UKC

almscliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nez 06 Feb 2010
what's it been like today? what about tomorrow?
 pdufus 06 Feb 2010
In reply to Nez: foggy today in Harrogate.
 Dave Warburton 06 Feb 2010
In reply to Nez: Went to bridestones today. It was damp, but we did bits and pieces. Depends what your after i guess, mucking around on easier, juggier stuff is fine.
 dunnyg 06 Feb 2010
In reply to Dave Warburton: What you get on?
 sutty 06 Feb 2010
In reply to Nez:

Foggy all day in Harrogate, and wet through though not raining. Bouldering looks like it will be out, just medium grade routing to keep warm.
 Hammy 07 Feb 2010
In reply to sutty: Slipstones was gorgeous yesterday sitting just above the fog-line. T Shirt weather. Damp in places on top so had to be mindful of topouts.
 Dave Warburton 07 Feb 2010
In reply to dunnyg: nowt, wet as <insert mother related joke>...
 sutty 07 Feb 2010
In reply to Hammy:

I was wondering if some of the higher crags such as Slipstones, Rylstone etc would be above the cloud level but would not get someone to drive 40 miles to find out.
In reply to Dave Warburton:
> (In reply to Nez) Went to bridestones today. It was damp, but we did bits and pieces. Depends what your after i guess, mucking around on easier, juggier stuff is fine.

Please try to avoid this at the Kebs (assuming that's where you mean) as it's pretty trashed, and if damp you'll worsen erosion as the rock's harder skin loses cohesion when wet.
In reply to bentley's biceps: Not sure what Kebs is. We were at 'small bay' area, which was the dryest part, that's chipped to f*ck anyway.

Kebs= Bridestones above Todmorden (there's another Bridestones in Yorkshire).

It's not chipped, it's erosion from use. The chips you refer to used to be smears and these have enlarged with usage. The nature of the rock means it has a hard shell, under which is soft grit. Once the shell is broken it erodes very quickly, with the result you have seen.

This problem is much much more likely if you climb there when it is even slightly damp.
In reply to bentley's biceps: No, they're chips. In the small bay area, they are without doubt chips

I know what you mean though about the dampness.

Kebs = bridestones in West Yorkshire, OK, cool as i'm from the northyorkshire bridestones area

OK, the big square holes/fireplace are chips, but the rest of the mess isn't.

Although the old chipped shapes now have a hard surface and don't erode too much.

Shame, a great venue ruined.
 brieflyback 07 Feb 2010
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Hammy)
>
> I was wondering if some of the higher crags such as Slipstones, Rylstone etc would be above the cloud level but would not get someone to drive 40 miles to find out.

Might have been yesterday, but definitely not today. And Rylstone can't dry out that quick anyhow...
 Hammy 07 Feb 2010
In reply to Hammy: Argh. It did that for about 10 minutes up at 'Keb'. Was enough to dry some of the rock out, mind you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...