 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: Let me know when you're going, I'll try and get down to lend a hand.
 Phase 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: im local and intend on making pex my regular crag. More than happy to help out

Let me know when.

James
In reply to Phase:

Cheers guys, aye we'll have a meet up down there, sounds rad!

Andy Farnell - Have I ever met you down Pex at all? I used to be Manc based and climbed at Broughton loads. Good mates with John Cooke, Andy Higginson and Ted Kingsnorth et al....

J
 Andy Farnell 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy: I think we may have met in the past. I've climbed a fair bit with John and Ted. Do you know Ian P and Tim B as well?

Andy F
 Pekkie 31 Jan 2010
In reply to Original Party Boy:
> ticked most of the classics; solo's of The Knife, Hart's Arete, Bernie, Cobweb Crack, Dateline, Breakaway (post 'improvement') and Catalepsy, etc. Three eluded me before I moved away though; Monoblock, Staminade and Black Magic.

Out of these climbs, Staminade is by far the toughest proposition. It is superbly sustained at Pex 6a/6b and with bolts would probably be 7b+ at Malham. It has had a single solo, in 1991 by a hyper-fit Phil Davidson. Oh, and guess what? It needs a good clean!

In reply to Richard Hession:

You'd think these strong boys would learn to drive.
In reply to andy farnell:

Names I've heard. Mainly from Malham talk with John and Ted, I've met both ages ago at Broughton but don't know either of them. Not bumped into them at Malham as I don't climb 'Sport'!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...