UKC

NEWS: Brits Continue New Routing in Chamonix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Feb 2010
[Pete Benson leaning out to battle with the final pitch of Captain Caveman, 3 kb]Pete Benson and Nick Bullock have been back in action in the Rive Gauche area near Chamonix, completing a string of new routes in a ground-up Scottish style.

Here Bullock describes the hardest route - Captain Caveman (M7+, VIII,9):

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=51797
 alkira 10 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:
more holiday snaps from the boys in chamonix-
does anyone really care?
 Ian Parnell 10 Feb 2010
In reply to alkira:
"more holiday snaps from the boys in chamonix- does anyone really care?"

I agree I hate hearing about other people climbing, I mean why would anyone want to read about new routes in the Alps, taking a new slant on a popular area. If that Bullock bloke doesn't watch it he might give people some inspiration in their own climbing and we need to keep them miserable so Alkira can have some "mates" to whinge with.

francoisecall 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Ian Parnell: Another little new route by 2 bumblies (D.Tunstall amd myself). See website www.ice-fall.com. "Benediction" Scottish mixed 5 in another very popular area - Argentiere la Bessee. Please go and look at it, it's great fun and makes great holiday snaps!
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Hey buddha get off your phat derrier and get hill billy boys route on Scafell sorted, looks well good and proper.
In reply to francoisecall:

Those ladies should be up on the jorrasse, battling black ice and powder, not posing about the valley crags, i asks you.
 Ian Parnell 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Conquistador of the usless: I tried but it was plus 5 and rising and my next outings are further North so prob no cigar this season. Agree with you about those media "men-of-the-night" messing around in the foothills just 'cause they can't get their camera crew into position on real routes.
 alkira 10 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News: these guys are suffering from celebrity-itis....canna go two days without seeing there name in print!!!!
 Jack Geldard 10 Feb 2010
In reply to alkira: Well Andy if you give us a quick run down of all the ground up VIII,9 FA's you've done in the last couple of weeks I'll happily put them straight up on the news page for you, then you can bump Bullock and Benson off top spot and we won't have to read about them any more, the pair of pansies.

I even heard that Bullock guy is writing a book all about himself! Can you believe that, like as if climbing all those amazing routes all over the world is interesting to anyone. What a poser! And he drinks wine!

Cheers,
Jack

Frank4short 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

> And he drinks wine!

Puff!!
 Diggler 10 Feb 2010

WINE!!!!! Cant be a proper climber then.
 francoisecall 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Frank4short: And they did not even have photographers and helicopters there! Does it count then?
In reply to UKC News:
Does anyone know what Jeff Mercier's comment on the route was....another man with strong opionions, that might make interesting reading?
 Jack Geldard 10 Feb 2010
In reply to Dr Fran (Vagabond MC): It's on his blog Fran.

He thought that Bringing Back the Bacon was (excuse my French translation half via Google of course!) "Not too physical and good fun climbing from tuft to tuft".

You can read it in French here:

http://jeffmercier.blogspot.com/

Cheers!
 alkira 10 Feb 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Jack your report just brought on an acute bout of sour grapes- I drove into work in Inverness this morning and out west the hills were very white and sun drenched
 French Erick 10 Feb 2010
yep.
he's appreciative of the quality of the lines and of the vision. Doesn't make it sound like he found it too hard.
So here is my thinking. Eurocraggers can possibly climb harder (average climber) but cannae see and smell shit if they had their noses on it.

I'd rather be weak and know what I'm going for =) (I was born in that land and completely understand their lack of vision...comes from the bolt upbringing).
petejh 11 Feb 2010
Well Andy if you give us a quick run down of all the ground up VIII,9 FA's you've done in the last couple of weeks I'll happily put them straight up on the news page for you, then you can bump Bullock and Benson off top spot and we won't have to read about them any more, the pair of pansies.

When posting on here about somebody else's FA it appears to be quite difficult to avoid the implication by Mick or yourself of being a moaning wanker unless the poster posts unquestioning blind praise. How about objectivity? Your 'how many really hard grades have you ground up'd' argument doesn't hold water, you should have said 'how many unconfirmed really hard grades have you ground up'd'. Jeff Mercier reports he found one of the reported routes to be 3 grades easier than reported on here (M5 c.f. M6+) so the other route may not be a ground up of a M7+ as you've reported, it might be an M6 (doubt it though). If you're therefore serious in your offer to report on every new mixed routes of a claimed difficulty which ends up being three grades easier then I'll start sending you some of the worthless choss shite I've dragged myself up, found really hard and which ends up not being anywhere like as hard as I thought.

In vain hope of not being labeled a moaning wanker I should say that I'm not having a pop at the FA's because fcuk knows I've overgraded things and those routes look absolutely brilliant and inspiring to climb, and they also might lead to more interest in that style of mixed route around the ice crags in the alps. Good effort to them for sticking their nuts where no frenchman has put theirs before. But it puzzles me why media like you report grades of new routes without adding a caveat such as 'unconfirmed' or something along those lines until a route gets at least a second ascent? Forgive my cynicism, could it be because the people involved may just be a tiny little bit sponsored? Do you mostly report about people who are sponsored because that's where your biggest source of revenue lies? Or is it because the usual suspects are the only ones who care enough about their image to send you reports? After all it's not necessary for the record to send reports to ukc, a note in the OHM book is all that's needed.
To put it in context - at least two new grade VII 8's (unconfirmed) have got done ground up in Wales so far this winter, the FA's aren't sponsored. You didn't report them even though a cursory 30 second glance of baggy's blog twice a week would have told you about them. Personally I honestly don't care what's reported on your site or any other, but I confess to being a little bit interested in the whys and hows of why some people's spray sprays across my laptop screen more than other people's spray.

IMO it would make your reports more credible if you were to report FA's with just a rough grade such as 'mid M's' or 'mid-grade scottish' until at least the second ascent (it works for Dave Macleod, didn't he sell an entire video on the back of an ungraded route?). Then readers like me would maybe start to believe that ukc were doing a little bit more than just trying to bring home more advertising bacon (see what I did). Like I said not knocking the FA's (the routes look brill) but I'm questioning the style of reporting of new routes on here and elsewhere.

Cheers.
The view from the infirmary.
 Michael Ryan 11 Feb 2010
In reply to petejh:

Hi Pete,

You are right. All first ascents should have the disclaimer, the first ascensionist offers the grade of XX, or suggests XY.

That is the nature of climbing grades.

Then if the route is repeated the repeat ascensionists opinion should be reported.

Eventually a consensus may emerge.

There are many examples of wrong, often inflated grades all over the world.

Mick

petejh 11 Feb 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Do you think the media should apply disclaimers or the climbers should?
 Michael Ryan 11 Feb 2010
In reply to petejh:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Do you think the media should apply disclaimers or the climbers should?

Both certainly and many climbers do, for example Steve McClure. We are one of the only climbing media who do question grades.

Dave MacLeod is similar

Of Rhapsody he said, "Because of the very high technical difficulty and the danger, I thought a tentative E11 7a was warranted. "

I wrote, "The Scottish climber Dave MacLeod, 27, has established what is perhaps the world's hardest traditional rock climb."

Jack wrote a piece on the subject here: E is for mEdia

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1189

The biggest downgrades of recent times have been James Pearson's The Promise ...E10 to between E7 and E9, multiple ascents, and James's Walk of Life which he gave E12...repeated by MacLeod who thought E9.... the E12 was used on Wild Country and Climb magazine posters and covers to sell product. Many John Dunne routes have been downgraded. There are lots of examples.

In the USA... of the first 5.14a's I think 9 have been downgraded to 5.13.

Downgrades are common.

Mick
Thanks Jack...."this route could become a classic of the sector..." Monsieur Mercier has obviously finally got over being beaten to the Lyre last year, or the Prozac has kicked in...
 francoisecall 12 Feb 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ever climbed without worrying about grades?
 Michael Ryan 13 Feb 2010
In reply to francoisecall:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Ever climbed without worrying about grades?

For the last 30 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...